In 1843 the Red House,
formerly known as the New Inn was run by Mark Green. He
and his wife were held up by bushrangers there in February.
The Maitland Mercury reported the incident: -
On Saturday last a
fellow, well armed, entered the house of Mark Green, known as
the Old Red House, on the old road to Black Creek, and having
bailed up Mr. and Mrs. Green he proceeded to plunder the
premises. He took away with him a gun two pistols a quantity of
Mr. Green's wearing apparel and all the money he could find in
the house. The bushranger was later wounded and captured not far
from the Inn when he attempted to rob Mr. Crawford.
Later that year, Mr. Sharpley, was the proprietor of the Red
House. He appeared to answer a charge of exhibiting a sign on
his premises indicating the proximity of a public house, without
holding a publican's license....... 'It appeared from the
deposition of constable Graham that he had inspected the sign in
question, and that it appeared to be the shattered remains of a
former sign which had been suffered to remain, and that it never
conveyed to his mind the most remote idea that it had been
exhibited for sinister purposes. Case dismissed.'
Mark Pewter arrived on the convict ship Katherine
Stewart Forbes in 1830 and received a ticket of leave in
1838. He ran The Red House which was not licensed
between the years 1844 and 1846. He provided accommodation,
paddocks and stockyards.
Mark Pewter having entered
upon the above premises begs to inform parties travelling that
road that they will meet with good accommodation at reasonable
charges. Teams can have the advantage of paddocks and stockyard
at the under mentioned charges: Fat Cattle 1 1/2d per night
Working bullocks 2d per night Horses 3d per night
Mark Pewter was granted a Hawkers License in 1846.
The Red House was known as the Brian Boru
Inn and was operated by Mrs. Owen O'Neil in 1855.