Free Settler or Felon?

Home Index


Hunter Valley



Medical Practitioners

James Douglass

Maitland and Stroud

Stroud 1843 - 1847

James Douglas arrived as surgeon superintendent on the Adromache in 1839.

He assisted Colin Buchanan when he first used ether as an anaesthetic at Port Stephens in 1847.

In October 1852 James Douglas took over the practice of Mr. John Scott who had temporarily relinquished the business due to ill health and moved to Newcastle. The surgery was probably situated in High Street in Thomas Dee's Cottage formerly occupied by Mr. Chambers, solicitor (near Rev. Purves's Church).

James Douglas died in 1897.....Douglas, April 27, at his late residence 80 Glebe Road, (Sydney) James Douglas surgeon, only son and last surviving child of the late Major James Douglas, of the East India Co., Service, who died at Edenside, Kelso, Scotland in his 94th year. (1)

His obituary was published in the Maitland Weekly Mercury -

The death is recorded of Mr. James Douglas, surgeon at the age of 93. He was born in Bombay on 25th February 1804. He was the only son of Major James Douglas EI. Company's service, was educated at the High School, Edinburgh and studied medicine at the University in that city. He afterwards served as a surgeon under Sir C. Napier. In 1839 he came to this colony, settled at Stroud, and then on the Manning. In 1853 he removed to Maitland where during a residence of 11 years he gained general esteem. Owing to threatened paralysis he in 1864 removed to the Glebe, where he continued the practice of his profession for some years. For the past few years he has been confined to his house through weakness, but was free from pain and retained his faculties and cheerfulness to the last. He was a man of broad sympathies and took a hearty interest in all efforts to help his fellows. By his death the New South Wales Auxiliary to the British and Foreign Bible Society loses one of its oldest supporters and vice presidents. He was buried at Balmain Cemetery the Rev. T.E. Clouston B.A. conducting the service. The Rev. R.T. Hills also took a part in it and many old friends o the deceased were also present.

Notes & Links:

1). Early Days in Port Stephens


(1).  Sydney Morning Herald 28 April 1897

(2). Maitland Weekly Mercury- 8 May 1897   


web counter