Home Free Settler or Felon Links Page Newcastle Adamstown Miners 1901 Australia's Strongest Sports Centre County Electors Newcastle 1855
New South Wales
|Adamstown Public School Adamstown Trades Primitive Methodist Church|
|Adamstown was established in 1869 between the Borehole and New Lambton where Thomas Adams of Blane Street, Newcastle purchased 54 acres of Crown land. He planned to subdivide the land into small allotments to be sold at reasonable rates so as to encourage settlement however the land was sold to Thomas and Henry Bryant who later subdivided it.
The Post Office constructed in 1875, was located in Victoria Street. Mrs. Anne Syme was the first postmistress. Also situated in Victoria Street for many years was the Police Station which was manned by one officer until 1899 when a second constable was appointed.
Described in the Newcastle Directory 1881 as a village about four miles from Newcastle, Adamstown could boast a stately Public School, Mechanics' Institute and Assembly Rooms where concerts etc were held. There were three hotels, four general stores and one place of worship to cater to the population of 400 - mainly coal miners and their families. The public school had an enrolment of 250 pupils The schoolmaster was Mr. R. McCredie with Miss Conolly the assistant.
The Newcastle Primitive Methodist Church established a church in Adamstown in 1874. Cornelius Decker commenced a Sunday School in May. For an account of the early history of the church in Adamstown select Wesleyan Chapel .
By 1891 the population of Adamstown had reached 2,030 and ten years later in 1901 the population had increased sufficiently to support communication with the city of Newcastle by rail, tramway and omnibus. A large public hall had been constructed as well as three churches, fire brigade, Council Chambers and a brick works - a popular spot for local children to fish for yabbies.
The School Master in 1900 was J.C. Cosgrove, Postmaster - William Lee, Fire brigade Captain - James Bullerwell, Baker - John Sheedy, Butchers - Arthur Bush and R. Talbott, Medical Practitioner - Dr. A. J. Harwood, Storekeepers - J. E. Davenport, A. E. Eldrid, T. Hedley, W. Johnson, T. Robinson, A. Taylor, C. Turnbull and Ann Turnbull
Soccer was a popular sport in Adamstown and many of the town's sons went on to represent Australia as Soccer internationals. The first meeting was held in a cricket shed at Adamstown Park on Monday 12 July, 1889. A further meeting was held on 21st August 1889 when the decision was made to name the club Adamstown Rosebuds. The first colours were - White shirt, blue sash and dark trousers of knee length. The 1925 squad won the State Championship - the Gardiner Cup - and helped move the balance of power in NSW soccer to the north. Seven members of that team were selected to play in the northern representative team against the touring English professionals that year.
House built by William Lambert, Victoria Street Adamstown c.1900
James Mitchell (Jim) Bailey Street Adamstown c. 1920's (from the collection of J & I Savage)
Margaret Isabella Mitchell (Gurr) 'Bella' c. 1920. Resided in Adamstown all her life. (From the collection of J & I Savage)
Rosebuds Soccer Fottball Club under 18 premiers 1917. Back row: E. Bell, R. Pollock, R. Bruin, R. Walker, A. Lambert, F. Brockman.
Seated: T. Turpin, H. Johns, G. Blackmore, D. MacAlister
Front row: E. Cassidy, C. Davis
Adamstown Rosebuds Football Team - State Champions (Gardiner Cup) Northern District Champions (Kerr Cup). Season 1925. Back Row - (L to R) J. J. Cameron (pres), A.Harris, A. Smith, A. Lambert, Second Row: D. Williams (Selector), L. Bailey, J. Bush (Vice-Cap), V. Turnbull, P. Doyle (Cap), J. Cameron (treas), Front Row: A. Harris, A. Cameron, G. Russell, D. McCalister, A. Dunne, H. Dent, R. Lindus (Mascot), Inset: J. Johns, C. Weatherburn (Selector)
Arthur Lambert _ Newcastle Soccer. c. 1980's
Adamstown Ellis Cup Winners 1905 Click to enlarge
Back: T Jennings Trainer, F Rushman Linesman, R Matthews Chairman, W Da ? (Day ?) Vice President "
Next Standing: J Pollock Hon Treas, J Hall Vice Pres, W Ambler Vice Pres, R B Talbot Pres, A Edden MLA Patron, S Powell Vice Pres, D Filby Vice Pres, J Roddom Delegate
Sitting: J D Hamilton Sec, F Elgey, J Watt, J Nix, RR Elgey Capt, J Doyle, F Jennings, W Harris, R Lord Manager
Front: M O Hagen, W Maxwell, W F Hamilton, George Thomson 'Tam'Russell (holding the ball), E Clarke, David Gibson Russell (brother of George) My thanks to Robert Russell for supplying the above photograph
Where did your parents/grandparents go to school?
Select HERE to read an article from the Sydney Herald written in 1936 giving a brief history of schools at Mayfield, Wickham, Bolton Street and Cooks Hill, Adamstown and New Lambton, Wallsend, Plattsburg, West Wallsend, Tighes Hill, Stockton, Islington and Merewether. Includes lists of headmasters of the various schools.
Laying the Foundation Stone at Adamstown Public School - Newcastle Chronicle 30 August 1878...........
ADAMSTOWN PUBLIC SCHOOL PRINCIPALS
(Showing Dates of Appointment)
Robert McCredie - July 1877
Andrew Herd - January 1889
Louis Price - October 1889
William Bateson - April 1891
Arthur Buchanan - May 1896
John Cosgrove - June 1899
A. Cousins - November 1903
John Porteous - April 1904
Walter Vout - April 1911
J.R. Bridle - August 1913
Patrick Riley - January 1918
Stanley Callaghan - March 1924
George Martin - November 1924
W.L. Frew - May 1925
Michael Mahoney - May 1929
John Curry - January 1931
Horace Martin - November1935
Frederick Tyler - July 1940
Cyril Jones - January 1944
Samuel McMartin - January 1952
Arthur Butterfield - May 1958
Leonard Kaye - January 1961
Alan West - May 1963
John C. Brown (Acting Principal) - August 1973
Victor Bensley - January 1974
ADAMSTOWN PUBLIC SCHOOL -
Click to enlarge
ADAMSTOWN TRADES AND PROFESSIONS 1901
(Federal Directory of Newcastle)
Sheedy, John, Union Street
Baker, George M., Brunker Rd. Howell, David, Glebe Rd.
BOOT & SHOEMAKERS Farmer, J.M., Brunker Rd. George, E., Brunker Rd. Hansen, P., Union Street
BRICK MANUFACTURERS Adamstown Steam Brick co. Cottrell, Thomas, New Lambton Estate Hammon, Wm., New Lambton Estat4e Wood, James, New Lambton Estate
BUS PROPRIETORS Dowling, W., William St. Howarth, Henry, Brunker St.
BUTCHERS Bush, Arthur, Narara Rd. Talbott, R. B., Union St.
CABINETMAKER Gray, James, Crown St.
CARRIERS Jenkins, S. Thomas St. Johns, James, Thomas St. Johns, Thomas, Fairfield Talbott, E.A., Thomas St.
DRAPER Shaw, Anthony, Brunker Rd.
HAIRDRESSERS Davis, William, Union Street Hall, J.F., Union St.
HOTEL KEEPERS Adamstown, Turnbull, S., Union Street Royal Crown, Carnley A., Union Street Royal Standard, Simmonds, Joseph Victoria Street,
MEDICAL PRACTITIONER Harwood, Dr. A. J., Charlestown Rd
MILK VENDOR Bell, Thomas Brunker Rd. Robinson J., New Lambton Estate
NEWSAGENTS Davis, J. Belmore Rd. Johnson, William, Brunker Rd
PIG FARMER Strick, Wm., Henry, Charlestown Rd.
STOREKEEPERS Davenport, J. E., Bourke Street Eldrid, A.E., Union Street, Hedley, Thomas, Brunker Rd., Johnson, William, Brunker Rd., Robinson, T. Union Street, Taylor, A.C., Glebe Rd., Turnbull, Charles, Victoria Street, Turnbull Ann, Union Street,
TAILORS Dodd, A. Union Street Shaw, A. Brunker Rd.,
THEATRE COMPANY Carrington Hall Company
UNDERTAKER Gray, James, Crown Street.
CONSTABLE Daniel Fay
STATION MASTER Hall, William, Victoria Street
NEWCASTLE PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHURCH, ADAMSTOWN
Adamstown originally was part of the Newcastle Primitive Methodist Circuit, which began with the formation of a society in 1852. The beginning of the work in Adamstown came with the starting of a Sunday School there by Cornelius Decker in May 1874. About three months later Rev. Samuel Gilby, the second minister of the Newcastle circuit, conducted the first service in the open air beside a turpentine log. At the quarterly meeting, on June 1 1874, Adamstown is first officially mentioned in a brief minute, 'That Adamstown came on to the plan'.
Much of the land on which the suburb now built was commonage. The church, like many of the residents, 'sat down' on the land, depending on the Governmental promise that the common would be sub divided and sold.
A little wooden church was first erected on the site now occupied by the Public School, financed by an arrangement with Richard Hall. When the Education Department required a site, it built a school close to the little church and told the Methodists to move to the opposite vacant corner. There was no alternative but to obey, and they removed their church bodily to the site of the Jubilee Church. In July, 1879, an addition was made to the building.
Expansion necessitated a larger church, and in 1884 the present Sunday School Hall was erected. This was a venture of faith, for the scheme cost £700, and there was still no title of the land. It was not until October 30, 1890 after 12 years had elapsed, and after strong efforts to dispossess them were made, that those pioneers had the land legally secured to them.
In 1885 the Newcastle Primitive Methodist circuit was divided with Rev. John Penman as first minister of the newly formed Burwood (Merewether) circuit. The work extended, and a second minister, Rev. Wm. Atkinson, was appointed three years later.
In 1892 the Charlestown circuit was formed, with Rev. James Green as first minister.
The saddest experience through which these circuits passed was the Dudley colliery disaster, on March 21 1898, when 15 lives were lost. Most of the men were Methodists, chiefly from the Charlestown circuit, but the disaster took from Adamstown its 'grand old man, ' Thomas Hetherington.
With the coming of Methodist Union in 1902, Adamstown was formed into a circuit comprising Adamstown, Cardiff, Charlestown, Dudley, Redhead and Belmont with Rev. John Calvert as first minister. The immediate need was a parsonage. The people rallied to the project and on July 10 1902, only three months after the minister's arrival, a contract for £500 was signed.
A further step was taken when Rev. Alex Stephen initiated a scheme for a modern brick Church. Year by year funds were raised for the purpose, and in 1914 the scheme was about to be launched when the World War intervened. The proposal was delayed until 1824. Then a tender for £5000 was accepted, and the foundation stone laid on May 17. The Jubilee church was opened and dedicated by the President of the conference, Rev. J.C. Hill, On November 15, in Rev. C. J. MacAulay's second term.
The circuit was divided to form the Charlestown circuit in 1925.
In its present activities the church maintains its tradition as a live spiritual agency. The young people are served by Intermediate and Junior C. E. Societies, Senior and Junior Knights and M.G.C. and Ryas. The Intermediate C. E. usually forms the morning choir. A strong Ladies' Church Aid is functioning also a Ladies' Auxiliary to Overseas Missions and a War Comforts Society.
Outside preaching places are Kahibah and Kotara. At the latter services are held in a private house - that of Mr. J. Davies, Gregory Parade. The N.S.W. Development Committee has undertaken the building of a church there as soon as preliminaries permit. A site to serve Kotara and Orchadtown has been secured.
Kahibah church was built by voluntary labour when Rev. Charles Viney was at Charlestown.
Ministers at Adamstown since Union have been Revs. John Calvert, J. Scharkie, A. Stephen, A. Cooper, C.J. MacAulay (twice), J.J. Boyd, J.W. Dains, J.H. Margetts, B.H. Willis, J. Wadkin, P. Williams, W.H. Butler, H.E. Cosier and A. Collins
(Glory Be 1845- 1(Glory Be 1845- 1945. Commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the opening of the First Wesleyan Chapel in Newcastle, p27)
ADAMSTOWN'S SONS IN WORLD WAR 1
Select here to find a list o to find a list of one hundred and fourteen Adamstown men who enlisted in the AIF in World War 1 (from AIF Project site)
Newcastle Morning, Herald article 8.7.1989, Newcastle Morning Herald 3.9.1976,
Newcastle Federal Directory 1901,
The Newcastle Directory 1880.
Adamstown Public School Centenary booklet 1877 - 1977
Glory Be 1845- 1945.
Commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the opening of the First Wesleyan Chapel in Newcastle"