Free Settler or Felon

Search the Free Settler or Felon Database

Convict Ship Royal Admiral 1833 


Share the story of your ancestor's life

Send an email to contribute your ancestor's story to this page

(Convicts and passengers from this ship only)

Home Surgeons Ship Conditions
Ship Index / By Year Captains Index Resources

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850

J -K L M N - O P - Q R S T - V W - Y

Embarked: 220 men
Voyage: 144 days
Deaths: 6
Surgeon's Journal: yes
Tons: 414
Previous vessel: Lord Lyndoch arrived 18 October 1833
Next vessel: Aurora arrived 3 November 1833
Master David Fotheringham
Surgeon Superintendent Andrew Henderson
Follow the Irish Convict Ship Trail
The Royal Admiral was built at Lynn in 1828.  Convicts were transported to New South Wales on the Royal Admiral in 1830, 1833, 1835 and to Van Diemen's Land in 1842.

The Royal Admiral commenced fitting as a convict transport at Deptford on 29th March 1833.  Andrew Henderson kept a Medical Journal from 3 April when he embarked to 11 November 1833. 

The Military Guard consisting of Lieut. Ainslie, 21st regiment, and 21 rank and file of the 21st regiment; and passengers Quarter-Master Archibald Fairgrieve 21st regiment, six women and 6 children embarked on 13th April 1833. Select here to find convict ships bringing detachments of the 21st regiment.

They departed Deptford bound for Dublin in May, anchoring in Kingston Harbour on the 9th May 1833.

Catarrhal fever (influenza) had prevailed to a considerable extent among the prisoners on board the Essex hulk at Kingston harbour and it was considered inadvisable to embark prisoners before the 16th May. Due to the length of their confinement and indigestible and spare diet a great many of the men were in a debilitated state. However the vessel was delayed in the harbour until 4th June so the prisoners were kept on a full allowance of fresh meat and vegetables and meat and took on a more healthy aspect.

The Royal Admiral  departed Dublin on 4th June 1833.

Andrew Henderson's journal........ The prisoners continued well enough until 18th September when scurvy began to appear. The ship was at this time situated at Lat. 37° South and Long 69° ˝ East.

The surgeon stated that “the prisoners had a sallow cast of countenance, and their faces seemed fatter than natural” and he “could perceive considerable rise of temperature in the affected part…, stiffness of the joints or limbs, general weakness and want of appetite” in a few days the disease became developed in a manner which could not be mistaken for any other disease, in which at first diffuse ecchymoma, then purple and ultimately of a jet black aspect sometimes attended with swelling and hardness. The surgeon pointed out the case of James Reily, that “the posterior part of the lower extremities was as black as tar... his countenance became bloated, swollen and sallow the eyes suffused and as yellow as in icterus or yellow fever”. On the treatment of the disease the surgeon tried the nitrate of potass. dissolved in lemon juice and vinegar in a treatment of scurvy and a small doses of sulphate of magnesia given in a bitter infusion was preferred to any other purgative.

Andrew Henderson was critical of the condition of the convicts when taken from the Hulks and stated to the agent for transports who was present at the muster on the Essex that he could not carry out 220 prisoners in such a debilitated state of health to Sydney without losing at least fifteen of them, in which the agent acknowledged he had never seen prisoners at any former muster look so bad. The surgeon stated his opinion that many of them were not fit when they embarked on board the Royal Admiral, however his view was over ruled by Dr. Trevor Inspector of Prisons and Hulks in Ireland.

The Royal Admiral arrived at Port Jackson on 26 October 1833. The detachment of the 21st regiment landed at the Dockyard on Monday 21st October and marched through the town to the barracks with the Highland Piper at their head, playing a national air.  

Notes & Links:

1). Hunter Valley Convicts and Passengers arriving on the Royal Admiral in 1833

2). The 21st Regiment had its headquarters in Hobart between 1833 and 1839 and dispatched companies to the settlement at Swan River in Western Australia.(1)

3). Lieutenant Colonel Frederick George Ainslie was killed at the Battle of Inkermann in the Crimean war in 1854. (See Military Document appointing him to the position of Lieutenant in January 1833. See Memorial erected by his family)

4). Prevention and Treatment of Sea scurvy by Andrew Hamilton......

5). Convict ships bringing detachments  of the 21st regiment (Royal Scotch Fusiliers).......

Date/ Place of Departure Ship Command of the Guard
4 September 1832 London Mary 1833 Captain Daniels 21st regt.,
8 October 1832 Cork Roslin Castle 1833 Lieuts. Bayley & Pieter L. Campbell. 21st
22 September 1833 Sheerness Camden 1833 Major Thomas Fairweather 21st regt.,
17 November 1832 Portsmouth Andromeda 1833 Lieuts. Lonsdale & Armstrong 21st regt.,
14 December 1832 London Mangles 1833  
21 February 1833 Cork Portland 1833 Captain Frazer, 26th regt.,
21 February 1833 Downs Asia 1833 Lieuts. Kelly and Wilson of 6th regt.,
14 May 1833 Portsmouth Heroine 1833 Captain Mackay
-- June 1833 Sheerness Lord Lyndoch 1833 Lieut-Col. Leahy. Headquarters of 21st
4 June 1833 Dublin Royal Admiral 1833 Lieut. Ainslie 21st regt.,
5 June 1833 Portsmouth Captain Cook 1833 Captain Armstrong 21st regt.,
4 July 1833 Portsmouth Aurora 1833 Major Delisle 4th regt.,
24 July 1833 Cork Java 1833 Lieut. Wrixon, 21st regt.,
29 July 1833 Plymouth Neva 1833 Lieut. McEdwin 1st or Queens Own regt.,
25 August 1833 Downs Lloyds 1833 Lieut. McKnight 21st regt.,
27 October 1833 England Fairlie 1834  
28 March 1838 Bengal Merchant 1838 Lieut. Dear of 21st regt.,


). Grey, Jeffrey, A Military History of Australia, Cambridge University Press, 1999, p. 15


web counter