Hunter Valley Inns & Hotels

Prince Albert Inn

Mt. Thorley

 


   
In 1843 William Cook announced that he was commencing business at The Windmill Inn halfway between Black Creek and Jerry's Plains. 

This had formerly been the house of Phillip Thorley

William Cook was granted a license again in 1844.

Morris Magney was granted a license for Prince Albert Inn at Mt. Thorley in 1845. He had previously been innkeeper at the Robin Hood Inn at Jerry's Plains.

The Prince Albert was considered a comfortable stage from Black Creek and Jerry's Plains. Magnay promised every comfort to accommodate the public at a very economical charge. He boasted a choice collection of wine, ale, porter and spirits from one of the first houses in Sydney. Stockyards for sheep and cattle were provided. (1).

Magney was granted the publican's license for the Windmill Inn in April 1847.

In 1847 at the annual licensing meeting attended by Magistrates James Glennie and William Russell, Morris Magney's application to transfer the license from the Windmill Inn to the Queen Victoria at Glennie's Creek was accepted. (2)

Later Morris Magney moved to Newcastle where he took out the license for the California Hotel



References:

(1). Maitland Mercury 22 November 1845

(2). Maitland Mercury 24 April 1847

 

 

web counter