Free Settler or Felon?

Home  Index to Settlers and Estates Recollections of Rev. Boodle     Muswellbrook Buildings 1850s

Search Free Settler or Felon?
Muswellbrook History Links

View of Muswellbrook -  Australian Town and Country Journal (Sydney, NSW : 1870 - 1907)  Sat 11 Nov 1871  Page 16
View of Muswellbrook

 
FIRST ALLOTMENTS SOLD IN MUSWELLBROOK 1834 - 35.......

George Forbes 26 August 1834 12 roods
Henry Nowland 8 April 1835 22 roods
Henry Nowland 8 April 1835 32 roods
Henry Nowland 8 April 1835 42 roods
George Forbes; 8 April 1835 52 roods
J.W. Evans 8 April 1835 62 roods
Henry Nowland 8 April 1835 72 roods
Henry Nowland 8 April 1835 82 roods
J.T. Hughes 13 December 1835 92 roods
J.T. Hughes; 13 December 1835 102 roods
Francis Mitchell 13 December 1835 112 roods
Francis Mitchell 13 December 1835 122 roods
E.D. Lee 31 August 18351 32 roods
J.R. Hatfield 31 August 18351 42 roods
E.D. Lee 31 August 18351 52 roods
J.R. Hatfield 31 August 18351 62 roods
Samuel Wright 18 June 18351 72 roods
Samuel Wright 18 June 18351 82 roods
George Forbes 7 February 1835 192 roods
Samuel Wright 26 August 1834*(first two blocks sold in 1834)202 roods
James Mudie 6 November 1835 12 roods
Ed. Davis & Joseph Spears 30 November 1835 52 roods
A.B. Spark 6 November 1835 62 roods
Richard Clarke; 6 November 1835 12 roods
K.R. Reuben 3 October 1835 92 roods
K.R. Reuben; 3 October 18351 02 roods
George Bowman; 31 August 1835 112 roods
George Bowman 31 August 1835 122 roods
J.K. McDougall; 8 May 1835 12 roods
J.K. McDougall 8 may 1835 22 roods
C.W. Roemer 6 November 1835 182 roods
J.J. Peacock 3 October 1835 102 roods
C.W. Roemer; 8 May 1835 192 roods
Thomas Roper 20 April 1835 202 roods
H.R. Reuben 3 October 1835 112 roods;


MUSWELLBROOK YEAR BY YEAR

1827 -

The earliest reference to the name Muscle Creek in The Australian 14 February 1827


1831 -

Sir Thomas Livingstone Mitchell's expedition passed through Muswellbrook in November 1831


1831 -

Rev. Wilton, Chaplain of Newcastle made frequent visits to the Upper Hunter and Muswellbrook area


1833 -

On 5th August Surveyor Robert Dixon was instructed to prepare a field plan for the village reserve set up at the junction of Muscle Creek and the Hunter River


1834 -

The first town blocks were offered for sale on 26th August 1834


1835 - Second auction in June


1836 - 1839 -

A great drought, leading up to the 1839 - 40 depression


1837 -

A coach began running between Darlington, Muswellbrook and Invermein

Rev. Rusden of Maitland visited Muswellbrook for services

The first Post Office opened in a store in the main street, Bridge Street. Richard Dangar the first Postmaster


1838 -

Court House established. Magistrate Edward Denny Day;


1839 -

Meeting held at the Post Office on 10th June to discuss building a Church of England and parsonage;

Henry Pierce established a saddler and harness maker business


1839-40

The beginning of the Depression. Farmers began boiling down cattle and sheep and sale of tallow became important source of money


1840  -

The first School House was built

The Benevolent Society established

A Court House was erected and Presbyterian services were held there prior to the building of St. John's Church

The Jewboy Gang passed through Muswellbrook

On 30th December Francis Allman was appointed Police Magistrate


1841

A steam flour mill established by George Chivers

Death of  Sir Francis Forbes of Skellator


1842

Township of Forbes town laid out on the south side of Muscle Creek by Sir Francis Forbes two sons Francis and David. This town did not eventuate;

Mr. Stanley completed building of a mansion house with shops for a butcher, chandler and barber;

A bridge across Stanley Creek (Possum Gully) gave rise to the name Bridge Street


1843

Old St. Alban's Church of England was built on the banks of Possum Gully during the incumbency of  Rev. William Gore. The church was built by  Captain Scott of Bengalla with his own convict labourer and workmen

A site for a Presbyterian church, manse and school selected and approved. Citizens associated with the building of the church were Messrs George Bowman,  John Hudson Keys, Thomas Simpson Hall, Ebenezer Hall and Donald Macintyre.  

Rev. Irving Hetherington of Singleton was the minister in charge


1844

George Chiver's steam flour mill converted to a clothing factory where colonial tweeds and woollen goods were for sale


1845

A Temperance Society was established

The Church of England of St. Alban's consecrated by Bishop Broughton of Newcastle


1847

The Mitchell Line was abandoned by coaches in favour of the new road to Singleton


1848

Bishop Tyrrell visited the town on horseback; the first mail contract issued to  Thomas Dangar

Rev. Richard George Boodle arrived in Muswellbrook

Joseph Chivers established the Muswellbrook Woolwashing and Fellmonger business


1849

Meeting of the Magistrates, Clergy and Gentry held at the Court House to establish Benevolent Society


1850

Rev. John Dunmore Lang visited Muswellbrook and preached in the brick Presbyterian Church on 10th November. Online

Calls for a new lockup - A new lock up was needed as all prisoners from the northern district on route to Maitland gaol had to be confined in the old wooden building used since police were first stationed in the district.


1851

Completion of the Court House - Designed by late Colonial Architect. 3 rooms, the middle one sufficiently large to hold Quarter Sessions; Ornamental stone at the front. Contractor Henry Nowland

Rev. Boodle provided a substantial feast for the children of the St. Alban's Episcopal school on the occasion of the annual exams. A pleasant day, the loud laughter and hearty calls ringing through the quiet parsonage grounds until sunset when all departed


1852

Death of Captain Samuel Wright;

Muswellbrook Cloth Factory and Flour Mill sold - a brick building 93ft long x 23 ft wide.

1853 Chiver's Flour Mill purchased by John Portus

Denman township established on the village reserved and gazetted as a town. Named for Judge Denman, grand uncle of Lord Denman who was to become the fifth Governor General of Australia from 1911 - 1914


1854

Chiver's Flour Mill purchased by Joseph and Alfred Denison


1855

The Great Northern Railway line for the Hunter Valley commenced from Newcastle


1856

Soap and candle manufacturers established in Lower Brook Street


1857

The Great Northern Railway line reached Maitland;

A mechanics Institute established in Muswellbrook;

The first hospital set up in an old stone building which the Muswellbrook Benevolent Society purchased from Joseph Ashburn

A great flood occurred.

Excerpt from The History of Muswellbrook, Muswellbrook Shire Council; The Maitland Mercury; The Sydney Herald; The Sydney Gazette


MUSWELLBROOK RESIDENTS 1830's - 1840's

Agnew, Edward, Clerk of Petty Sessions
Allman, Francis, Police Magistrate
Baxter, B
Beames, Robert, Storekeeper, Postmaster
Blaxland, George, Land owner
Boodle, Rev. Richard
Bowlan, Thomas, Constable
Bradshaw, Lloyd, Poundkeeper
Brown, James, Constable
Burgall, George, Eating house and store
Burley, George, Constable
Butler, Henry C, Magistrate
Campbell, John, Chief Constable
Carpenter, John Innkeeper
Chivers, Joseph Store owner
Connor, Peter Constable
Cox, John Hobart Land owner
Dangar, Richard Postmaster
Dawe, Peter Emancipist
Day, Edward Denny Police Magistrate
Dwyer, John Constable
Evans, Tucker Magistrate
Everness, William Bailiff of the Court of Requests
Forbes, David Land owner
Forbes, Sir Francis Land Owner, Chief Justice
Fox, Charles Constable
Halkin, Charles Watchhouse keeper
Hall, Thomas Simpson Land owner
Hannell, John Constable
Hegarty, Pierce Store owner
Kerr, Thomas Agent for the Free Press. Storekeeper
Keys, John Hudson Land owner
Kingsmill, Henry Bailiff
Kirkwood, James Builder and Cabinetmaker
Lewis Lipman Auctioneer, Store owner
Logan, James Constable
Maher, Patrick Constable
Mahoney, Jeremiah Constable
McAlpin, Phoebe Confectioner, baker
McIntyre, Donald Land Owner
Murray, Hugh Bailiff of the Court of Requests
Nowland, Henry Land owner. Innkeeper
Pierce, Henry Saddler
Pringle, Robert Land owner
Ralfe, James Surveyor in 1839
Richardson, Edward Innkeeper
Ridgeway, Charles Poundkeeper
Scott, Captain David Land owner
Scovell, Edward Magistrate
Shinkwin, William, Constable
Skinner, Francis, Constable
Smith, George, Sheriff's Bailiff
Stringall, Nathanial, Tinman
Thornton, Sylvester, Innkeeper
Ward, Richard, Innkeeper


NOTES AND LINKS

1). Muswellbrook Postal Directory 1867

2). Australian Almanac 1867

3). Muswellbrook in the Early Days - People and Buildings in 1856 by G.W. Phillips who resided in Muswellbrook as a boy

4). The Muswellbrook Chronicle (NSW : 1898 - 1955) Fri 21 Feb 1930 Page 4

5). The Muswellbrook Chronicle (NSW : 1898 - 1955) Fri 28 Feb 1930 Page 8