Free Settler or Felon?
Home    Convict Ship Index    Convict Ship Surgeons

Convict Ship Brampton 1823

Share the story of your ancestor's life
Send an email to contribute your ancestor's story to this page (Convicts and passengers from this ship only)

Convict Ships by Year
    Captains Index     Resources 

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850

A       B       C       D       E       F       G       H       I       J-K
 L       M       N-O       P-Q      R       S       T-V       W-Y

Embarked 172 men
Voyage 165 days
Deaths 0
Previous vessel: Princess Royal arrived 9 March 1823
Next vessel: Woodman arrived 25 June 1823
Captain Samuel Moore  
Surgeon Superintendent Morgan Price
Follow the Irish Convict Ship Trail

The Brampton was built in 1817 at King's Lynn for W.J. Bottomley. She was taken up for the East India Company service in 1820, and left the service in 1821 before sailing on a whaling voyage. She was engaged as a convict transport in 1822 and departed London for Cork on 28th July 1822.  

In correspondence dated 17 October 1822 from Dr. Edward Trevor, Dublin, to Henry Goulburn, Chief Secretary, Dublin Castle, Dr. Trevor indicated that he had inspected the one hundred and seventy-two male convicts on the Brampton at the Cove of Cork and that amongst supplies included for the voyage were ‘cheap Paper Books and ink provided for the Establishment of a School’...... Chief Secretary's Office Registered Papers, National Archives.

The Brampton was the next convict ship to leave Ireland bound for New South Wales after the departure of the Countess of Harcourt in September 1822.  

The Military Guard consisted of a detachment of the 3rd Regiment (Buffs). Quarter Master Thomas Coulson and his large family arrived as passengers. Other ships bringing detachments of the 3rd regiment included the Guildford, Shipley, Asia, Surry, Mangles, Asia, Southworth, Countess of Harcourt, Henry, Princess Royal, Eliza  and Phoenix (VDL)

Morgan Price was employed as Surgeon Superintendent. He kept a Medical Journal from 30 September 1822 to 28 April 1823.......

On the 30 September 1822, 120 male convicts were received on board from the gaol and depot of Cork. Many of these men had been in prison for a considerable length of time and several had scorbutic sores. By mid October several prisoners were suffering from catarrhal which Morgan Price treated with bleeding and laxative medicine.   They were still at anchor in the Cove of Cork at the end of October when at the instigation of Mr. Price, two prisoners were punished with 2 dozen lashes for fighting.

Altercations were not confined to the prisoners on this voyage as the Captain of the ship proved to be a violent and abusive man. The surgeon recorded in October his first experience with the difficult Captain Moore, who was hurling abuse at the Officer of the Guard Thomas Coulson (Buffs). A call to arms for both the crew and soldiers had been made and Morgan Price attempted to cool the situation before retiring to his cabin to write a report of the incident. An investigation of the two officers was held early in November by Captains Robouleau and Jones who presented their finding to Lord Colville. Morgan Price was informed that in the event of any future misunderstanding between Thomas Coulson quartermaster of the 3rd Buffs and Captain Samuel Moore, that they should refer the matter to him (Price) and his opinion on all occasion was to be taken.  

The Brampton got under weigh at 2pm on 8 November 1822 and within a week prisoners were again affected with catarrhal. By early December scurvy had made its appearance. On the 7th December they made the island of St. Anthony. (Did not land?)  

A school had been commenced on board and the surgeon reported on the 17 December 1822 that the greatest number of prisoners were very attentive to their schooling and several who came on board were not able to spell or even had any knowledge of the alphabet were able to read with some facility. There was another dispute between Samuel Moore and the Guard in October which seems to have been settled by Mr. Price and in February there was yet another disruption caused by Samuel Moore. The surgeon remarked that he was astonished that they had arrived as far as they had with such a turbulent fellow as Master.  

They came to anchor at Table Bay where they received 12 convicts for NSW including - John Donnelly, Jaan Paap, John Treasure, David Thurman, Jaitze Peet, Stephen Green, John Robson, John Bowers, David Reynoldson, William Rees and John Donaldson.   They departed the Cape on 20 February. Late in March the violent temper of the Captain was again noted and Morgan Price had occasion to question the Captain regarding the supply of rum for the Guard which had all been consumed, although they were supposed to have six months supply.  

The Brampton arrived in Port Jackson on 22 April 1823 and on Monday 28 April the prisoners were landed as per the orders of the Governor Sir Thomas Makdougall Brisbane. The prisoners had been on board for nearly seven months by that time and many were in a weak debilitated state. They were inspected by the Governor in the morning and afterwards distributed throughout the colony.   The Colonial Secretary's Correspondence has lists of assignment of some of the men:
23 men were sent to Parramatta district
7 men were sent to Liverpool
19 men to Airds district
13 men to Minto district
18 men to Windsor
9 men to Bathurst district

When leaving England, Captain Moore had orders (unless he should receive contrary directions from the owner) to go afterwards to New Zealand and take in spars and then proceed to South America. The Brampton was delayed in Sydney in consequence of some of the crew being imprisoned and did not leave Sydney until 23rd July.   On 7th September while on the return voyage from New Zealand to Sydney the Brampton was wrecked in Karadaka Bay. Among the passengers was the Rev. Samuel Marsden. No lives were lost and Samuel Moore and the crew of the Brampton returned from New Zealand to Sydney on the 1st December on the brig Dragon.  

Morgan Price was also employed as surgeon on the convict ships
Martha in 1818,  Almorah in 1824 and the Neva in 1833  

In the National Archives of Ireland, Ireland to Australia Transportation database there are about twenty one men listed who arrived in Australia on the Brampton who later applied to have their wives and families join them in Australia.    

Notes & Links:  

1. Inspection of the convicts of the Brampton  

2. Hunter Valley convicts and passengers arriving on the Brampton in 1823

3. Political Prisoners

4. Timothy Relehan on a list of prisoners applying for their families to be forwarded to NSW......


5. Wreck of the Brampton 23 July 1823.....

6).  Return of Convicts of the Brampton assigned between 1st January 1832 and 31st March 1832 (Sydney Gazette 14 June 1832; 28 June 1832).....

John Fogerty Shoemaker assigned to Cornelius Prout at Sydney

James Murphy Rope maker and butcher. Assigned to James Cox at Maitland

Patrick Mulleady  Sheep shearer assigned to Patrick Coulson at Campbelltown


1. National Archives. Reference: ADM 101/13/3 Description: Diary of the Brampton convict ship from 30 September 1822 to 28 April 1823 by Morgan Price, Surgeon and Superintendent.

2. Bateson, Charles & Library of Australian History (1983). The convict ships, 1787-1868 (Australian ed). Library of Australian History, Sydney : pp.344-345,  384

3. UK, Royal Navy Medical Journals, 1817-1857 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Operations, Inc., 2011. Original data: Admiralty and predecessors: Office of the Director General of the Medical Department of the Navy and predecessors: Medical Journals (ADM 101, 804 bundles and volumes). Records of Medical and Prisoner of War Departments. Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies. The National Archives. Kew, Richmond, Surrey.



web counter