John Callaghan was granted a publican's
license for the Settlers Arms in 1836 - 1839.
Charles Robins, settler and storekeeper of Maitland in the
1830's was innkeeper at the Settlers Arms in High
Street, West Maitland in 1842 prior to the license being
transferred to William Court in February 1843. Charles Robins
took over the Paterson Hotel in
1847. A son was born to him at the Paterson Hotel in November
William Court had previously held the license for
the Governor Gipps at Wollombi and the
Black Cock Inn at
William Winter took over the Settlers' Arms from
William Court in January 1844. He moved to the Cross Keys Inn
and a license was granted for that Inn in 1846. He later held
the license for the Red
In November 1844 the Settlers Arms was
advertised for auction: 'All that one acre of land more or less
being part of the grant of Mary Hunt, situated at Maitland;
bounded on the north east by the government or main road, on the
south and west by land formerly of the said Mary Hunt, and on
the south east by land of the late Thomas Coulson; to commence
from the boundary or side line of the said Thomas Coulson's
land, with a frontage to the main road of four rods and thence
forty rods in depth; together with the MESSUAGE or INN, known by
the name of the SETTLERS' ARMS, and other buildings thereon
erected. The above premises to be sold subject to a mortgage to
Mr. Manning of 300'
Lewis Cohen, President of the Jewish Burial Ground Society,
was granted a license for the Settlers Arms in April
1845 In 1846 he was involved in an altercation with his cook,
William Woodwall who, upon being told to go to bed objected,
expostulating that he was 'not a common fellow'. In the skirmish
that followed, Woodwall bit the finger of Lewis Cohen and Cohen
then seized him by the collar and kicked and knocked him down.
Woodwall objected to this treatment and took Cohen to Court. The
case was dismissed when the Magistrate concluded that Woodwall
had been the cause of the fracas.
Cohen's staff troubles
persisted. In November 1846 he was compelled to charge Benjamin
Small under the Masters & Servants Act after Small failed to
fulfill a specified contract to make 31 looking glass frames for
2/- each ( presumably for the Inn) and in January 1847 a robbery
took place at the Inn. Staff were suspected as the entry to bar
where the robbery took place was from the interior of the house.
A search of the strictest standards was undertaken however
nothing more could be found of the money that had been stolen.
Perhaps his staff were also to blame when he was fined
later in 1847 for allowing his lamp at the Inn to be
In 1847, Lewis Cohen announced that he was
'forced by circumstances to relinquish public housekeeping and
turn merchant' and offered clothing and other articles for sale.
He transferred license for the Settlers Arms to
Charles Whittaker who had previously been refused a license
for the Golden Fleece Inn.