In March 1839 he purchased land in the Parish of Butterwick from Alexander Livingstone. Witness to the transaction was Robert Murray. Captain Livingstone had received a grant of land 1,075 acres which he later increased by purchase to 2,000 acres. This became known as the Bowthorne Estate. In 1843, the Estate was put up for auction in 14 lots ranging in size from 45 acres up to 333 acres. Lot 1, of 137 acres, contained "Bowthorne House". Lot 8, 135 acres, was known as "Selwood" and Lot 9, 205 acres as "Hopewell".
In June 1840 a Notice in the Sydney Herald stating that the Partnership existing between George Frederick Barnes Esq., of Selwood, Hinton and Mr. Robert Murray, of Hopewell was dissolved by mutual consent. It was probably this same Robert Murray who took out a publican's license for the Hinton Hotel a few months earlier.
George Frederick Barnes married Jane Murray, daughter of Robert Murray on 24 December 1840 at Hinton. Their two sons Frederick Evans Barnes and William Ernest Barnes were baptised at St. Phillips, Sydney in 1844
George Barnes moved to Victoria approximately 1863. In August 1868 he was appointed public vaccinator in the district of Woodend, Victoria. 
He became ill in 1887........The public will regret to hear that Dr. Barnes continues in a very bad state of health and to make matters still more distressing he is in very reduced circumstances at the present time. For the past two years or more he has been suffering from an incurable disease and being unable to practice his profession his slender means are almost exhausted. Dr. Barnes is a very old Freemason and those of his persona friends might kindly interest themselves on his behalf.- The Colac Herald, Birregurra 11 March 1887
George Frederick Barnes died in September 1887.....Dr. Barnes, a resident of over fourteen years passed peacefully away last Wednesday at the advanced age of seventy four. The deceased gentleman was much respected, but owing to debility had not been able to actively follow his profession during the past two years. He was buried in the Irrewarra cemetery, a long cortege testifying to the esteem in which he was held. The Rev. Howard J. Carr, C.E. assisted by the Rev. William Lyttle, impressively conducted the funeral service at the grave. ON Sunday the Rev. H.J. Carr preached an impressive sermon in which he gave a sketch of the life of Dr. Barnes, and the organist played the Dead March in Saul at the conclusion of the service. Geelong Advertiser - Birregurra . 6 September 1887
NOTES AND LINKS
Death of George Barnes' son in 1918......
Barnes - September 20, at the residence of his daughter Mrs. Lindsay S. Phelps, Gilderthorpe avenue Randwik, Frederick Evans, eldest son of the late Dr. George Frederick Barnes, surgeon, Hinton, Hunter River and Bligh Street, Sydney, and late of Accounts Branch Lands Department in his 78th year. Sydney Morning Herald 28 September 1918
 Sydney Herald 8 April 1839
 Ancestry.com. NSW Australia, Land Grants, 1788-1963 Original data: NSW Government. NSW, Various Land Records. State Records Authority of NSW