Home Bushranger Index Colonial Events Colonial History
Convict History Convict Ships Index Convict Ship Captains Surgeon Superintendents
Hunter Valley History Inns & Hotels Medical Practitioners Settlers Index
Steamers Immigrants Lake Macquarie Links Law & Order
Maitland History Links Newcastle History Links History News Feeds Hunter Valley Place Names

Wollombi Links

Wollombi residents 1840s and 1850s........

 

 

Waugh's Australian Almanac 1863

 

1832 Calendar and General Post Office Directory

Wollombi 1830s - William Henry Breton -  Excursions in New South Wales, Western Australia, and Van Diemen's Land, During the Years 1830, 1831, 1832, and 1833 By William Henry Breton

Sir Thomas Livingstone Mitchell's Expedition in 1831

Wollombi Bridge Party 1836 - A Narrative of a Visit to the Australian Colonies By James Backhouse

Convict Trail Project

Wollombi Valley Online

Wollombi Valley

Mulla Villa

Wollombi cemetery

An Historical and Statistical account of New South Wales - John Dunmore Lang 1837

 

 

 A6678-v-021 - Wollombi Public School, c. 1880, NSW, Australia
Wollombi Public School c 1880. Cultural Collections, University of Newcastle

Churches at Wollombi

St. Michael's Catholic Church

In 1840 Rev. Lynch performed divine service in the Wollombi district. Construction of a church was started early in the year when land was donated for the purpose by John McDougall. The foundation stone of the Church of St. Michael was laid in October 1840, however it was some time before the building was completed. In 1843 it was described as a neat stone edifice about 40 feet in length. The roof was shingled and the floor had been laid but the building was still without doors or windows when the first Mass was celebrated. Some of the early Catholic parishioners were buried in the Churchyard of this church near Cunneens Bridge until the area flooded. Later, Catholics were buried in the Roman Catholic portion of the Wollombi Cemetery.'

St. John's Anglican Church

St. John, Wollombi, NSW, Australia

CHURCH LANDS - Mr. Surveyor White has been fully employed here during the past week in surveying small portions of the crown lands for sale and measuring grants for the Protestant, Catholic, and Wesleyan burial places, and also an acre of land for the Protestant community on which to build their church, and which presents a capital site for that purpose. Mr. White, during his short sojourn here, has docked a few estates of their fair proportions. Three hundred acres of land, with a new stone cottage thereon, with orchard and other improvements, were swept away from one estate as the property of her Majesty.  Maitland Mercury February 1846

The above survey in 1846 was in response to applications from settlers of the district. Tenders were called for Carpenters and stonemasons to begin work on the St. John's Anglican Church soon after and it was around this same time that a cemetery was established at Wollombi.

Yesterday the newly erected church of St. John the Evangelist, Wollombi erected from the designs of Edmund Blackett, Esq., of Sydney, architect, was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Newcastle, in the presence of a numerous congregation. At eleven o'clock, his Lordship, attended by his chaplains, the Rev. G. R. Boodle, M.A., and H. O Irwin, M.A., was met at the entrance of the church by the Rev. C. P. N. Wilton, M.A., acting as chancellor, C. Child, Esq., B.A., acting registrar, the Revds. R. T. Bolton, M.A., C. Spencer, M.A., R. Chapman, B.A., J. Cooper, J. Rodwell, E. Williams, and J. F. R. Whinfield, and some of the principal inhabitants of the district. The petition for consecration having been read by the acting registrar, his Lordship commenced the service of the day by reading the appropriate prayers; and the deed of consecration having been read by the chancellor, the service was proceeded with by the Rev. R. T. Bolton, the officiating minister; after which an excellent sermon was preached by Rev. H. O. Irwin, and the sacrament of the Lord's Supper was administered by the Lord Bishop, assisted by the Rev. G. R. Boodle. After the service at the church was concluded, his Lordship, attended by the clergy and a great number of the inhabitants, proceeded to the burial ground prettily situated on the Maitland road, which was then consecrated according to the usual form. The church of St. John the Evangelist, which is the first church consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Newcastle is a neat specimen of the pointed Gothic style, and, though small, is a great ornament to the romantic valley of the Wollombi.

Maitland Mercury February 1849

 

 

 

web counter