Free Settler or Felon

Convict Ship Andromeda 1833


First Name

Surname / Subject


Use the Search Box above to find your Hunter Valley Ancestor.

Sources and Hints and Tips

Convict Ship Andromeda 1833

Embarked 186 men
Voyage 114 days
Deaths 3
Surgeon's Journal - Yes
Previous vessel: Surry arrived 9 March 1833
Next vessel: Mangles arrived 19 April 1833
Captain Ben Gale
Surgeon Superintendent David Boyter
Prisoners and passengers of the Andromeda identified in the Hunter Valley

The Andromeda was built in Sunderland in 1819. Convicts were transported to Van Diemen's Land on the Andromeda in 1826 and to New South Wales in 1830, 1833 and 1834.[1]

Convicts embarked on the Andromeda came from counties throughout England - Middlesex, Essex, Northampton, Warwick, Southampton, Surrey, Worcester, Dorset, Hereford, Norfolk, Berks, Lancaster, Cambridge, Oxford, Wiltshire, Salop and Sussex.

Most were held on prison hulks prior to transportation. Sixteen year old Thomas Kinggett and John Groves were held on the Hulk Hardy at Portsmouth and transferred to the Andromeda on 8th November 1832; others were held on the York.

Departure from Portsmouth

The Andromeda departed Portsmouth on 17 November 1832.

Surgeon David Boyter

This was David Boyter's 3rd voyage as Surgeon Superintendent of a convict ship. He kept a Medical Journal from 29 October 1832 to 29 March 1833. ........

Front page of the medical journal of David Boyter on the voyage of the Andromeda in 1833

The Guard were embarked in fine weather and under the most favourable circumstances. They were all young men in high health and spirits and completed the voyage without a casualty occurring and were disembarked in the best state of health after a voyage of seventeen weeks.

The convicts were in number two hundred and eighty-six. I received them from the York hulk at Portsmouth. They were mostly young men lately convicted, of very full habit and apparently remarkably clean and healthy at this time. Cholera was very prevalent and fatal on board of the next hulk and from the men having been employed together at work in the dock yard, I was very apprehensive of the disease's appearance on board the Andromeda, but I am happy to remark that with the exception of a mild case of dysentery, not another instance of bowel complaint occurred during the voyage. During the first part of our voyage in crossing the Bay of Biscay we met with a very severe gale of wind, the ship from being just out of port was very ill-provided with tarpaulins and other necessary things to prevent water getting below. The consequence was that the prison was completely inundated and the lower deck was obliged to be scuttled to allow the water to escape below. Many of the convicts were seriously ill from perfect terror but more especially from sea sickness which induced several to the lowest ebb. I was in these cases obliged to administer liberally wine and medical comfort to assist in their recovery. From these circumstances and getting rapidly into a tropical climate sickness prevailed to a greater extent than I had experienced during my two former voyages.

Military Guard

Passengers on the Andromeda included Lieutenant Lonsdale and Lieutenant Armstrong and 29 rank and file of the 21st regt., 5 women and 6 children.

Steerage Passengers

Israel Chapman from the Police establishment and his wife Mary Chapman from London arrived as steerage passengers. In a sly dig at Chapman's past the Sydney Herald on 21st October 1833 reported: Israel Chapman has been appointed Police Runner, an office in itself quite distinct from the ordinary duties of the Town Police. From his extensive acquaintance with the prison population he is infinitely better qualified for such an office than any other person connected with the Police department.. Israel Chapman had first arrived as a convict on the Glory in 1818.

Arrival in Port Jackson

The Andromeda arrived at Port Jackson on 11 March 1833. According to David Boyter's journal, three prisoners had died on the voyage out, all from Continued Synochus. They were John Baker, John Groves and Thomas Kinggett. Another man Robert Ingram died while the ship lay in Sydney harbour.

Convict Muster

The prisoners were mustered on board on 15th March 1833. Convict indents include name, age, education, marital status, religion, native place, occupation, offence, when and where tried, sentence, prior convictions and physical descriptions. There is occasional information about pardons, tickets of leave, colonial sentences and deaths, however no indication where they were assigned.

The youngest prisoners were James Thomas Benn 16, Daniel Foley 14 and Frederick Talbot age 16.

Among the convicts on this voyage were
James Bennet a violin player

William Buckley, chemist and druggist from the Isle of Wight

Henry Brown a merchant and solicitor's clerk

George Lawrence Howard, Bailiff and Publican;


Charles Vaut a 21 year old groom who was born in North America and sentenced to 7 years transportation in Norwich. Charles Vaut would later wreak havoc in the Maitland district before being sent to Port Arthur, Van Diemen's Land.

Notes and Links

1). David Boyter returned to England in August 1833. He was employed as surgeon-superintendent on the convict ships Mermaid in 1830, Camden in February 1831 and the Hero in 1835.

2). Hunter Valley convicts and passengers arriving on the Andromeda in 1833

3).Convict ships bringing detachments of the 21st regiment (Royal Scotch Fusiliers) and Officer in command of the Guard....

Mary departed London 4 September 1832 - Captain Daniels 21st regt.,

Roslin Castle departed Cork 8 October 1832 - Lieuts. Bayley and Pieter L. Campbell. 21st

Andromeda departed Portsmouth 17 November 1832 - Lieuts. Lonsdale and Armstrong 21st regt.,

Mangles departed London 14 December 1832 London

Asia departed the Downs 21 February 1833 - Lieuts. Kelly and Wilson of 6th regt.,

Lord Lyndoch departed Sheerness June 1833 - Lieut-Col. Leahy. Headquarters of 21st

Royal Admiral departed Dublin 4 June 1833 - Lieut. Ainslie 21st regt.,

Aurora departed Portsmouth 4 July 1833 Major Delisle 4th regt.,

Java departed Cork 24 July 1833 - Lieut. Wrixon, 21st regt.,

Neva departed Plymouth 29 July 1833 - Lieut. McEdwin 1st or Queens Own regt.,

Lloyds departed the Downs 25 August 1833 - Lieut. McKnight 21st regt.,

Fairlie departed England 27 October 1833

Bengal Merchant departed 28 March 1838 - Lieut. Dear of 21st regt.,


[1] Bateson, Charles Library of Australian History (1983). The convict ships, 1787-1868 (Australian ed). Library of Australian History, Sydney, pp.350-351, 387

[2] Journal of David Boyter - UK, Royal Navy Medical Journals, 1817-1857 Original data: The National Archives. Kew, Richmond, Surrey.

Site Search