Captain James St. John Ranclaud wife and
five children arrived on the
Pyramus from London in May 1829.
Caswell and family also arrived on this vessel. The location
of his land grant can be found in part on the above map on the
lower left side just below the grant to G. Weller.
The following article about
Captain James St. John Ranclaud was published in the Newcastle
Morning Herald in 1902.
THE CATHEDRAL CEMETERY - CAPTAIN
RANCLAUD. , A PIONEER PASTORALIST.
Over 70 years ago, near the banks of
Cockle Creek there stood a comfortable homestead surrounded by
some 6000 acres of land, the property of
Captain James St. John Ranclaud.
The old homestead has long since passed
away, and few who know the present township of Teralba would
realise that in years gone by flocks of sheep, horses, and
cattle were successfully reared and fattened here.
Captain Ranclaud was an officer of the
Old Pompadours (56th) now merged into the Essex
Regiment, and after considerable service in India, retired from
the Army and came to NSW in 1825. He secured land in the
locality of Teralba, the homestead was originally called Trialba
– and at once set himself to improve the place and establish a
station. His wife, who was a daughter of colonel Boscawen, and
niece of the admiral of that name, accompanied him, and shared
the exigencies of pioneer life in what was then a wild country.
The homestead, in common with all
others, was worked with assigned servants but the captain was a
humane man, and while exacting obedience neither allowed nor
practiced cruelty to prisoners which was so common in the early
days. His treatment of the men was reciprocated for in the
thirties when escaped prisoners were raiding the bush in every
direction, Trialba enjoyed immunity from attack.
As a pastoralist Captain Ranclaud ranked
among the pioneers in the Northern district. A firm believer in
the ultimate future of the wool growing industry, he imported
sheep from Germany at the same time the A.A. Co brought out the
animals which formed the basis of the magnificent flocks they
own today both lots of sheep being in quarantine together.
He died at Newcastle in 1836, having had
a paralytic seizure twelve months previously from which he never
recovered, and his remains were interred in the churchyard where
by his side in later years Captain Biddulph was buried. The
vault is covered by a plain stone on which is inscribed – Sacred
to the memory of James St. John Ranclaud who departed this life
May 29 1836, in the 46 years of his life and Susanna wife of the
above who departed this life December 23 1861 aged 72.
Captain Ranclaud left three sons, the
eldest being the late Mr. James John Ranclaud, father of Lieut-Col
Ranclaud, District Commandant and Messrs, John, Hugh and Bruce
Ranclaud. The second son married Miss Biddulph, whose sons
J.S. and B.
Ranclaud are also well known. It was due to personal friendship
that another military settler Lieut. Caswell came to Australia
and settled at Soldiers Point Port Stephens where he like
Captain Ranclaud received a grant of land.
Morning Herald 4 April 1902