Free Settler or Felon

Search the Free Settler or Felon Database

Convict Ship Captain Cook 1833 


Share the story of your ancestor's life

Send an email to contribute your ancestor's story to this page

(Convicts and passengers from this ship only)

Home Surgeons Ship Conditions
Ship Index / By Year Captains Index Resources

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850

J -K L M N - O P - Q R S T - V W - Y

Embarked: 230 men
Voyage: 113 days
Deaths: 4 Surgeons
Journal: yes
Tons: 452
Previous vessel: Caroline arrived 6 August 1833
Next vessel: Heroine arrived 19 September 1833
Captain William Thompson
Surgeon Superintendent John Morgan
The Captain Cook was built at Whitby in 1826. Convicts were transported to New South Wales on the Captain Cook in 1832, 1833 and 1836.

It may the convicts of the Waterloo, Captain Cook and Heroine that are referred to in the correspondence from Principal Ports and Station in the United Service Journal below.

John Morgan kept a Medical Journal from 4 April 1833 to 10th September 1833........ Two hundred and thirty convicts to be transported on the Captain Cook were received from the York and Leviathan Hulks at Portsmouth on 29th April 1833. John Morgan recorded their arrival in his journal: - The weather at the time of embarkation was remarkably cold, and thus prevailed a general catarrh all over the country as well as towns, commonly called influenza and it seemed to prevail to a considerable extent at Portsmouth and its vicinity and from report among families on shore there was hardly a house, but had some confined, consequently it was natural that we should share its effects.

The Captain Cook departed Portsmouth on Monday 5 May 1833, and had fine weather down the Channel and soon reached a more agreeable climate when the colds and coughs improved.

The surgeon attended them and gave every comfort it was in his power to give........

Indeed I have every reason to speak of their good conduct as auxiliary to our means of having so soon got rid of this troublesome complaint among so many crowded together between decks; it was our daily plan to admit as many on deck as they like even the whole in fine weather. After passing the equator and getting into the latitude of the Cape of Good Hope, we experienced very severe gales and much wet weather and in consequence we had many added to the sick list particularly the ships crew, fourteen at one time laid up with bad colds and other complaints incidental to ships at sea.

From St. Pauls until Bass Strait they had the most dreadful weather imaginable - continually under water, decks below constantly wet, though all the care and use of stoves they could take could not keep the place dry, and bed and bedding remained wet in spite of all they could try.

The Surgeon believed that had we not reached Bass Strait as we did we must have lost most part of the convicts for it was impossible for them to get on deck. The scurvy made its appearance after few months being at sea among those most inactive and it soon spread among others but not to any one who had any work to do for several of them wished to assist either in working the ship or their respective trades. On the whole they behaved well. I had only to punish two all the way, one for threatening to stab and the other for making below against the rules of the ship; the bad weather after leaving St. Pauls was such that it was impossible to do justice below constant heavy sea over the ship that it was the constant work of several to bail and keep the place dry it was no wonder of their increasing in the scurvy and other maladies of more serious nature. The cold also was severe and glad we were to get into a better climate.

They sailed through Bass Strait on the 24th August and arrived in Port Jackson on Monday 26 August 1833, a voyage of 113 days.  

The men were mustered by the Colonial Secretary on 30th August 1833. The convict indents do not reveal where the men were assigned on arrival in the colony. The six youngest were James Clements, Timothy Lane, John Morgan, George Measor, James Nunn and George Spleyemburg all 16 years of age.

Two hundred and twenty six convicts survived the journey. Four had died on the passage out. One man -  William Triggs died in Sydney Hospital in September 1833. Nine of the men suffering from scurvy recovered after a few weeks and were discharged around the 10th September.

The Guard consisted of 29 rank and file of the 21st regt., under command of Captain Armstrong and Lieut. Selon, five women and 7 children. The guard disembarked on 29th August 1833.   Select here to find convict ships bringing detachments of the 21st regiment.

Notes & Links:  

1). George Anderson was 19 when he was tried at the Old Bailey and sentenced to transportation for life. He was assigned to Henry Dangar at Neotsfield on arrival and later became involved in one of the most infamous occurrences in Australian history, the Myall Creek Massacre.

2). Edward Alexander Watkins Hayes aged 24 from Westminster was also tried at the Old Bailey. He was sentenced to transportation for life for forgery. He had been employed as an auctioneer and appraiser prior to his arrest. He was 36 years old when he was granted permission to marry Mary Ann Walkley (arr. free New York Packet) in 1844. He was granted a Conditional Pardon in 1847. Find out more about him here

3). Prisoner James Nunn's mother Abigail Nunn arrived one year later on the Numa  

4). Hunter Valley convicts and passengers arriving on the Captain Cook in 1833

5). Convict ships bringing detachments of the 21st regiment (Royal Scotch Fusiliers).......

Date/ Place of Departure Ship Command of the Guard
4 September 1832 London Mary 1833 Captain Daniels 21st regt.,
8 October 1832 Cork Roslin Castle 1833 Lieuts. Bayley & Pieter L. Campbell. 21st
22 September 1833 Sheerness Camden 1833 Major Thomas Fairweather 21st regt.,
17 November 1832 Portsmouth Andromeda 1833 Lieuts. Lonsdale & Armstrong 21st regt.,
14 December 1832 London Mangles 1833  
21 February 1833 Cork Portland 1833 Captain Frazer, 26th regt.,
21 February 1833 Downs Asia 1833 Lieuts. Kelly and Wilson of 6th regt.,
14 May 1833 Portsmouth Heroine 1833 Captain Mackay
-- June 1833 Sheerness Lord Lyndoch 1833 Lieut-Col. Leahy. Headquarters of 21st
4 June 1833 Dublin Royal Admiral 1833 Lieut. Ainslie 21st regt.,
5 June 1833 Portsmouth Captain Cook 1833 Captain Armstrong 21st regt.,
4 July 1833 Portsmouth Aurora 1833 Major Delisle 4th regt.,
24 July 1833 Cork Java 1833 Lieut. Wrixon, 21st regt.,
29 July 1833 Plymouth Neva 1833 Lieut. McEdwin 1st or Queens Own regt.,
25 August 1833 Downs Lloyds 1833 Lieut. McKnight 21st regt.,
27 October 1833 England Fairlie 1834  
28 March 1838 Bengal Merchant 1838 Lieut. Dear of 21st regt.,



web counter