Find the location of St. John's Tavern
Baker's Australian county atlas [cartographic material] :
dedicated by the publisher to Sir T.L. Mitchell ... showing the
various parishes, townships, grants, purchases and unlocated
lands. 1843 - 1846. MAP RaA 8. Part 4.
was granted a publican's license for the St. John's Tavern
at Darlington in June 1838, 1839 and 1840.
In 1841 St.
John's Tavern - 'that well known house, situated at Darlington,
Patrick Plains and possessing every convenience for carrying on
a first rate trade in the public line' was advertised to be let.
Immediate possession offered. (8)
The publican's license
was transferred from William Matthews to
Edward Greenland in April 1841. Edward Greenland had
previously held the license for the Wheatsheaf Inn at Hexham.
Greenland was granted the license for St.
John's Tavern again in June 1842 (1)
James Doyle held the license in June 1843 and 1844 (1)
In June 1845 Walter Rotton was granted the publican's
In 1846 Michael McCann who was employed as an
out door servant by
Walter Rotton was sentenced to hard labour for six weeks
after he stole a pint pot of brandy from the tap at the hotel.
Walter Rotton had left his brother
John Rotton in charge of the Inn in his absence and McCann
had taken the opportunity to steal the brandy (9)
John Singleton was the next innkeeper having been granted a
license in June 1847. Injured policeman Sergeant Edwards was
taken to the inn in April where he was treated by
Dr. Glennie. (53) John
Singleton's wife gave birth to a daughter at Darlington in
September 1847 while they were still at the Inn. (10)
According to the Maitland Mercury, Bourn Russell junior who
married a daughter of Benjamin Singleton, was granted a license
for the St. John's Tavern in April 1848. (11) In June
license was for the Prince of Wales at Stoney Creek, Jerry's Plains. Bourn Russell
junior left for the California gold fields in 1849 (21)
The Inn was known as the Prince of Wales Inn in 1849 when James
Briggs became publican.......
'A pigeon match and race
for a saddle will take place at the Prince of Wales Inn,
Darlington on St. Patrick's Day. The pigeon match will be for a
pony, entrance for which will be in all Four Pounds; and the
saddle of best quality to be run for by all horses except those
known on the turf. James Briggs over the river from Singleton'.
James Briggs had two charges brought against him
under the Licensing Act.
In October 1850, he was charged
with failing to keep good order in his house by allowing a
certain woman to be improperly dealt with. The evidence of
constable Joseph Davis (which could not be published) was that
he found women drinking and making a noise in Mr. Brigg's house
and knowing one of these women to be a woman of loose character,
who had recently left he gaol, he cautioned Mr. Briggs as to
allowing her to be on his premises. The following afternoon
Davis returned to the house, and again in the evening, and on
both occasions he found this woman there, very drunk and he
described what he observed, and what passed. The bench convicted
Briggs, reminding him that this was the second conviction
against his house. He was fined £10 and costs.(53)
was possibly this James Briggs who arrived as a convict on the
Speke in 1821. He was assigned to John Bull in 1828 and received
a ticket of leave for the district of Patrick Plains in January
of that year although it was later cancelled for disorderly
In October 1849 Robert Hardy obtained a
certificate for a publican's general license for the Prince of
Wales Inn and renamed it the Freemason's Arms.
(1)Certificates for publicansí licenses,
1853-1861. NRS 14403, reels 5063-5066, 1236-1242. State Records
Authority of New South Wales