Hunter Valley Inns & Hotels

Cross Keys Inn

Singleton

 


Joseph Singleton, formerly of the The Plough was publican of the Cross Keys in 1840.

When he died in 1841 his wife Agnes (daughter of James Neil) continued with the Inn.

Agnes' second husband John Green was granted license for the Cross Keys in 1843.  John Green died in January 1851 aged 36, leaving Agnes with five children to provide for. When the inquest of Catherine Goulding took place at the Inn in March 1850 James Neil was proprietor, however in June 1850 Agnes Green announced to the public that she was re-opening the Inn, the house having undergone extensive repairs and stocked with the best wines and ales. She hoped her old friends and customers would favour her with a call. She still held the license in 1853 when a public dinner was held there to celebrate the 9th anniversary of the Singleton Benevolent Society.

In 1854 Agnes Green placed the following Advertisement: To be let, Furnished or unfurnished, that well known inn, situated in John street, in the heart of singleton, and for the last 16 years licensed as the Cross Keys Inn. It is now in full trade, has always commanded a first rate business, and the license could be turned over next transfer day. The house is replete with every convenience; handsome bar, fitted with beer engine, spirit fountain etc; elegant and spacious sitting room two parlours and five bed rooms and tap room. The stabling consists of six complete boxes, five stalls , gig house, and granary; there are also kitchen and detached offices with garden. Agnes Green married Andrew Canavan in December 1854.  

Links and Notes:

The inquests of Mary Macpherson and William Cuthbert were held at the Cross Keys in 1849  

  

 

 

 

web counter