Free Settler or Felon?

HomeIndigenous Names & Events
Search Free Settler or Felon?
A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K    L    M    N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U    V    W    Y


Notes on the Origins and Locations of Place Names

Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley, Liverpool Plains,

New South Wales

L

Can't find what you're looking for? Try a site search from the search box below
 



Laguna - Situated in Co. Northumberland on Sugar Loaf Creek on the north road from Wiseman's to Maitland. Six miles from Farley. Named by Heneage Finch surveyor, in 1825. See Dixon's map

Laing St. Newcastle - Named after William Laing, merchant, alderman of Newcastle

Lake Macquarie - After Lachlan Macquarie, Governor of NSW 1810 - 1821.

Lake Macquarie Road - Originally the path from Newcastle to Lake Macquarie. From Blane Street along Darby Street then over Glebe Hill to the Lake

Lake Paterson - wetlands eastern side of Paterson River

Laman Street Cooks Hill - named after Thomas Laman overseer of the A.A. Co

Lamb's Creek - Singleton district

Lamb's Valley - Estate of James Thomas Lamb situated in Co. Durham on the N. side of the Hunter River

Lamb's Valley Creek. Co. of Durham, a small northern tributary of the Hunter River

Lambton - Co. of Northumberland. The Lambton coal mines adjoined the township. Proclaimed a municipal district in 1871 with a council of 8 aldermen and a mayor. population 4,500 in 1893. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Lame Cow Creek - Dungog / Gloucester district

Landelf Point - Lake Macquarie - Illustrated Sydney News 23 April 1881

Langlands - Situated in Co. Durham equidistant between the towns of Seaham and Clarence in the parish of Uffington

Langworthy - Co. of Gloucester. Parish of Stroud. On the E. bank of the Karuah River 3 miles W. of Johnson's Creek

Largs - . Co. of Durham. 3 miles from East Maitland. Names after a place in Ayrshire, Scotland the birthplace of Andrew Lang

Larry's Flat - Co. of Gloucester - lying to the S. of the Manning River a few miles to the SW on Tinonee. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Lauer's Lane - named after Charles Lauer

Lawler Creek - Co. of Gloucster - a small rivulet, at the head of Karuah River. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Leconfield - a small district positioned between Branxton, Dalwood and Greta with Leconfield House being the prominent property in the area

Leamington (Lemington) - a parish situated in Co. of Hunter between the Hunter River and Wollombi brook at Jerrys Plains.

Leconfield - Colliery near Greta (1888)

Lee Wharf-road Newcastle - named after Charles Lee, ex minister for works

Leeholme - House constructed by John Lee, son of Benjamin Lee - Paterson River

Leigh Farm - Known as Pennington's Grant 1/2 mile from Raymond Terrace.

Lemon Grove - Estate of John Swan - Patterson's Plains

Lemongrove Estate - originally low lying swamp. Formed the main business site of Wallsend and Plattsburg

Lennoxton - Estate of James Adair - Paterson

Leslieville - 63 Union Street Cooks Hill. William Arnott's house

Lewin's Brook - Co. of Durham, an eastern tributary of the Allyn River falling into it about 4 miles E. of Gresford

Lewinsbrook - Estate of Alexander Park - Paterson

Lewinsbrook - Co. of Durham - village situaged on the Allyn River, the Pinnacle Mountains lying 7 miles distant. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Liddell - Parish situated in Co. Durham bounded on the S. by the parishes of Ravensworth and Vane. Muswellbrook district

Liddell - Co. of Durham, an agricultural settlement lying on the Saltwater River, 13 miles NW of Singleton. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Lidney - grant to George Porter in the Millers Forest area

Limeburner's Bay - situated on a peninsula of low land separated from Newcastle by the Hunter River. (1820).See Dangar's Map Located Piper's beach in Fullerton Cove

Limeburners' Creek - Co. Gloucester - a postal village situated on the creek whence it derives its name, 16 miles N. of Raymond Terrace. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Limeburners' Creek - Co. of Durham, a small creek flowing into the estuary of the Karuah River

Limejuice Ponds - in the district of Liverpool plains situated between the Namoi and Gwydir rivers

Lingard Street Merewether - named after Samuel Lingard an old resident

Linwood - Wickham around the Carrington bridge area. First house built by Peter Fleming. The Linwood stables contained some of the best horses in the northern district.

Linwood Colliery - Wickham

Liverpool Plains - (native name Corborn Comleroy). Squatting district of NSW named by Johnn Oxley after Lord Liverpool. Chief towns Murrurundi, Narrabri, Nundle, Tamworth, Wee Waa, Breeza, Gulligal, Walget and Bendemeer. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Lobster Ponds - District of Liverpool Plains situated between the Namoi and Gwydir rivers

Loch End - Estate of William Brooks - Speer's Point, Lake Macquarie

Loch Gyle Estate - Paterson. Estate of Captain Taggart

Lock Kalrine - Upper Hunter near Mount Dyrring

Lochnagar - Grant of 2060 acres to William Maxwell Shawl Stewart near Maitland

Lochinvar - After the hero in Sir Walter Scott's poem. Grant to Leslie Duguid. Co. Northumberland. Situated on the Hunter River in parish of Gosford.

Lockyer Mount - Co. of Northumberland - a high peak in the parish of Lockyer, about 16 miles S of Wollombi at a place called Simpson's Pass. The mountain is known as Dowling's Range. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Loders Creek - a creek in the district of Liverpool plains. On this stream is Loder's station 27 miles from Murrurundi

Longford's Farm - 825 acres Wollombi

Long Point - District of Liverpool Plains on the Mooki river 54 miles from Murrurundi. Eales' station

Lorimer Creek - Co. of Bligh - a small tributary of the head of the Krui River rising in the Liverpool Range. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Lorn - Grant to Thomas McDougall. Named after ancestral land in Argylshire

Lorne - Part of Fennell Bay and Fassifern used to be known as Lorne (c. 1881)

Lostock - Village on the Paterson River 9 miles from Gresford

Lough End Farm - Maitland/Morpeth

Louth Park - Maitland - John Thomas Maughan

Lowe Estate - near Hexham. Estate of George Brooks 1848. On Iron Bark Creek. See Dangar's map

Lower Belford - Co. of Northumberland, 140 miles N. of Sydney

Lower Farm - Speers Point - owned by William Clark in 1830s

Lower Portland Head - early name for Wiseman's Ferry

Loxton House - located main street of Muswellbook. Built c. 1838

Lucan Park - Estate of Cyrus Matthew Doyle Jerrys Plains

Lucerna - Home of Thomas Cook, cnr Laman and Auckland Streets Cook's Hill

Luskintyre - Estate of Alexander McLeod.

Luskintyre - A small agricultural hamlet situated on the Hunter River adjacent to the village of Lochinvar. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Lymington - Early name for Cardiff after a mine in the area

Lyndhurst Vale - Estate of John Verge - William River


High Street West Maitland - Illustrated Sydney News 8 August 1889