Free Settler or Felon?

HomeIndigenous Names & Events
Search Free Settler or Felon?
A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K    L    M    N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U    V    W    Y


Notes on the Origins and Locations of Place Names

Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley, Liverpool Plains,

New South Wales

W

Can't find what you're looking for? Try a site search from the search box below



Wabung Head - - at the southern end of Catherine Hill Bay. Lake Macquarie

Wade Cottage - Singleton - A timber building constructed in 1860 for railway engineer William Burton Wade

Wahrah - near Glenrock Lagoon -see Dangar's 1828 map.

Walamoul - in the district of Liverpool Plains on the river Peel. The station of George Jenkins

Waldool - situated on the Peel river in the district of Liverpool Plains

Walhalla run - Liverpool Plains - taken possession of by John Rotton in 1829. transferred to Cronan and then to Ross. In 1839 in possession of William Nowland.

Walka - The sun.

Walka Lagoon location of camp of Lieut Grant's expedition in 1801. Estate of Houston Mitchell

Wallabadah - situated in district of Liverpool Plains 25 miles from Murrurundi. Squattage of Messrs Martyn and Combes

Wallah - In the district of Liverpool palins on the Namoi River 130 miles from Murrurundi. Station of F.H. Bartlett

Wallalong (Wollalaghn) - Grant to Walter Scott - Paterson river. (Aboriginal meaning flat near a river or creek)

Wallambine Swamp - Co. Northumberland - a tract of marshy land lying on the E. bank of the Macdonald River near its junction with the Hawkesbury

Wallamburra - a ford on the Peel river at Mulluba plains Wallarah - The mountain kangaroo

Wallaringa - Originally the residence of H.I. Pilcher near Dungog. Adjoined The Grange. Offered for sale by Oswald Bloxsome in 1851

Wallarobba - A rainy gully (aboriginal meaning); Grant to Alexander McDuff Baxter - Paterson River

Wallarobba Creek - small western tributary of the Williams River falling into it at Clarence Town and Dungog

Wallaroo - Village reserve near Clarencetown (Teggs:1841)

Walleroo Park - situated in county of Northumberland between Gosford and Newport on the road from Brisbane Water to Maitland. Residence of Alick Osborne.

Wallgrove Cottage - Situated almost opposite St. Johns Church West Maitland

Wallis Creek County of Northumberland, a southern tributary of the Hunter River, rising in Mount Vincent flowing N. and separating the townships of East and West Maitland.

Wallis Hill - Newcastle - The Crooked Billet Inn was situated on Wallis' Hill

Wallis Plains (now Maitland) Named after Captain James Wallis of the 46th regiment, Commandant of Newcastle 1817 -1818. (Aboriginal name Boun named for a bird of that name{Threlkeld} In 1829 Maitland was established however the settlers on the land on the west side of Wallis Creek, then known as Wallis Plains, were not satisfied and wanted to have their own town. As a result of representations made to him Gov. Bourke, he acceded and the boundaries of the new town of West Maitland were defined. The area then known as Maitland was renamed East Maitland.

Wallis Island - Island in the Hunter River. Also known as Dempsey Island. Possibly called Dempster Island after politician George Dempster.

Wallsend - After a place near Newcastle-on-Tyne. An early aboriginal name for the Wallsend area was Barrahinebin. The suburb began as two mining towns, Wallsend and Plattsburg

Walsh Island - Named for Henry Deane Walsh, engineer

Wamberal - Co. Northumberland. Gosford

Wambo - a parish in the co. of Hunter bounded on the N. by the Hunter River; an E. by the parish of Lymington

Wambo Estate belonged to ex-convict/settler James Hale. located at Warkworth

Wambarramurrie Creek - At the head of the Peel River in vicinity of Crawnie pass

Wandoobar - district of Liverpool plains 65 miles from Murrurundi. Sumner's station

Wandowandah Point - Port Stephens (Dangar's Map)

Wangat Creek - Flows into the Williams River

Wangen - Run at Liverpool Plains belonging to Patch and Glennie

Wangi - A creek in the county of Gloucester; it flows into the Williams River. This creek is also called Thalaba

Wangi Wangi - Many night owls. (aboriginal meaning, Threlkeld) To) Town situated on the shores of Lake Macquarie. Once owned by Edward Gostwyck Cory; also  referred to as Wonde Wonde by Henry Dangar on his 1828 Map

Wangi Creek - Co. Gloucester, a small eastern tributary of the Williams River. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Wang Wauk - Manning River aboriginal name meaning Flying Fox

Wanhiggi Brook - Branxton (Dangar's Map)

Waratah - After the Australian flower - It was originally called North Waratah as it marked the extreme north of where the waratah is found (from the Hunter River to Victoria) Previous to this the area was known as Hanbury.

Warawallug Mountain- also Worawollang- name of a high mountain to the west of Lake Macquarie(Threlkeld)

Ward's River - situated in Co. of Gloucester; a source of the Karuah river

Wareena - in the district of Liverpool Plains on the river Namoi. H. Cox's station

Warkworth - a parish in Co. Northumberland; bounded on the N. by the river Hunter; W. by Wollombi brook; S. by the parish of Wollombi; and E. by Wittingham. Singleton district

Warkworth Cottage - Cockfighter's Creek

Warland's Creek - Co. Brisbane - a tributary of the head of the Page River rising in the Liverpool Range and falling into the main stream at Murrurundi. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Warland's Range - Blandford

Warner's Bay (Lake Macquarie) - after Jonathan Warner the original grantee of 1280 acres on what was once called Awaba Bay

Warnervale (near Wyong) After A.H. Warner a local landowner, a descendant of Jonathan Warner

Warrabella - In the district of Liverpool plains on the Macintyre river; squattage of John Larnach

Warrabella Estate - Upper Williams River

Warrabungle Street Gunnedah - First laid out in 1854.

Warrabungle Range - (aboriginal) Gamilaroi word meaning crooked mountains

Warrabungle Range - Liverpool Plains. Consists of a series of steep and lofty peaks; the highest point being Mount Exmouth.

Warraburreen - 12 miles from Newcastle. Grant to George Thomas Graham. Later known as Kinross

Warragundi - A mountain situated in the district of Liverpool Plains

Warrah - in the district of Liverpool Plains 20 miles from Murrurundi. Squattage of Messrs Martyn and Combes

Warrah - district of Liverpool Plains 16 miles from Murrurundi; squattage of the A.A. Co.,

Warrawolong- (aboriginal meaning like a human head) A mountain situated in Co. Northumberland 95 miles from Sydney. Also known at sea by the name of Hat Hill (Wells 1848). Highest peak of the Watagan Mountains. See Dixon's map. See also...

Warawallug - Aboriginal name of a high mountain to the west of Lake Macquarie. As a land mark it is seen from a considerable distance. The name is derived from Wallug, the 'human head' from its appearance {Threlkeld}.

Washpool - Stroud. A.A. Co sheep washing location Watagan Mountains - The Watagan Mountains are located on the western side of Lake Macquarie

Watagong - as above. See Dixon's map

Wattle Creek - Feeds into the Williams River at its lower end

Wattle Ponds - Darlington near Glendon. (Dangar's Map). Northern tributary of the Hunter River

Wattook - (or Brass Water); in the co. of Gloucester 45 miles from Carrington. Excellent timber for ship building (1848)

Watt Street Newcastle - Known earlier as Macquarie Street and High St. Named Watt St. after James Watt, Scottish engineer.

Waukivory - Aboriginal meaning scene of tribal fight between coastal blacks and the Kalooks, the tribe of the Gloucester-Barrington district.

Wau Wai - aboriginal expression for a voracious fish (also Woy Woy)

Wauwaran - Aboriginal name of a hole of fresh water in the vicinity of Lake Macquarie between it and the mountains westerly {Threlkeld}

Waybong - a river in county of Brisbane which flows into the river Goulburn; rises in the Liverpool range.

Waydring - in the county of Gloucester on the banks of the Myall river near Little Boolladilla

Waywerryghein - Queen's Wharf and west of same (Morpeth 1860s)

Webber's Creek - Co. Durham, a small tributary of the head of Glendon Brook.

Weeres Creek - a branch of the Conadilly river situated in district of Liverpool Plains

Weeduran - Kamilaroi aboriginal name for St. Heliers Creek

Weegillie - Aboriginal - firewater, meaning rum, brandy etc

Weepi Point - Port Stephens (See Dangar's map)

Weetawaa - in the district of Liverpool Plains on the Namoi river 152 miles from Murrurundi; squattage of C.W.M.S. Morison

Weia Weia Creek - Run belonging to Rev. Vidal at Liverpool Plains

Weira - a creek in the district of Liverpool plains; squattage of John Singleton 20 miles from Tamworth

Weirabilla - near Thalaba Creek, Liverpool Plains

Welbon - district of Liverpool Plains. Station of George Galley

Welcome Ponds - situated in district of Liverpool plains; they flow into the Namoi river

Wellbon - run at Liverpool Plains belonging to George Gally then James King

Wellersley Estate - situated on Iron Bark Creek, Hexham

Werakata - The Werakata National Park is a protected national park that is located in the Lower Hunter Region of New South Wales, in eastern Australia. Cessnock area.

Werong Creek. Co. Northumberland. a small western tributary of the Wollombi Creek.

Werrendi River - Flows into the Goulburn river. (See Dixon's map)

Westbrook - Singleton district Weston - 11 km from Cessnock

Westville cottage - near St. Mary's church, West Maitland

Wetellebah - the fire is out. Aboriginal name of a station on the Namoi

Whalan - district of Liverpool plains on the Macintyre river. Station of John Wiseman

Wheel Ponds - situated in the district of Liverpool plains ; they flow into the Gwydir river

Whibayganba - (Aboriginal name ) Nobbys Island - Newcastle

Whispering Gully - Merewether

Whispering Gully - Dungog/Gloucester district. This gully is so precipitous and enclosed that echoes are very loud and even a whisper can be heard in the distance

Whisshonett - at Blandford. Residence of John Cundy in 1840

Whitehead's Lagoon - Myuna Bay, near Eraring, Lake Macquarie. Philip Whitehead, a Frenchman had a vineyard in 1898

Whitely Farm - 6 miles from Jerry's Plains

Whittingham (near Singleton); parish bounded on the N. by Hunter River; S. by Vere and Ovingham; W. by Warkworth and Wollombi; and E. by Belord parishes. Named  by H.C. Dangar after a place near Edinburgh. Named by Henry Dangar

Whyharbour (Wyharbour) (Wyabah) Farm - Part of the Sparke estate, Hunter River. 12 miles from Newcastle

Wicketywees - Co. Hunter, settlement 12 miles from Singleton. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Wickeye's Camp - in the Co. of Gloucester; on the neck of land between Smith's lake and the Myall lower lake

Wickham - (suburb of Newcastle - After suburb of Newcastle-on-Tyne. Means village by the creek
Widden - Muswellbrook shire

Wihurghully - village situated in County of Durham at the confluence of Myall creek with the Williams River; also a hill near Tabbit creek on Mackay's Melbee property

Wilalwital/Wilanwital - a creek situated in the Co. of Gloucester, empties into Port Stephens (Dangar's map)

Willabilla - Run belonging to Robert Roberts at Liverpool Plains

Williamtown - Previously known as Cabbage Tree. Names Williamtown after William Snodgrass, son of Col. Snograss

William River - Named for Lieut-Colonel William Paterson; alternatively named after the reigning British monarch King William IV.

William River - Called by the natives Dooribang - rises on the Mount Royal Range and empties into the Hunter river near Raymond Terrace

Willis - a parish in the Co. of Brisbane bounded on the E. by Melbourne parish; and S. by Dartbrook
Willis' Hill - located on the Beltrees road

Willow Tree - 12 miles from Murrurundi

Wilpinjong - Very crooked creek

Winbin - Street at Gwandalan, Lake Macquarie (Aboriginal meaning morning sun)

Winder's Hill - Co. Northumberland, a peaked hill, overhanging the Hunter River 2 miles NE of Lochinvar

Windella Estate - Known as the Big Hill Paddock on the Maitland Road near Lochinvar

Winding Creek - early name for Cardiff

Windermere - Grant to Thomas White Melville Winder

Windmill Farm - Situated between Morpeth and Hinton. John Portus

Wingen - Fire (the burning mountain is here) See Map 9

Wingen, Mount - Co. Brisbane, known as the Burning Mountain; on a range 12 miles from Scone. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Wiragulla/ Wirra Gulla - The Ben Bullen parrot (aboriginal meaning); John Hooke senior's land

Wirey Gully - (same as above) Dungog District - 2000 acre Grant to John Hooke; later Benjamin Hooke.

Wirey was the name given by aborigines to the twigs which fell off the box trees and were used for roasting paddymelon for flavour.

Wirrung Island - Port Stephens (1826)

Wiseman's Ferry - named after Solomon Wiseman. Situated on the Hawkesbury River

Witta - Called by the natives Billah; in the county of Gloucester; the estate of Mr. Mayers

Wittingham - Co. Northumberland,

Wogarabil - A muddy creek (aboriginal meaning)

Wolfe Street Newcastle - named after Arthur Woolf, engineer

Wolsingham - a parish in Co. Durham bounded on the W. by Stanhope; S. by the river Hunter; E. by Houghton and Middlehope; and N. by Tyramin

Wollar - Flat bordering on the creek

Wollemi - Singleton district Wollen - A mountain situated in Co. Durham at the head of the Rouchel brook and Stewart's brook

Wollomba - a river situated in co. Gloucester; empties into Wallace Lake

Wollombi - The meeting of the waters (aboriginal meaning) Town situated on the banks of Wollombi brook 93 1/2 miles from Sydney on the Great North Road. Previously known as Corobeare

Wollombi - parish in co. Northumberland bounded on the N. by Warkworth; W. and S. by Wollombi Brook; and e. by parishes of Vere and Whittingham

Wollomol - Run at Liverpool Plains taken up by George Jenkin

Wollun - Grant to George Blaxland - Hunter River

Wombo - A mountain situated in Co. of Hunter between the Hunter river and Wollombi brook. See Dixon's map

Wombromurra - run at Liverpool Plains taken up by R.L. Jenkins

Wommara - A throwing stick Wonga Creek - native name for Thalaba Creek near Dungog

Wonnarua - Hunter Valley Electoral district 1900

Woodbury - land once owned by Edward Sparke

Woodlands - Estate of James Arndell - Jerry's Plains

Woodlands - Estate of Edward Sparke - Hunter River

Woodlands - Home of Joseph Wood at Newcastle. Later became a private hospital

Woodland Estate - The property of Emanuel Hungerford jun., 1861. West Maitland

Woodville - Estate of John Galt Smith - Patterson's Plains

Woodville Farm - 2000 farm owned by Charles Throsby. Situated at Black Creek

Woolabra (Collywarry) Run of Thomas Parnell at Liverpool Plains

Woolf's Cottage - Situated in Abbott Street, Maitland

Woombooba - Manning River aboriginal name meaning That Kangaroo. Name for Forster

Worindi Rivulet - Co. Brisbane. a northern tributary of the Goulburn River. Geographical Encyclopaedia of NSW 1893

Worawollang - see Warawallug

Worrimi - native land/people between the Hunter and the Manning rivers perhaps as far sth as Hawkesbury. Language Kuttung

Woy Woy - Much water (aboriginal meaning) (also Wau Wai, the aboriginal expression for a voracious fish (NMH)

Wyabah - Village which became established on the north-western boundary of John Sparke's property at Hexham.

Wyabray - Run at Liverpool Plain belonging to Thomas Parnell

Wybong - situated in Co. of Brisbane near the town of Muswellbrook. Residence of W. Cox. Aboriginal meaning a dead fire

Wyee - Fire (aboriginal meaning)

Wylie's Flat - near Singleton Wyoming Farm - Farm of Frederick Augustus Hely, Brisbane Water

Wynn - parish in Co. Durham bounded on the N. by Althorpe; S. by the Hunter River ; and E. by Howick

Wyong - Running water (aboriginal meaning)

Wyong Hill - Co. Northumberland, a high hill lying on the N. bank of the
Wyong Creek near its fall into the Tuggerah Beach Lake

Wyrahalong - Between Tuggerah lakes entrance and Brisbane Water (see Dixon's map)


High Street West Maitland - Illustrated Sydney News 8 August 1889