Lawrence Myles arrived as a free settler on the vessel
Adams on 11 November 1828.
He married Harriet H. Pearson at Campbelltown in
He was granted 2560 acres of land......
Gloucester - Lawrence Myles, 2560 acres, Upper William
River; promised by Sir Ralph Darling on 6th December 1828 to
Lawrence Myles as a primary grant, and possession authorised
on 28th October 1835 in lieu of the like quantity of which
he received possession on 5th March 1829; quit rent 21 5s
8d. per annum, commencing 1st January 1837 (1).
road to his farm was described in Teegs Pocket Almanac in
Cross the Williams River to Canningalla,
Sir James Dowling's
Farm. About a mile on the right is the
confluence of the William and Chichester Rivers. Lower down
the William on the north bank are the farms of Mr. W. Foster
and Lawrence Myles.
From Tillegra there is a track
to the south west following upwards the course of the Myall
to the right of mount Narroni and crossing the range by
Mount Windeyer to Park's grant on the Allyn River.
In 1856 the Estate was sub-divided and sold in 28
agricultural farms, all with frontage to the Williams River.
They were described as being so near to Dungog and being
within a convenient distance of Clarence Town, where the
steamers regularly trade to, there is every facility offered
to the farmer to send his produce to Sydney or sell it at
his own door where there is a market. On many of these farms
there are considerable improvements, most have a house and
barn built on them.
Lawrence Myles died at
Cumberland Place, Sydney after a protracted illness on 14
January 1858. He was 62 years of age. His widow lived on
until 1903. She died at
Homebush age 89 years.
Notes & Links:
Extract from an article of reminiscences of R.W. Alison
printed in the Dungog Chronicle on 1 June 1945......
On the bank of the river opposite Dungog was the grant
of 2560 acres to Lawrence Myles. It comprised all the river
frontage from and including Lowrey's on the south to the
property of O.E. Carter on the north. Myles never lived
there nor did he do anything to improve it, but sold it to
John Hooke for two thousand pounds Hooke paid one thousand
and as times got bad he could not pay the balance. He had
occupied it for years and he did a great deal of
improvements, which he lost when Myles re-possessed the
property and after the discovery of gold he subdivided it
and sold it by auction somewhere about 1860. The prices
realised were as high as 18 pounds per acre
1). Sydney Morning Herald 26 May 1846