Samuel Henry Rapsey opened the Golden Lion Inn in
premises in Bank Street, East Maitland, opposite the sale yards
and formerly kept by Sergeant Lee on 1st July 1848. (This was
the Blue Bell Inn
formerly the Cottage of Content).
Samuel Henry Rapsey
died on 28th February 1849 aged 47.
In October 1849 a
publican's license for the Red Lion Inn was transferred
Eliza Rapsey to her husband Thomas Thorne. By November
Thomas Thorne was advertising 'Splendid' household furniture,
gig, horse, harness and dray to be sold by auction as he was
retiring from business and departing from the District.
William Cannon was granted a publican's license for the Red
Lion Inn in April 1852. He announced in July 1853 that he
was transferring his business to the house formerly conducted by
Thomas Thomas under the sign of the White Bear Inn,
West Maitland and which would in future be carried on under the
sign of the Gold Diggers Arms. He thanked customers for
their liberal patronage during his time at the Red Lion Inn.
George Saywell was granted a publican's license for the
Red Lion in April 1853.