Notes on the Origins and Locations of Place Names Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley, Liverpool Plains,
New South Wales
A Can't find what you're looking for? Try a site search from the search box below
Aberglasslyn. Co. Northumberland. In 1893 a postal receiving office 123 miles N. of Sydney with mail twice a week. The nearest railway station West Maitland 6 miles on the northern line. A rich rural district on the south bank of the Hunter. - Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Abbey Green - Co. Northumberland. Estate of George Loder on the Hunter River near Singleton. Also owned by Alexander Warren and Archibald Mossman. In 1893 described as a small settlement on the banks of the Hunter.- Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Aberdare - Cessnock district
Aberdeen - Aboriginal name Moonbil. Co. Brisbane. In 1828 Thomas Potter McQueen was granted 10,000 acres between Scone and Muswellbrook. He named this small township Aberdeen after his friend George Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen. In 1893 money order, telegraph offices and govt savings bank. A railway station on the northern line. The district is agricultural and pastoral with some rich flats of cultivation ground. - Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Abernethy - 8 km from Cessnock
Aboriginal Grant - former 10,000 acre grant - for location see Dangar's 1828 map. Wahrah
Adams Green - Also Adams Flat or Black Adams Flat; after Isaac Adam White an Aboriginal man who lived there
Adams Peak - Co. Northumberland. Situated on the W. bank of the Wollombi Brook in parish of Dalton near the junction of Drew's Crek in the Hunter Range - Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Adamstown - Named after Surveyor Thomas Adams, who surveyed the town in 1869. In 1893 a municipal district, governed by eight aldermen and a mayor, situated in parish of Newcastle. Coal mining. Population 2000. - Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Aelaong - Co. in Northumberland bounded on North by Pokolbin
Ahalton Farm - In 1829 James McClymont's farm on the Hunter River adjoining Nelson's Plains. Later owned by Henry Carmichael
Albion Farm - 300 acres owned by John Tucker junior at Patterson's Plains 1823
Albion House - Store belonging to Edward Taylor near the Long Bridge, West Maitland
Albuera - Drummond Mountain range Liverpool Plains. Named by Captain Forbes of 39th Regt.,
Alderley Creek - Stroud.
Alderley House - situated on Bucketts Way halfway between Stroud and Booral. Built c. 1831. Sir W. Edward Parry's wife Isabella was born at Alderley, Cheshire
Alderley Stables - Established c. November 1831 by Sir Edward Parry near Stroud.
Aliceton - Co. Northumberland. In 1893 a post office with mail twice a week. 132 N of Sydney.Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Allandale - After place in Scotland. Grant to Captain Alexander Anderson - Co. Northumberland. Upper Hunter River. In 1893 a railway station on the northern line, post office. 126 miles N of Sydney. - Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Allandale - parish of NSW bounded N. by Branxton; S by Pokolbin; W. by Rothbury. Cessnock district.
Allan's Hill - Newcastle - Called after the Harbour Master Mr. Allan who resided there (1876); also known as Signal Hill; also known as The Sand Hills - Soldiers camped there in 1878 -
Allynbrook - Co. Durham. In 1893 a post office with mail 3 times a week. 152 miles N of Sydney. Nearest railway station West Maitland. - Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893.
Allyn, Mount - Co. Durham. Situated 16 miles N of the village of Eccleston; is a peak of the Mount Royal Range at the head of the Allyn River. - Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893 Allyn River - Co. Durham. Falls into the Paterson River
Alnwick - Parish in Co. Northumberland. Bounded on N. and E. by the Hunter River; W. by Maitland and S by Hexham. Later known as Cock-a-Dingy
Alpha Nursery - Lake Macquarie Road opposite St. John's Church, Newcastle 1860s
Althorpe - Parish in Co. Durham bounded on N. by Vaux; W. and S by Hunter River and E. by Wynn.
Amersham - Cardiff/Glendale - Early name for Joseph Weller's land (1830's)
Anderson's Hill - Belmont. Named after John Anderson Angora Heights - Teralba; also known as Billy Goat Hill Anley's Creek - Creek below Dungog cemetery - named for Ferdinand Anley who held a grant further up. Later known as Cangon Creek.
Anvil Creek - A small tributary of Black Creek flowing through the village of Greta.
Apple Tree Flat - situated at Jerry's Plains
Apple Tree Flat - early name for Killingworth
Arbuthnot Valley - Liverpool Plains. Low lying flat on the E side of Warrabungle Range. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Arcadia Vale - Ideal rustic paradise. Originally named Kirkdale after early settler Joseph Kirk.
Archerfield - Grant to George Bowman in 1825 at the Hunter River opposite the junction of Falbrook
Arden Hall Estate - Estate of John Dowe - 12 miles from Scone
Ardessier House - The house of Alexander Munro, first Mayor of Singleton.
Arnott's Steam Biscuit Factory - Union Street Newcastle built in 1889
Arabella estate - near Underbank Dungog district
Arrarrowine - Run belonging to John Robertson - Liverpool Plains
Arrowfield - George Bowman's grant. Muswellbrook district
Arthur, Mount. Co. Durham. A high mountain a few miles S of Muswellbrook. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Arundinetum - Mirrabooka - The name of Joseph Marshall's property at Sugar Bay and site of the sugar processing plant
Ash Island - Named by Colonel Paterson on June 17, 1801, on account of 'a very excellent wood similar in quality to ash, and grows as large". Estate of Alexander Walker Scott. Also known as Glandville or Greville Island. Situated in the lower part of the Hunter River 3 miles from Newcatle and opposite Hexham. In 1893, 5 miles in length and 2 miles in width. This island together with Mosquito and som other small islands divide the stream of the Hunter into two parts called the North and South Channels, the former being th one used by steamers. - Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Ashton - homestead on Hunter River, Parish Ravensworth (Dangar's Map)
Atunga - Liverpool Plains. Co. Parry. Bosley's station. In 1893 a post office with daily mail from Sydney. Nearest railway station Tamworth.
Auchentorlie Estate - Residence of Police Magistrate Thomas Cook at Dungog
Auckland - Co. Durham, a small agricultural village a short distance to the W of Singleton at the junction of Rix's Creek. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Auckland Street, Newcastle - Named after the Earl of Auckland who was b. 1784; holder of position in British Government
Avoca Point - Co. Northumberland six miles from E. Gosford
Avon River - Co. Gloucester. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893
Awaba - A plain surface. Aboriginal name for Lake Macquarie. Co. Northumberland. Town in Lake Macquarie shire. In 1893 a railway station on the Sydny and Newcastle line. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893