Edmund Wright held the license for the Spread Eagle Inn at Rutherford in 1844, 1845, and 1846.
He could provide 1000 acres of fenced accommodation
paddock opposite his residence for horses and colts.
July 1848 he moved to George Poulton's House known as the
Cross Keys Inn
Jacob Gorrick took up the license for the Spread Eagle
Inn in April 1848 (2) ...........
J. Gorrick begs respectfully to acquaint his friends and the
public that he has opened the Spread Eagle Inn (late Wrights)
with a choice selection of wines spirits cordials etc and in
soliciting their patronage assures them that no pains will be
spared to render them comfortable should they favour him with a
call. The accommodation paddocks are large secure and well
watered and every information will be afforded parties having
fat cattle or sheep for sale as to the state of the market and
best buyers. A careful steady stockman has been engaged to
assist in drafting cattle and to fetch up the working bullocks
every morning. Every attention will be paid to stock but JG will
not be responsible for loss or accidents. (3)
One year later Mr. Gorrick was advertising 'Attractive
Sport' to be held at the Inn on Easter Monday. A first rate
hog-skin saddle was the prize for the first race to be held on
the day and a new hat for climbing a greasy pole. The concluding
sport would be a race for a pig with his tail greased.
Find out more about Colonial
Spencer Butler was granted a publican's license for the
Spread Eagle Inn
and in April 1854 Joshua John Rose was granted the license.
In 1863 bushranger Thunderbolt was found at the Spread
Eagle Inn by Mr. Delaney after carrying out a robbery at
the nearby toll gate.