William Burgess purchased the Farmer's
Glory in 1846 and he advertised the opening of his new Inn on
the premises 'previously occupied by Mr. Samuel Davison'.
The Inn was on the Durham side of the new punt. A wharf was
erected for the shipment of produce by steamers and other craft
and Mr. Burgess thought that families and passengers going to
and returning from Sydney would find the 'Farmer's Glory' a most
convenient lodging. Every accommodation suitable for the
comforts and wants of the public would be provided. The premises
were Burgess's own freehold property and he intended to make
further improvements as well as continue the monthly sales which
for some time had been held at the Yards of the premises. Mr.
Dodds, Auctioneer from Maitland was to conduct the sales
To celebrate the opening of his new Inn, Mr. Burgess
provided a choice selection of spirits and engaged Mr. Cornish
to play his violin. Mr. Cornish, apparently affected by alcohol,
ran into trouble when he abandoned his violin in favour of 'a
number of tricks fancifully termed Bonnetting'. This consisted
of 'giving a smart rap on the capital covering, thereby sending
it down over the eyes of the wearer, when several playful digs
in the ribs are usually administered'. One of the professor's
victims, was Mr. James
Holdstock publican of West Maitland, who when bonnetted
administered 'a sharp kick to that part of the professor which
is not the seat of reason'. The affair came before the police
court when Mr. Cornish charged Holdstock with assault however
the case was dismissed from Court.
Cattle sales took
place at Mr. Burgess' Inn as well as at Mrs. James' Hinton Hotel.
January 1848 William Burgess announced that he had sold the
Farmers Glory to
Mr. Thomas Magner. He thanked the inhabitants of Hinton,
Upper Paterson and Dungog for the liberal support he had
Mr. Magner intended to use
every exertion in his power to promote the comforts of patrons
to his hotel. He offered clean beds and the best of stabling for
horses In July 1849 Magner was selling a number of articles by
auction at his Inn including furniture, saws steelyards carts
kitchen utensils and goats.
In September 1849 Edward
Haylock who had been proprietor at the
Wellington Inn at
Paterson for twelve months announced that he was taking over the
Farmer's Glory lately occupied by Mr. Magner. As well as a
choice stock of wines and spirits he also offered to store, free
of charge, grain for settlers and to make advances upon it until
they received their returns from Sydney.
In 1850 the
license was transferred from Edward Haylock to William Burgess.
Richard Maher was granted a publicans license for the Farmers Glory in December 1854.