Free Settler or Felon?

Home      Free Settler or Felon LinksIndigenous Names & Events     Settlers Index
Search Free Settler or Felon?
A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K    L    M    N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U    V    W    Y    


Notes on the Origins and Locations of Place Names

Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley, Liverpool Plains,

New South Wales

C

Can't find what you're looking for? Try a site search from the search box below
 


Cabbage Tree Island (Port Stephens) Named so because it is covered cabbage tree palms.

Cabbage Tree Bay - also once covered in cabbage tree palms situated at Norah Head

Cabbage Tree Flats - Stockton

Cabbage Tree - Re-named Williamtown after William Snodgrass, son of Col. Snodgrass

Caderidia Farm - Allyn River

Caergwrle - After a place in Flint, near Gresford, Wales. Estate of William Boydell

Cairnsmore - Grant to Crawford Logan Brown at Paterson River

Calingorady - A creek in district Liverpool Plains; a branch of the Peel River

Callaghan Swamp - George Hall's run

Calore Mount. Co. Northumberland. A peak in the Hunter Range on E. bank of the Macdonald River. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Calory - Co. Durham near Merton. Residence of H.G. Hamilton in 1848

Camberwell - Village situated on Co. Durham; on Falbrook between Singleton and Muswellbrook

Cameron Park - Suburb of Lake Macquarie. Called Esteville previously

Camerons Hill (Hamilton) Subdivision bounded by Belford, Denison, Samdon, Steel and Everton Streets

Campbell's Creek. Co. Durham, a small tributary of the head of the Goorangoola Creek. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Campbell's Hill - Maitland - Named after Patrick Frederick Campbell

Campsie. Co. Durham. An agricultural village on N bank of the Allyn River near Toryburn estate 8 miles from Paterson. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Camyr Allyn - Grant to Charles Boydell - Co. Durham on the Allyn River. Runs among the spurs of a range of hills which attain the height of 3000 or 4000 feet. Hilly ground intersected by deep narrow valleys (1848). Previously called Rossett

Cangon Creek - Below Dungog cemetery. Formerly known as Anley Creek

Canningalla - Estate of James Dowling - Co. Gloucester near the town of Dungog.

Cann's Plains Creek. Co. Parry. An auriferous tributary of the Peel River joining it at Bowling Alley Point diggings.

Cape Hawke - The name given by Capt James Cook to the point on the north of Port Stephens after Admiral Sir Edward Hawke

Cardiff - Amersham. Co. Northumberland. A railway station on the Sydney/Newcastle line. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Cardiff Point - Valentine, named after Cardiff Colliery

Cardoness - Estate belonging to James Adair in 1843

Careair Point - Port Stephens (Dangar's map)

Carey Bay - Suburb of Lake Macquarie. Named after William Cary of the Excelsior Land Investment and Building Company and Bank Limited

Carlton Cottage - William Munnings Arnold house near Woodville on the Paterson River (1848)

Carowery - A creek situated in Co. Gloucester; empties into the Williams River. Fed by the Farm Creek. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Carrabolla - The leather head (a bird) (Aboriginal name)

Carrabean. Co. Gloucester; the native name of Port Stephens. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Carribeen - Henry Dangar's name for Carrington (Port Stephens Area) but later changed to Carrington by Robert Dawson

Carrington - Situated in Co. Gloucester on northern shores of Port Stephens. See Dangar's map. Formerly the head quarters of the A.A. Co.

Carrington - (known to Aboriginal people as the place of the mud crab "wuna-r tee"). Also known as Corrumbah, Chapman Island, Bullock Island and Onebygamba (Newcastle). Named after Lord Carrington, governor of New South Wales in 1887 when the area was proclaimed a municipality

Carrington Park - Grant to Thomas Horton James and then purchased by Robert Pringle and Solomon Wiseman

Carroll - Run at Liverpool Plains belonging to John Howe

Carrow Brook - Also Carro Creek, Carrocreek, Busby's Creek. (Mitchell's Map) A stream situated in Co. Durham; a branch of Fallbrook. James Busby

Carrow Mount - Co. Durham. A peak of the Mount Royal Range lying at the head of Carrow Brook and on the W. bank of the Paterson River. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Cassilis - Police district embracing western portion of Co. Brisbane and the whole of Co. Bligh (1848). 223 miles N of Sydney. Situated on the right bank of the Munmurray River 10 miles from the Krui River and 9 miles from the Talbragar River. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Castle Forbes - Estate of James Mudie in 1830's. 6 miles from Singleton

Castle Rock - Muswellbrook district

Castle Sempill - Parish of NSW situated in Co. Durham at the junction of Stewart's brook with the Hunter River

Caswell - Singleton district

Catch-a-boy Lagoon - also known as Ellalong Lagoon. Cessnock district

Catherine Hill Bay - named after schooner " Catherine Hill" which was beached there on 21 June 1867. No. Northumberland

Cathill Creek. - Co. Gloucester. a small southern tributary of the Gloucester River. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Cattai Cattai - aboriginal meaning Swampy country

Cattai Creek.- Co. Gloucester. 243 miles N of Sydney

Cawarra/ Caewarra - Estate of Henry Lindeman

Cecil Avenue Wangi - Named after the son of landowners David and Rachel Israel

Cedar Arm - Early name for the Paterson River.

Cedar Brush - Early name for West Maitland.

Cedar Creek - Cessnock district. A tributary of the Wollombi Brook falling into it above Wollombi

Cedarford Farm - near Maitland

Centre Island - Hunter River island. (see Barrallier's 1801 map)

Cessnock - Named by James Campbell after one of Burns's poems "On Cessnock's Banks". Parish of Polkolbin on Black Creek.

Chainbibber - early name for Point Wolstoncroft

Chapman Island - Also known as Currumbah, Bullock Island, Onebygambah and Carrington. See Barrallier's 1801 map for location)

Cheapside House - Lewis Lipman's Clothing and Drapery Warehouse in Muswellbrook 1840's

Cheshunt - Land grant on the Hunter River to William Simms Bell, eldest son of Lieut. Archibald Bell.

Chevelly - Originally called the Duckhole and part of the Millers Forest area.

Chichester - River of NSW situated in Co. Gloucester; flows into the Williams River

Church St. Newcastle - named after Christchurch which opened in 1821

Cintra - Grant to Susannah Matilda Ward- Paterson River

Circuit Flat - Co. Northumberland. Situated 15 miles S of Wollombi between Mounts Manning and Lockyer on the old North Road from Sydney to Maitland. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Clan Alpine Cottage - Morpeth

Clardendon Park - Grant to Susannah Matilda Ward - Paterson River

Clarencetown - A town situated on the Williams River. Co. Durham. Aboriginal name Erringti (place of the black ducks)

Clerkness - district of New England. Station of Edward George Clerk

Clevedon - situated in Co. Durham near Gresford. Residence of Arthur Edwin Way in 1848

Clifden Estate - Part of the estate of John Gault Smith at Woodville

Cliff St. Newcastle - Named because it runs to the edge of the cliffs, overlooking the sea.

Cliffdale - located at Wingen near Scone - estate of William Forsyth

Clifton House - located at Lochinvar

Clocides Bay - Co. Northumberland - an eastern arm of the harbour of Brisbane Water. Kincumber is situated in the eastern arm of this bay. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Closeburne - Later Bishop's Court - Morpeth. Owned by Bishop Tyrrell from 1848.

Clydesdale - at Darlington. Occupied by John Johnston in 1833

Coalbrook - Early mining village in the Cardiff area

Coal Island - Early name for Nobbys Island. (see Barrallier's 1801 map)

Coal River - Early name for Hunter's River

Cobark - Barrington Tops

Cobbitty - Creek in district of Liverpool Plains. On this creek is the station of D. Capel called Piedmont

Cobla - Situated near Tamworth on the Peel River

Cobrabald Mount. Co. Durham. Stands near the head of the Paterson River 3000 ft above sea level. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Cobra Creek - Wyee Point

Cochrane Lake - Co. Northumberland. a small lagoon or inlet of the sea about 1 mile from Kincumber. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Cock-a-Dingy - Previously known as Alnwick Estate near Raymond Terrace (1878)

Cockburn - River situated in district of Liverpool Plains; branch of the Peel River

Cocked Hat Creek - Early name for Edgeworth (prior to 1885)

Cockfighter Creek - So named in 1820 by John Howe and B. Singleton because one of their horses called Cockfighter was bogged here on their return trip from Wallis Plains (Maitland) to Patrick Plains (Singleton)

Cockle Creek - A stream in Co. Northumberland. Flows into Lake Macquarie

Cockrabell - situated on eastern bank of the Krui river Co. Brisbane.

Cockrenoyo - Point of land near Carrington, Port Stephens

Codagot Hill - near Tillegra (Teggs:1842)

Cockle Creek - bordering the estates of Weller and Ranclaud. Flows into Lake Macquarie (see Dixon's map)
Cogo - New England district. Station of A. Nivison

Colbin Farm - Upper Paterson

Collaroy (near Merriwa) - The long swamp reed; or junction or branch of creeks

Collier's Point - What is thought to be the first coal mine in the Southern Hemisphere was sunk at Colliers Point, below Fort Scratchley, in 1801

Collyblue- district of Liverpool Plains. Station of George Wyndham

Collymungle - district of Liverpool Plains. Greenaway's station
Collywarry - district of Liverpool Plains. Station of J. Cape

Colonel's Knob - Named after Col. Henry Dumaresq of St. Heliers Estate

Comboyne - aboriginal meaning a kangaroo

Combwell Farm - Paterson

Comleroi - Singleton district

Commonage - Public land bordering the Municipalities of Hamilton, Merewether, Lambton and Adamstown areas.

Como Como - district of Liverpool Plains, Pringle's station

Conadilly - River situated in district of Liverpool Plains. Flows into the Peel River at Mulluba Plains

Congewai - Cessnock district. Co. Northumberland 12 miles from Millfield. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Coogoowil - Kamilaroi aboriginal name for Piercefield

Cookaboi - Station of J. Robinson, district of Liverpool Plains on the Bora Creek junction.

Cookapie - district of Liverpool Plains on the Namoi River. Station of Dr. Adams

Cook's Hill (suburb of Newcastle) - After Thomas Cook of Turanville near Scone. His parents retirement home Lucerna stood on the corner of Auckland and Laman streets

Coolabern Mount - Co. Northumberland. High peak in the Hunter Range on the S bank of the Wollombi Creek 2 miles from Wollombi. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Coolawine Creek. Co. Northumberland. A small tributary of the Wollombi Brook. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Cooley Camp A hilly area near "Woodville"

Coolocoolo - near Caves Beach (W. Procter sketch 1841)

Coolongolook - (Coolingite) Co. Gloucester. 167 miles N of Sydney. Place of bats (Manning River Aboriginal name)

Cooloogooloogheit - Aboriginal name for East Maitland (1860s)

Cooma - district of Liverpool Plains. Doyle's station

Coomawidyera - Kamilaroi aboriginal name for Dartbrook

Coon Island - Swansea - named after Herbert Greta Heaney whose nickname was coon

Coonanbarra - Aboriginal name for part of the Hunter River at Morpeth

Coongoolgon - (Aboriginal) Eckford's Lagoon near Morpeth

Coopernook - The elbow (that is, the bend in the river. Aboriginal name). Co. Macquarie. 209 miles N of Sydney. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Coopabulga - Many high hills (aboriginal name)

Cooplacurripa - Plenty of Mosquitos

Coorumgoora - Kamilaroi aboriginal name for The Castle Rock, Muswellbrook district

Cooranbong - From Aboriginal word "Kour-an-bong" meaning rocky bottom creek or water over rocks. Lake Macquarie. Also Corrumbung

Cooreii Estate - Estate of Robert Lloyd Alison, Dungog. Aboriginal name for the high hill in the locality

Coorie Mount. Co. Durham. A high mountain about 1 mile to the E of Dungog. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Cooreel (Kauraei) Hill in Dungog district.

Copper Point - early name for Vales Point

Coppymurrumbillah - district of Liverpool Plains on the Macintyre river. Station of John Browne.

Coquun - Aboriginal name for Hunter River

Corinda Estate - Situated five miles from Black Creek. Co. Northumberland. Estate of Archibald Bell.  On Dangar's map shown as Kurrundarra

Corlette - Port Stephens. Named after Captain Corlette of the cutter 'Lambton'

Corlette St. Newcastle. Named after James Corlette accountant or shipping manager A.A. Company in 1856.

Cornwall Vale - Paterson

Corobeare - early name for Wollombi

Corroba - also known as Garden Suburb. At Stockton

Coruna Cottage - Raymond Terrace

Cory Vale - Estate of John Cory, Paterson. Situated at the confluence of the Allyn and Paterson rivers
Corroba - A contraction of corroboree, a ceremonial dance

Corrumbah - located on Dangar's map in the Hunter River adjacent to Cottage Creek

Cottage Creek Cemetery - Hunter Street Newcastle adjacent to the Palais Royale dance hall

Coulson's Creek. Co. Brisbane. A tributary of the head of the Merriwa Creek. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Coulston - Situated in Co. Durham near Gresford. Residence of J. Brown in 1848

Cowmore - district of Liverpool Plains. Robertson's station

Crabbs Beach; also Flatrock - Swansea

Craigdarrech Estate - Williams River - estate of Robert Mackenzie 1835

Crangan Bay - Lake Macquarie

Craven Creek. Co. Gloucester. A small northern tributary of Bowman's River. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Crawford River- a river situated in Co. Gloucester. Branch of the Myall river.

Crawney Pass (Crawnie) - Nundle district

Crayton Shaw - Later known as Hillend. Upper Hunter. Estate of James Greig at Greig's Creek.

Cream of Tartar Creek. Co. Brisbane. A small western tributary of Harry's Creek. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Creebank - Paterson. James Adair

Cressfield - Estate of Archibald Little - Co. Brisbane near Scone. Residence of S.H. Darby in 1848. Also known as Glencairn

Crippford Estate - County of Gloucester

Croki - Toad Fish

Cromarty Creek - named after William Cromarty - Port Stephens

Cromarty Bay - named after William Cromarty

Crooke's Park - Estate of John Hooke senior

Crossroads - Unofficial name of intersection at Cardiff Road and Edgeworth Road

Croudace Bay - named after Thomas Croudace manager of Scottish Australian Mining Company

Crui - river situated in Co. Bligh and Brisbane. Empties into the Goulburn river

Cryon - Name of run at Liverpool Plains belonging to Helenus Scott

Cubbaroo - district of Liverpool Plains on the Namoi River. Station of J. Button

Cuerindi - George Hall's run on the Gwydir river

Culpa - Run belonging to William Ogilvie. Liverpool Plains

Cullarraba - Kamilaroi aboriginal name for Mt. Arthur (Whites Sugar loaf)

Cullingral - deep waterhole

Cumbil - Run at Liverpool Plains taken up by Joseph Hyam

Cumboderryderry - district of Liverpool Plains. Station of W. and N. Lawson in 1848

Cumbrae Isle - Co. Gloucester. An island of the Myall Lakes. Called after the historic isles of that name in Scotland. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Cumnaroy - old name for Jerry's Plains

Cumoo Cumoo - Run of Robert Pringle - Liverpool Plains Cundletown - Manning river aboriginal name Klundul

Cunningham's Gap - On the dividing range dividing the districts of Clarence River from Darling Downs.

Cureeki - Not obtainable

Curracobakh - An open place

Curracabark - estate - Benjamin Hooke one of the original owners after the A.A. Co's occupation lease fell in. Woko National Park

Curracobundy - a deep valley through which the Barnard River runs. (aboriginal meaning narrow place or gorge)

Currindi - district of Liverpool Plains. Run taken up by George and Andrew Loder. Also Hall's station

Currungai - A creek in the district of Liverpool Plains

Curtis' Ridge - near Buckles Range.

Carrington River (Dangar's Map)


High Street West Maitland - Illustrated Sydney News 8 August 1889