In 1845 James Watson placed the following advertisement in the Maitland Mercury:
James Watson who formerly kept the Shamrock Inn
, begs leave respectfully to inform his friends and the public that he has opened that commodious House built by Mr. Henry Nowland
, at the Chain of Ponds half way between Singleton and Muswellbrook and trusts by a strict attention to the comfort of travellers and moderate charges to merit a portion of their patronage. Splendid stabling and supply of horse provender. Chain of Ponds, Liddell 
This was the Lady Gipps Inn which was re-named the Lady Mary Fitzroy in 1847.
James Watson was granted a publican's license for the Lady Mary Fitzroy in 1848.
 Maitland Mercury 11 January 1845
 Maitland Mercury 26 April 1848