- Brief biographies of four apothecaries who lived in in Maitland in the 1840's - William Lipscomb
, Charles Vavasour Earle
, William Mutlow
and William Townley Pinhey
A Trip to Maitland in 1826
- In 1826 a correspondent to the Monitor
who possessed land in the vicinity of Wallis Plains (Maitland), made a voyage from Sydney to Newcastle in a cutter before transferring to a smaller vessel to convey him to Maitland. In a series of letters to the Monitor
in June 1826 he described the trip up the Hunter River.
- Links to Bushrangers of the Hunter Valley
Colonial Military Officers
-Officers who served or settled in Newcastle, Maitland and the Hunter Valley
Edward Denny Day
- Police Magistrate at Maitland who was known throughout the district for his courage, integrity and persistent pursuit of justice.
- Hannan House was built on a 40 acre veteran's allotment by John Hannan. By the end of 1843 Hannan House had become a temporary hospital for the district when the Benevolent Asylum situated in Caroline Chisholm's barracks became inadequate for the needs of the community. The house was used in this capacity until the new Maitland Hospital was opened in 1849.
Henry Stuart Russell's journey
to the north through Maitland and the Hunter Valley
Hunter Valley Place Names
- Notes on the Origins and Locations of Place Names Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Maitland, Hunter Valley, Liverpool Plains, New South Wales.
Hunter Valley Steamers
- Information about some of the paddle steamers that plied the Hunter River in 1830's and 1840s.
Inns & Hotels in Maitland
- Links to information about Inns and Innkeepers in East and West Maitland 1820's - 1840's.
- Find out more about the history of Maitland Gaol which in 1848 became the main gaol for the Northern Circuit District. Prisoners confined in Newcastle gaol numbering about forty were transferred by Steamer to Morpeth and transferred to Maitland Gaol in December 1848.
-- Maitland Hospital received the first patients in November 1849.
- Links to 75 Medical Practitioners known to have been active in Newcastle, Maitland and the Upper Hunter in the 1830's and 1840's.
- Molly Morgan is Maitland's best known convict. She built the Angel Inn at Maitland around 1829
Morpeth History Links
- Find out more about early residents at Morpeth
Police Force in Maitland
- A list of Police Magistrates, Chief Constables and Constables known to have served at Maitland 1830's - 1850's
-An account of the Connor Family from Ireland to Australia by Sister Rita King
Reminiscences of Maitland
- A summary and links to a series of articles printed in the Maitland Mercury and the Maitland Weekly Mercury in the years 1893 - 1896 entitled Reminiscences of Maitland includes events between the years 1843 - 1862.
Rev Edward Griffith
- Rev. Edward Griffith accepted a call from the Colonial Missionary Society to found a Congregational Church at Ipswich, Queensland in 1854. Later he transferred to Maitland. Rev. Griffith's daughter Mary Griffith published a book entitled 'Memorials of Rev. Edward Griffith' which gives interesting account of the family's years spent in Maitland.
Robert Lorn Pattison
- Paddle steamer captain and innkeeper
Sarah Morris - from mother to convict to publican
- By descendant Janelle Collins
RESIDENTS AND LANDOWNERS AT MAITLAND 1840's
Victoria Bridge between East and West Maitland
for more information
Blain, Rev. Robert
Campbell, Pieter Laurenz
Crummer, Major James Henry
Day, Edward Denny
Garven, Rev. John Hill
- Cabinet maker
Keddie, Robert King
King, William Francis
Levy, Lewis W
Mitchell, Sir Thomas Livingston
Pilcher, Henry I
Rusden, Rev. George Keylock
- Coach Driver
Spencer, John Lewis
Stack, Rev. William
- Coach driver
Wallis Creek is a southern tributary of the Hunter River, taking its rise in Mount Vincent, and flowing in a northerly direction across the road from East to West Maitland, which two towns it separates. It is crossed by a fine wooden structure known as the Victoria Bridge, above. The old brick house standing on the western shore of the Creek is remarkable as being the dwelling of one of the oldest of the Hunter River residence. - Illustrated Sydney News