Free Settler or Felon?

Home      Free Settler or Felon LinksIndigenous Names & Events     Settlers Index
Search Free Settler or Felon?
Notes on the Origins and Locations of Place Names

Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley, Liverpool Plains,

New South Wales
Can't Find What You're Looking For? Try a Search from the Box below:

 
A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K    L    M    N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U    V    W    Y    


K


Kahibah - Quick, active, eager (aboriginal meaning). See Dangar's map.

Kaiaraba - place of sea weeds

Kalburn Estate - Near Trevallyn on the Paterson River

Kalingo or Kaligo- near Ellalong (aboriginal meaning by the water)

Kallitoota - Aboriginal meaning Evergreen

Kaluda - 560 acres part of the original Lochinvar estate granted to Leslie Duguid purchased by J.F. Doyle. John Doyle established a vineyard which was managed by P. Terrior. By 1933 the farm was a dairy and owned by the Gurr family

Kamilaroi tribe - from headwaters of the Hunter from the Talbragar to the Nunmurra waters

Kangaroo Hills - Lease of Henry Dangar in the New England

Kangra Creek - Co. Northumberland - a small tributary of the Mangrove Creek. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Kangy Angy - a mountain situated in Co. Northumberland near Wyong Creek

Kankool - A wallaroo (aboriginal meaning)

Kanwal - aboriginal meaning great, large - Central Coast

Karakunba - a place of swamp oaks

Kareen - a river situated in district of Liverpool Plains; flows into the Gwyder

Karrabee - A cockatoo (aboriginal meaning)

Karraganbal Point - Co. Northumberland. Tuggerah Beach Lakes. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Karrak - Manning River aboriginal meaning Spittle

Karuah - A native plum tree (aboriginal meaning). Parish situated in Co. Gloucester bounded on the N. by A.A. Co Estate; on the S. by Tarean; E. by the Karuah river; and W. by Horton

Kawanggawa Brook - Flows into the Hunter River (Dangar's Map)

Kayuga - A plain (aboriginal meaning). Estate of Donald McIntyre - Upper Hunter. Kamilaroi aboriginal name Talgoobewaa

Kearsley - After William Kearsley the first member of Parliament for Cessnock

Keel-keelba - a place of grass tree

Keepit - district of Liverpool Plains on the Namoi river. William Sims Bell's station

Keepit - Co. of Parry, postal village 313 miles N. of Sydney. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Keera - district of Liverpool Plains on Bundara Creek; A. McPherson's station

Keightly st. Newcastle - named after Stewart Keightly, Mayor of Newcastle

Keinbah - Place of termites

Kellabakh - Manning River aboriginal name for the Blue Gum Tree

Kelso Estate  - Near Singleton. Alexander Munro established the Bebeah Vineyard on the estate

Kelso Place - Singleton

Kelvinside - estate near Aberdeen

Kemp St. Newcastle - named after Simon Kemp, Mayor of Newcastle

Kendall Grange - Morisset Park

Kennington - Estate of William Peppercorn and then William Bowden. Near Tomago on the opposite bank to the Hexham Hotel ( 1878)

Kenrick St. Newcastle - named after Atwell Kenrick, wharf manager and coal salesman who succeeded Mr. Croasdill

Kerowahlahrn - Dangar's 1828 map - area between Lake Macquarie and Catherine Hill Bay

Keerrabee - Co. Durham. Postal village 35 miles from Muswellbrook. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Khangat Mount - Co. of Gloucester. A lofty peak lying on the S. bank of the Manning River 16 miles W of Wingham. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Khanterin - Aboriginal name for Shepherd's Hill, Newcastle

Khappingal Creek - Co. of Gloucester. A small southern tributary of the Kooraingal Creek. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Kiambir - run at Liverpool Plains taken up by John Miller

Kickerbill (Gilcoobil)- station of A and J. Blaxland in district of Liverpool Plains

Kilaben Bay (Killibinbin)- Lake Macquarie. Aboriginal meaning shining, bright, glorious

Kilbrawny - Butterwick - see Dangar's Map Kilcoy Estate - Raymond Terrace; also known as Timavus; a grant to W. McLean

Killabin - Shining (aboriginal meaning)

Killarney station - The Narrabri, or Nurrabri, better known as Killarney station was first taken up by Mr. Andrew Doyle

Killawarra - Manning River aboriginal meaning for a Scrub

Killingworth - coal mining town south of West Wallsend. named after a place north of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Kimbriki - Manning River aboriginal meaning for where a kind of water weed grows. Co. of Gloucester

Kimdibakh - Co. of Gloucester. 211 miles N. of Sydney. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Kimmergham Estate - Michael Henderson - Raymond Terrace

Kincumber - Belonging to an old man (aboriginal meaning). Situated Co. Northumberland, Brisbane Water

Kindur (native name for Gwydir)

Kingdon Ponds - A stream situated in the Co. of Brisbane; rises on the Liverpool range and flows into Dartbrook

Kingdon Ponds - Co. Brisbane - a small agricultural village on the creek of the same name 6 miles N. of Scone. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Kinghome - Also known as Torryburn. Grant to John McIntyre - Allyn River

King Junction - Singleton district

King's Creek. Flows into the Hunter River. Near James Arndell's estate (see Dixon's map)

King's Street, Newcastle - named after Governor Phillip Gidley King

King's Town - Early name for Newcastle after Philip Gidley King

Kinross - first known as Warraburreen. Grant to George Thomas Graham. Later purchased by Archibald Windeyer. Near Raymond Terrace

Kintiirrabin / Kentiirabin - aboriginal name for a small extinct volcano on the sea coast near Red Head north east of Lake Macquarie {Threlkeld}

Kirkdale - early name for Arcadia Vale after Joseph Kirk early settler

Kirkton - Estate of William Kelman. Named after Kirktown, Scotland by John Busby

Kiwarrie - Manning River aboriginal meaning - A lump on a tree, hollow at the top

Klundul - Manning River aboriginal name for where the Wild Carrot grows. Name for Cundletown.

Knockfinn Estate - (also Noch-fin; Knockfen) 8 miles from Maitland. Adjacent to the village of Lochinvar. Estate belonging to Vicars Jacob

Koikaligba - a place of brambles

Koiyog - the site of any native camp (Threlkeld)

Kolen Kolen - Mountain near Donny Brook (Dangar's Map)

Kona-konaba - Aboriginal name of the place where the stone called kona-kona is found. Name of a large mountain at the northern extremity of Lake Macquarie {Threlkeld}. Known as Murdering Gully. 

Koolbury - Aboriginal name for Emu. Koolbury is the name of a closed railway station on the Main North railway line in the Hunter Region. The station opened in 1909 and has been removed, no trace now remains

Koonawarra - Duck's high place (Aboriginal meaning)

Kooragang - Estate situated on Mosquitto island, Port Hunter. Estate of Rev. C. Pleydell N. Wilton, Chaplain of Christ Church Newcastle (1848 Well's Gazetteer). Aboriginal meaning Brolga

Kooraingel Creek - Co. of Gloucester - a small stream rising to the S. of Tinonee, flowing into the oceean at Halliday's Point. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Koore Creek - Co. of Northumberland - a small tributary of the Mangrove Creek. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Kooroora Bay - Bay on the lake side of the Fennell Bay bridge

Kopurrba - name of the place from which the aborigines obtained the kopurra a yellowish earth (Threlkeld)

Korribakle Creek - Co. of Gloucester - a small creek draining Larry's Flat, and flowing into Burril Creek. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Kotara - A club (aboriginal meaning {Kotirra - Threlkeld}. . Suburb of Newcastle.

Krambakh - Manning River aboriginal meaning - a kind of gum tree the bark of which is used for torches

Kuloo - Estate of the Bettington family at Merriwa

Kulubal - a creek situated in district of Liverpool Plains running through the A.A. Co's estate

Kundibakh - Manning River aboriginal name for The Apple Tree

Kundabakl Creek - Co. of Gloucester, a small tributary of Burril Creek, draining Larry's Flat. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Kurraka - Awabakal for the entrance to Glenrock Lagoon

Kurrahboolya -Meaning fork, two gullies, two streams etc., aboriginal name for the junction of the Crawford and Myall Rivers. Bulahdelah.

Kurra-kurran - the name of a place in which there is almost a forest of petrifications of wood of various sizes. It is in a bay at the north western extremity of Lake Macquarie {Threlkled}

Kurrundarra - homestead of Archibald Bell later known as Corinda. Situated across the Hunter River from Glendon (Dangar's Map)

Kurranulla Creek - Flows into Carrow Brook. Mt. Royal Ranges.

Kurri Kurri - The beginning, the very first (aboriginal meaning)

Kuttai - the site of Sydney Light house or any peninsula

Kyle - Co. of Gloucester. A postal village 261 miles N of Sydney. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893