Hunter Valley Inns & Hotels

The Buck's Head Inn

West Maitland


At the licensing meeting held at the Court of petty sessions in January 1844, Edward Richardson applied to have the license of the Buck's Head Inn transferred from Charles Miller Clarke who held it at the time. The application was refused by the Bench.

William Tinson was a cooper in partnership in a brewery with Alexander Berrie in 1842. He was granted a publican's license for the Buck's Head Inn in April 1844. His children were attending school in Maitland at this time where they received prizes for their work. By June 1844 Tinson had resumed trade as a cooper at the rear of the Bucks Head.

In April 1845 a wine and beer license for the Buck's Head Inn was granted by the Magistrates of the district and in October 1846 Tinson was fined 80/- for selling liquor after hours and allowing cards to be played.

In March 1847 he announced he was selling his household furniture and goods by auction prior to retiring from the trade. The license for the Buck's Head Inn was transferred to John Kerrigan at this time.

William Tinson went into ownership of the Burton Brewery with Mr. Clifford in 1847, and about this time appeared in Court after being charged with not having his name painted on his brewers' dray. After considerable discussion by the bench it was decided not to proceed with the case and the charge was dismissed. His partnership with Mr. Clifford was dissolved by mutual consent in May 1848 and an application for a new wine and beer license for the Burton Inn, West Maitland was refused by the Bench in December 1848.  By January 1849 Tinson had decided to leave Maitland for Singleton and he offered for sale by auction his household furniture and articles from the brewery.

John Kerrigan had previously held the license for the Crown & Anchor at New Freugh near Singleton. The first few months at the Buck's Head were not easy. In May John Kerrigan appeared before the Bench after his wife supplied an aboriginal native with a shilling's worth of rum. Two constables passing by noticed the transaction and laid information. John Kerrigan admitted the charge but pleaded in extenuation that he was not present at the time himself or it should not have occurred. The Bench told him that he was answerable under licensing Act for the acts of his wife and that he must be aware of the penalty attending the giving or selling liquor to aboriginals. He was fined 5 pounds and costs.

Also in May, Mrs. Kerrigan had charged a young woman Sarah Johnson with stealing clothing. The case was later dismissed when the Bench found that Mrs. Kerrigan had purchased blankets from the woman. Soon after a lodger at the Inn was robbed of 4 and then a patron Mr. Trinder was robbed in July. In December the family had a narrow escape when one of the children, while going to bed moved the candle causing some clothing to catch fire, the flames rapidly extended to the bed curtains and clothing. One of the children gave an alarm and neighbours put out the fire, although not before the bed and all the clothing were destroyed. Mr. Kerrigan was absent at the time and had it not been for the prompt assistance of the neighbours the consequences may have been more serious.

Six months later Kerrigan announced that he was leaving the district. Household furniture; cane seated chairs, American Chairs , Cedar chairs, dining and other tables, hair cloth covered sofa couches chiffonier, chest drawers, pictures looking glasses, clock, fender and fire irons, bedsteads, wash hand stands, mattresses together with a varied assortment of kitchen utensils, Beer engine, kegs, horses and land in High Street were all to be auctioned on the 26th June. Also advertised for sale was a first rate Billiard table.

The Kerrigans moved to the White Conduit House at Larnach's Flat soon after however not before John Kerrrigan was involved in an unusual case in which he was accused of false imprisonment by Constable Boyle of the Maitland Police force and later ordered from Court by Edward Denny Day when he put forward his case.  The Kerrigans remained at the White Conduit ffor only a short time before moving on.

William Price Wall was the next to apply for a publican's license for the Bucks Head Inn. He had arrived on the Ocean in 1823 and in 1835 his ticket of leave was cancelled for gross prevarication before the Maitland Bench. Seven years later he was working as a tailor in Charles Street, Maitland. He chaired an emancipist's meeting at the Settlers Arms in West Maitland in 1843 and later that year he was advertising to sell his business prior to leaving the area.

In 1848 he was back in Maitland and applied for the publican's license in May of that year. This application was however refused by the Bench. (W.P. Wall was granted a Conditional Pardon in October 1849 and in November of that year he advertised two brick cottages in Charles Street for sale as he was leaving for the California gold fields. His infant son William aged 2 years 9 months died of cholera in San Francisco)

William Cheater who arrived on the Eleanor in 1831 transferred the license to James King in December 1854.

Jane Carpenter held the license for the Buck Head in 1859.




web counter