Old Times Road Notes - from Tegg's Pocket Almanac 1842
- Brothers James Tegg (1808) and Samuel Augustus Tegg (1813), booksellers and publishers, were born in Cheapside, London, sons of Thomas Tegg, bookseller, and his wife Mary, née Holland. They arrived in New South Wales in 1834 where they established a 'wholesale and retail book selling business' in George Street, Sydney. One of their publications was the 'New South Wales Pocket Almanac', which appeared yearly from 1836 to 1844.
Following is an extract from the Maitland Mercury 15 October 1887:
Road from Wallarobba to the Upper William and Chichester Rivers......
147. On the right leave the road from Wollombi to Port Stephens and the Manning
150. Pass the north west corner of Mr. Chapman's farm
150½. Cross Wallarobba Creek and follow its course through the grants of the late A.M. Baxter Esq., and Mr. Verge.
153. The Village reserve of Wallaroo on the right is a track to Clarence Town crossing about three miles off the road from the Wollombi to Port Stephens at 152 miles from Sydney
154. Enter Hook's grant
; on the west is Tabbit Hill.
156. Cross Tabbit Creek; higher up this creek are the grants of Mr Ferdinand Anley, and Mr. Grayson Hartley; to the east is Wilhurghully Hill.
157. Melbee the grant of Mr. D.F. Mackay
158. On the right, village reserve of Wihurghully; here the Myall Creek joins the William, the road following the course of the Myall along its western bank.
159. Cross Dorigo and Montyac, two small streams running into the Myall through Mr. C.L. Brown's grant.
159½. On the right, Dungog a high hill, part of the range, dividing the waters of the William and Myall.
161½. Cross the Myall, under another high hill called Puntelva situated in Mr. Thompson's grant.
163½.Grant of Charles Windeyer
Esq., J.P., called Tillegrah; about a mile on the left is Codagot Hill.
164. Cross the Williams River to Canningalla, Sir James Dowling's Farm
About a mile on the right is the confluence of the William and Chichester Rivers. Lower down the William on the north bank are the farms of Mr. W. Foster, and Mr. Lawrence Miles
From Tillegrah there is a track to the south west, following upwards the course of the Myall to the right of Mount Narroul and crossing the range by Mount Windeyer to Park's grant
on the Allyn River.
The course of the William and Chichester is from the west, their sources being in the Mount Royal Hills; they run parallel to each other like the Paterson and Allyn, and about two miles apart.
Between these rivers are the grants of Rookin
and the Messrs Mosman, and on the south banks of the William are the grants of Mr. Mann called Munni; Messrs McLean and McKenzie, called Tanumbuc and Messrs Scott and Adair
The principal characteristics of this district, from Clarence Town upwards, are open forest land, affording excellent sheep pasture, and on the banks of the rivers small flats of alluvial soil, and strips of vine brush, in which are found cedar and other valuable timbers, the track between the William and Chichester is said to be the finest bit of sheep country in the whole colony. Immediately over the range, at the head of these rivers, some plains are visible , there, also the waters of the Manning take their rise. The country extending from the William northwards, towards the Manning for thirty or forty miles is entirely unlocated, being very difficult of access, and much broken by scrubby ranges, separating the many small streams that flow to the Manning and to the Gloucester River which is the principal branch of the Manning.