Free Settler or Felon?

Convict Ship Eliza 1820

Share the story of your ancestor's life
Send an email to contribute your ancestor's story to this page (Convicts and passengers from this ship only)

Home    Convict Ship Index    Convict Ship Surgeons     

Convict Ships by Year
    Captains Index     Resources 

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850

A       B       C       D       E       F       G       H       I       J-K
 L       M       N-O       P-Q      R       S       T-V       W-Y

Embarked 160 men
Voyage 98 days
Deaths 1
Surgeon's Journal: yes
Tons: 511
Previous vessel: Lord Wellington arrived 20 January 1820
Next vessel: Prince Regent arrived 27 January 1820
Captain Francis Hunt  
Surgeon Superintendent James Marr Bryden R.N.,  

The Eliza was built in Calcutta in 1806 and carried a crew of about 40 men.

This was her first voyage bringing convicts to New South Wales. She was the next vessel to leave England for New South Wales after the departure of the Recovery in July 1819.  

The prisoners to be embarked on the Eliza came from different counties in England, Scotland and Wales. They were held in county prisons before being transferred to London where they were incarcerated in the hulks moored in the Thames to await transportation.

The men from Glasgow were sent to the Justitia hulk on 27th April 1819 and transferred to the Eliza on 9th September 1819. Other prisoners from the Justitia were also embarked on this day.   By the end of September 1819 there were a total of 242 people on board- 160 prisoners who had embarked at Woolwich; 36 guard, 39 ships crew and 5 passengers by order of the Navy Board.

James Marr Bryden kept a Medical Journal from 15 September 1819 to 31 January 1820. 

On the 9th October the ship took on water and provisions and on the 10th October sailed from Spithead and anchored at the Isle of Wight on 11th October, leaving there on the 12th October 1819  

They reached the Equator on the 15 November where the surgeon noted that the prisoners were locked down for three hours while the ship's company and guard 'amuse themselves in the usual ridiculous custom' on crossing the equator.  

After a voyage of 98 days the Eliza came to anchor in Sydney Cove at 9am on 20 January 1820. Six days later Mr. Campbell, the Governor's Secretary and Mr. Hutchinson, Superintendent of Convicts came on board and inspected the prisoners, made note of their descriptions and enquired if there were any complaints about the passage out.  On this occasion several men made complaints of short rations of pork in the early part of the voyage. (Convict Provisions)

The men were disembarked at 6am on 31st January and inspected by Governor Macquarie. One prisoner had died on the voyage out (William Ashley), and two remained convalescent (John Allen and John McIntosh).   On the same day the men were disembarked, orders were given for their distribution to various settlers and public works. Their lives as assigned servants had begun.

There were several younger prisoners, however they may not have been treated differently to the older men as they were assigned alongside them. The Carter's Barracks that later housed younger prisoners was not yet established in that capacity. The youngest prisoners were Duncan Campbell (16); John Charter 16); Jacob James (16); John Jones (16); Samuel Maggs (16); John Parker (16); James Smith (16); Francis Stewart (16); John Watts (14).

Twenty four Eliza convicts were sent by water to the Parramatta district. Eighteen were sent to work on the Western Road party; another four were assigned to William Lawson; Henry Dart was assigned to Lieut. King and William Brown to Mr. Rouse, his father being a teacher. Twelve men were assigned in the Liverpool district and six in the Windsor district. Fifteen were assigned to the agricultural establishment at Emu Plains.  

For the most part they were in for a harrowing few years particularly if they strayed outside the law again. The year following the arrival of the Eliza new regulations regarding tickets of leave were introduced. If prisoners stayed out of trouble they could expect to become eligible for a ticket of leave in a few years time. A ticket of leave entitled a convict to reside where he chose within a Police District. He could work for wages but was obliged to report to the authorities regularly at the ticket of leave musters. Those prisoners with a seven year sentence could have a ticket after four years servitude; for a fourteen year sentence they would serve six years and eight years for a life sentence.  

Charles Tinkler had potential to make it through the next eight years and therefore receive his ticket of leave, but this was not to be. He was a miner by trade and soon after arrival volunteered to work at the coal mines at Newcastle where the work was arduous, food scarce and punishment for transgressions harsh. Although he had volunteered he fell foul of the law when he absconded from the settlement and was declared a bushranger. He was apprehended in January 1822 and sent to Port Macquarie penal settlement......Tinkler's horrific death was reported two years later in 1824 in the Sydney Gazette.....

Foley, an aboriginal black native, was indicted for the wilful murder of one Charles Tinker, a crown servant at Port Macquarie, on the 28th March last. By the evidence it appeared, that the prisoner occasionally lived in the house with the deceased and two or three other white men, and that he was in the custom of going out with the deceased, to shoot ducks and other game; such being an indulgence extended by the Commandant to the deceased, on account of his good conduct. At the instigation of the prisoners, the deceased proceeded upon a fowling excursion, accompanied by the prisoners, two other blacks and the father of the prisoners. No tidings being obtained after 3 or 4 days absence a military party was sent out in search, who was found in a wounded state, a spear having entered the lungs, and still remaining in the body. The poor man was immersed in water, with his head reclining on a stump. At first he seemed insensible; but immediate attention being had to his pitiable condition he recovered sufficiently to give an account of what had happened to him. He was taken to the hospital at Port Macquarie and cared for there by Dr. Moran but died soon afterwards.  

In September 1820 Captain Hunt, Mr. Hall, Chief Officer, Mr. Wallan, Second Officer, Mr. Manners, Third Officer and Thomas Grant, Boatswain all advertised their intention to depart on the Eliza within a few days.    

Notes & Links:  

1). Hunter Valley convicts / passengers arriving on the Eliza in 1820

2). Early convict coal miners at Newcastle

3). George Ison arrived free on the Eliza as a sailor. He was transported to Newcastle Penal Settlement for a colonial crime soon after arrival

4). William Moore was recommended by Commandant Henry Gillman in 1825 to be employed/paid as an Overseer at the coal mines where he had been working for the previous five years.

Peter Ponsonby was assigned to James Mudie at Castle Forbes. He may have been present at one of the most infamous events of the day, the convict uprising at Castle Forbes in 1833. He later testified as to the working conditions for convicts on the estate.

Colonial Events 1820



web counter