Free Settler or Felon?

Home Convict Ships by Year     Convict Ship Index     Conditions on Convict Ships
Search Free Settler or Felon Database?
Links to Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land 1788 - 1850

Convict Ship Mary 1833

Embarked: 170 men
Voyage: 123 days
Deaths: 2
Surgeon's Journal: yes
Tons: 370 Crew: 27 men
Previous vessel: Parmelia arrived 16 November 1832
Next vessel: Fanny arrived 2 February 1833
Captain Alexander Jamieson
Surgeon Superintendent William Conborough Watt
Prisoners and passengers of the Mary identified in the Hunter Valley

The Mary departed London 4th September 1832 with one hundred and seventy convicts bound for New South Wales.


This was William Conborough Watt's fourth and last voyage as Surgeon-Superintendent on a convict ship. He kept a Medical Journal from 1st August 1832 to 23rd January 1833. He had previously been employed as surgeon on the convict ships Edward in 1829,  Roslin Castle in 1830 and the Exmouth in 1831.

His journal entries on this voyage are interesting reading for the descriptions he gives each patient.....

The first entry in his journal is the case of George Barry age 25, one of the soldiers of the 21st regt., who had embarked with his detachment on 6th August from Chatham. He was healthy on arrival at the ship however deteriorated rapidly and was found to be suffering cholera. He remained in a serious condition for a fortnight.

The next case was Henry Bellamy A young man of a fair, scrophulous complexion and plethric habit of body; got wet a few days and thoughtlessly lay down in his clothes.

Benjamin Millwood, convict, age 21 was described as a London blackguard of the lowest description whose constitution had been destroyed by the commission of every species of vice and a consumptive scrophulous habit of body.

Thomas Tomlins convict, was a robust plethoric man with a particularly large head and short thick neck.

John Knowells, convict, was an athletic country man and a shoe maker by trade who had led a very irregular life and had been in the habit of using a great quantity of ardent spirits supplied him by the ships company for doing jobs for them.

Henry Bernard - A young man superiorly connected whose constitution has been ruined by a long series of debaucheries

John Marshall - a stout athletic man of an indolent temperament. -Scurvy. Departed this life 22 December 1833 at 8am.

Others treated by the surgeon included Charles Griffiths, James Lonsdale, Gabriel Moss, Henry Taylor, George Barlow, Matthew Elliott, Thomas Blucher, Richard Mason, William Henry Barnard, William Appleby, David Cameron, Jonathan Leach, George Anty, Thomas Stevens, William Clay, William Aughie,  William Flanner, Edward Baldwin (sent to Sydney Hospital on arrival)

William Conborough Watt's opinion as to the beneficial effects of the acetous solution of nitre in the cure of scurvy as outlined by Charles Cameron which was used successfully on the voyage of the Exmouth in 1831, brought Dr. Watt into conflict with the Master of the Mary Alexander Jamieson who disapproved of Watts' reluctance to administer lime juice to the convicts and later made a formal complaint against him.

William Watt detailed every difficult circumstance caused by Captain Jamieson for the information of the Commissioners of the Admiralty. .......He received every specie of annoyance from Captain Jamieson throughout the voyage who adopted every means to render the convicts discontented and uncomfortable.

The prisoners were short changed on their rations and the decks were lumbered with goods so that there was little room for exercise.


Passengers included Richard Cunningham, colonial botanist (brother of Allan Cunningham), Capt. Daniels, Lieut. J.R. Stewart and soldiers of 21st Regt. or Royal Scotch Fusiliers.


The Mary came direct, and arrived in Port Jackson on 5 January 1833.


1). James Crady or John Jones, 31, Native place Devonshire, shipwright. Originally transported on the Mary in 1833. Escaped from the colony and re-transported on the Roslin Castle in 1834. Escaped from the colony again and returned by the Eden in 1840.

2). Convict ships bringing detachments of the 21st regiment (Royal Scotch Fusiliers) and Officer in command of the Guard....

Mary departed London 4 September 1832 - Captain Daniels 21st regt.,

Roslin Castle departed Cork 8 October 1832 - Lieuts. Bayley & Pieter L. Campbell. 21st

Andromeda departed Portsmouth 17 November 1832 - Lieuts. Lonsdale & Armstrong 21st regt.,

Mangles departed London 14 December 1832 London

Asia departed the Downs 21 February 1833 - Lieuts. Kelly and Wilson of 6th regt.,

Lord Lyndoch departed Sheerness June 1833 - Lieut-Col. Leahy. Headquarters of 21st

Royal Admiral departed Dublin 4 June 1833 - Lieut. Ainslie 21st regt.,

Aurora departed Portsmouth 4 July 1833 Major Delisle 4th regt.,

Java departed Cork 24 July 1833 - Lieut. Wrixon, 21st regt.,

Neva departed Plymouth 29 July 1833 - Lieut. McEdwin 1st or Queens Own regt.,

Lloyds departed the Downs 25 August 1833 - Lieut. McKnight 21st regt.,

Fairlie departed England 27 October 1833

Bengal Merchant departed 28 March 1838 - Lieut. Dear of 21st regt.,


1. Journal of William Conborough Watt on the voyage of the Mary in 1833. UK, Royal Navy Medical Journals, 1817-1857. The National Archives. Kew, Richmond, Surrey.