George Poulton was granted a new publican's license for
The Cross Keys Inn situated in High Street, West Maitland
in April 1844. As well as holding the publican's license he also
occasionally worked as a farrier.
William Winter who had previously held a publican's license
for the Settler's
Arms was granted a publicans license for the Cross
Keys. In 1846 William Winter charged two men John Burke and
Charles Creese with passing a counterfeit half crown at his
hotel. They had given the coin to Winter's wife Elizabeth
however Winter immediately recognized it as bad and he took them
into charge with the assistances of a ticket of leave holder
Henry Collins who was nearby. The two men were later found
guilty of the crime.
In July 1848
Edmund Wright took over the Cross Keys Inn. He had previously been
innkeeper at the
Spread Eagle Inn and had also purchased premises known
as the London Warehouse in
Maitland in June 1846 for £580
The license was
transferred from Edmund Wright to
George Lonsdale in March 1850.
Oliver Hackett was
granted a publican's license in 1855.