in 1824 and was granted 2000 acres in September of that
year. Another 4000 acres were reserved for purchase.
He stocked Edinglassie with fine wool sheep and
acted as superintendent on his brother's estate
Peter Cunningham described the area in
Edinglassie was purchased by
James White in 1839.
James White arrived in 1826 on the
employed by the
to bring a flock of sheep which on arrival he took to
'Retreat Farm at Parramatta before moving them to Port
In 1830 James White left the Australian Agricultural
Company and moved to Ravensworth, the property of
Bowman where he was employed as superintendent.
He purchased Edinglassie in 1839.
In 1852 employees at
included Thomas Way, Joseph Roe, Robert Nicholson, Thomas
Larrance, Kenneth Urquhart, Thomas Byrnes, William Dean,
John Trainer, Patrick Byrnes, Elijah Cartwright, John
McPhee, John McCullum, James Cornish and Benjamin Curn
White senior died in 1842.
Notes & Links:
1). Edinglassie (University of
Newcastle Cultural Collections)....
More about Edinglassie at NSW Heritage