Free Settler or Felon?

HomeIndigenous Names & Events
Search Free Settler or Felon?
A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K    L    M    N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U    V    W    Y


Notes on the Origins and Locations of Place Names

Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley, Liverpool Plains,

New South Wales

O

Can't find what you're looking for? Try a site search from the search box below



Oakfield - Co. Northumberland on the Hunter River 7 miles from Newcastle; estate of John Smith

Oakenville Creek - Hanging Rock. Also known as Ogunbil Creek, Oakey Creek, Hookavil Creek and Hanging Rock Creek

Oakhampton - Named by Robert Lethbridge, an early settler after a town in the heart of Dartmoor, England where it is spelled Okehampton

Oaklands - Estate of George Pearce Bowman near Singleton

Oaklands - Owned by Richard Windeyer. Adjoined Tomago

Oakleigh - Residence of Richard Alcorn (2nd) in 1879. Singleton

Oak Range - Jerry's Plains near Arrowfield- Ellis family in 1872

Oakvale - Co. of Northumberland - an Agricultural district lying on the road from Maitland to Mount Vincent. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Oakvale - Dungog district - Rapson family

Obanvale - Singleton district

Ogunbil Creek - Co. of Parry - an eastern auriferous tributary of the Peel River

Old Banks - Name given to the site of an early cedar cutter's camp and military barracks on the Paterson River located in the area of Mindaribba near Tocal Road Onall Creek - flows into Port Stephens (Dangar's Map)

Omadale Creek - Co. of Gloucester, an eastern tributary of the head of the Hunter River flowing past the S side of Omadale Hill

Onebygamba - also known as Corrumbah, Chapman Island, Bullock Island and Carrington. Place of mud mounds or large island (aboriginal meaning)

Orana - Street in Gwandalan, Lake Macquarie. (Aboriginal meaning - welcome)

Orangegrove - A grant of 100 acres to John Powell. Adjoined Duninald on the banks of the Paterson River

Ordnance Street Newcastle - adjoined old ordinance land and military quarters. Ordnance stores were on the southern side

Orpheline Cottage - Presbyterian Glebe West Maitland

Orrabar - Station of Joseph Fleming in the New England district. Bushranger Gentleman Dick captured here

Orungal Point - Port Stephens (Dangar's Map)

Osborne Estate - Arcadia Vale

Osterley - near Hinton - Estate belonging to Edwin Hickey 1830s

Oswald Estate - Harper's Hill - Grant to William Harper 8 miles from Maitland

Oswald - Co. of Northumberland - hamlet about 1 mile from Lochinvar

Ourimbah - The ring or circle on the Bora ground (aboriginal meaning). Co. of Northumberland. village 67 miles N. of Sydney. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Ourimba Creek - stream with two branches one flowing into the Tuggerah Beach Lake and the other into Brisbane Water. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Overton - Grant to Francis Allman. Co. Brisbane near Muswellbrook. Kamilaroi aboriginal name Gola

Ovingham - Parish in Co. Northumberland bounded on the N. by the parish of Belford and Whittingham; W by Vere; and E. by Rothbury

Owl Pen Farm - R. Hungerford

Oyster Bank - A patch of rock jutting into the sea where the northern breakwater was later built. Newcastle Harbour

Oyster Beach - Port Stephens (see Barrallier's 1801 map)


High Street West Maitland - Illustrated Sydney News 8 August 1889