Free Settler or Felon?

Ebenezer Estate 1841
 Lake Macquarie

Search the Free Settler or Felon Database
Home
Lake Macquarie



The Ebenezer Estate belonged to Rev. Lancelot Threlkeld. Find out more here

Newspaper Extract......

To be Let for a Term of Years

Part of the Ebenezer Estate, consisting of about one thousand acres of land, adjoining the newly established Ebenezer Coal Works, Lake Macquarie.

There is a good, near, comfortable family house, eighty feet by twenty seven feet six inches, containing ten rooms, small pantry and dairy, with verandahs. The out houses are, kitchen, store, barn sixty by forty feet, three huts for men, two stockyards, milking sheds, piggery, and other conveniences. The garden of about three acres, is well stocked with fruit trees of every description, and vines of fifty varieties. There are eight paddocks, about three hundred acres, enclosed with a secure substantial four railed fence. subdivided by three rail fences, of which, five paddocks are cleared for cultivation - two are in British grasses. There is also a quantity of first rate brush land not yet brought into cultivation.

The place is admirably adapted for breeding choice stock, horses especially, for which there is every convenience, or for a dairy, there being an extensive run adjoining, A thoroughbred Colonial horse and mares, together with some milch cows and other suitable stock, may be taken at a fair valuation; likewise the household furniture, together with a team of bullocks, dray, cart, and farming implements; and immediate possession may be given. There is a convenient bathing house, and the property is admirable suited for a family, or for an invalid desirous of a beautiful healthy residence on the margin of a lake extending upwards of twenty miles.

The distance from Newcastle, by a bridle road, is about sixteen miles, but the carriage road is twenty four miles, north to Newcastle or Maitland, and seven miles south to the township of Newport. There is now a weekly conveyance by the cutter Thomson to and from Sydney, connected with the Coal Works adjoining the reserved part of the grant, the which conveyance will become more frequent, as soon as the coal vessels adapted for the navigation of the entrance of the Lake are completed. The increasing population at the Colliery will occasion a demand for produce irrespective of the Sydney market.

To persons possessing agricultural experience, intending to breed select stock this property is strongly recommended.

Further particulars may be known at the office of Messrs. Foss and Lloyd, George St. Sydney or of the proprietor on the premises.  - 
Colonial Observer 23 December 1841

 

web counter