Free Settler or Felon?

Notes on the Origins and Locations of Place Names

Hunter Valley

R

Search


First Name



Surname / Subject



Ship






Notes on the Origins and Locations of Place Names

Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley, Liverpool Plains


R





Radfordslea Estate - near Black Creek. Singleton district. 2000 acres owned by Alexander Brodie Sparke

Ramsgate - Catherine Hill Bay

Rankin Park - Newcastle. Named for solicitor A.A. Rankin

Raspberry Clear - Singleton district

Raspberry Gully - original name for the present day Gully Line

Rathbourne Cottage - near Osterley

Rathmines - Edward Hely named 'Rathmines' after the family's home town near Dublin, Ireland.

Rattigan - Estate of Alexander McLeod

Ravenscroft - At the Allyn River near Eccleston

Ravenshaw Hills - above Stroud River - see Dangar's map [29]

Ravenshaw St. Newcastle - named for J.H. Ravenshaw, director of A.A. Co.

Ravensworth - Estate belonging to James Bowman; situated in Co. of Durham between Fallbrook and Foybrook. Singleton district

Rawdon Stream - Co. of Gloucester, the name of the S. head of the Barrington River. [37]

Raworth - After a place in Suffolk, England. This land near Morpeth was a grant to James Griffith in 1823. John Howe purchased this 200 acres in 1839.

Raymond Terrace - After Midshipman Raymond, who in 1797 was sent by Lieut. Shortland by boat up the River Hunter and who remarked on the 'terraced'; appearance of the trees at the junction of the Hunter and William Rivers. The locality for some time was called 'Raymond's Terraces'. Situated in Co. Gloucester on E. bank of Hunter river. According to Huntington also known as Green Hills. Alternative naming was after James Raymond Postmaster-General

Recovery - Estate at Lake Macquarie opposite Rev. Threlkeld in 1838

Redbourneberry - A grant of 700 to John Howe as reward for his discoveries. Situated on the eastern side of Singleton

Redmanvale - Singleton district

Red Head - Situated in Co. of Northumberland, a few miles north of Reid's Mistake (1848)

Red House - Inn known as The Red House - Black Creek

Reedy Creek - Singleton district. A small tributary of the Glendon Brook

Reid Lane - Newcastle. Named after James Reid whose office was in the brick terrace facing Watt St. and backing on to Reid street

Reid's Mistake - Situated at the entrance of Lake Macquarie. Mullug-bula - the name of two upright rocks about nine feet high springing up from the side of a bluff head on the margin of Lake Macquarie; Beneath the mountain on which the two pillars stand was a seam of coal from which Reid obtained a cargo of coals when he mistook the entrance of Lake Macquarie for Newcastle {Threlkeld}

Retreat - Cattle run on the Macdonald River leased by Robert Pringle

Retreat Farm - Cockfighter's Creek

Rhondda - Teralba - site of the Rhondda Colliery

Richmond Vale - near Maitland / Cessnock. Name of estate owned by John Palmer in 1823

Ringwood - Raymond Terrace

Rix's Creek - Singleton district . North tributary of the Hunter River flowing into it at Auckland

Robertson Street, Carrington - named after Sir John Robertson KCMG premier of NSW

Rocky Creek - Cattle station at Liverpool Plains leased by Robert Pringle

Rosebank - Grant of 2560 acres to Thomas Bartie - Hinton

Rosebrook - Estate of James Reid, Hunter River

Rosebrook Estate - 1 mile from Muswellbrook (1894)

Rose Cottage - Residence of John Eckford in 1852 - Maitland

Rose Hill Farm -Millfield. 320 acre far sold to John McDougall. Near the Rising Sun Inn, Wollombi

Rosemount - Estate of John Larnach 6 miles from Singleton

Rosemount Cottage - Situated in Bourke Street West Maitland

Rose Tree Hill - early name for Bennetts Green
Roslyn Castle - Raymond Terrace - House of Michael Henderson. Adjoined the Irrawang estate. House built at vast expense being a double pavilioned roofed mansion. Later purchased by the Bishop of Newcastle.

Rossett - Early name for Charles Boydell's Camyr Allyn estate

Rothbury - After a village near Morpeth, England. Situated in Co. of Northumberland; bounded on the N. by Belford; W. by Ovingham and E. by Black creek. Singleton district

Rouchel brook - An eastern tributary of the Upper Hunter, fed by Davis and Dry Creeks. Falls into the main stream about 6 miles NW of Aberdeen.

Roughit - Singleton district

Rous Lench - part of the Edinglassie estate

Rowan - A parish in the co. of Durham bounded on the N. by Sandy Creek; S. by Muswellbrook; and W. by the River Hunter

Roxburgh - After a place in Scotland, the home town of the wife of Sir Thomas Brisbane, Governor of N.S.W.

Royal (Mount Royal) - A mountain situated in Co. of Durham; from this mountain the Allyn and Paterson rivers take their rise

Runnimede - property belonging to John Terry Hughes on Erina Creek

Rushholme - John Cobb. Situated on Munnimbah Brook - see Dangar's Map[29]

Russell - A parish in the Co. of Durham bounded N. and W. by the Hunter River and S. by Sandy Creek

Rutherford - After George Shaw Rutherford early settler

Sources




Links

Convicts

Settler and Immigrant Ships

Medical Practitioners

Inns and Hotels

Indigenous Notes

Lake Macquarie History

Law and Order

Maitland History

Australian History News

Australian Slang