Hunter Valley Inns & Hotels

White Swan Inn

Murrurundi

 


John Perrel Wilkie took over the license for the St. Aubin's Arms from George Chivers  and re-named it the White Swan Inn. He was granted a publican's license in June 1841.

John Wilkie had previously held the license for the Bush House at Halls Creek (1840) and operated a store in Murrurundi

John Wilkie's wife Grace Marshall Wilkie died on Friday 29th September 1843, 10 days after giving birth to a son and was buried in St. Luke's church yard Scone. The Inn was then advertised for lease, however Wilkie held the license until 1844 when he became a victim of the financial crisis gripping the country. 

There was a comfortable bar and taproom, four parlours and eight bedrooms, an excellent and well finished kitchen, good storerooms, servants' rooms; stabling for 14 horses, fowl and duck houses and yards, sheds, six roomy stockyards, a most excellent well of water and paddock of 80 acres.(56) The White Swan was described as a first rate country Inn. The house and offices were considered spacious and it was thought that the business of Wine and Spirit Merchant could be combined with that of hotel keeper. (33)

In January 1845 Mrs. Mildred Ellis was granted a publican's license and in June 1845 James Cox was granted a publican's license. (1) James Cox had previously held a publican's license for the Union Inn at Petwyn Valley, Scone (granted in October 1844.) (1)

In May 1846 an auction of the household furniture and other effects was held. The articles included iron and wooden bedsteads, dining and other tables, cane bottom chairs, china, cut glass, plate, crockery, cooking utensils, bar fittings and everything requisite for a first rate Inn. Six Years' Interest of an unexpired lease of a garden and cultivation paddock of abut 17 acres was also for auction. (7)

 

 

References:

(1) State Archives NSW; Series: 14401; Item: [4/76-77]; Reel: 5059.. Ancestry.com. New South Wales, Australia, Certificates for Publicans' Licences, 1830-1849, 1853-1860

(33)Maitland Mercury 9 March 1844

(34) Maitland Mercury 3 June 1846

(56) Maitland Mercury 8 April 1843

(7) Maitland Mercury 30 May 1846

 

 

 

 

web counter