Joseph Brooks Weller
George and Edward were members of a wealthy family from Kent.
Joseph arrived on the
in 1824 and was was granted 1200 acres of land on 20 October 1824 by Sir
the land being between East Maitland
and Newcastle and adjoining
John Platt's land at Iron
The Wellers used some of their capital to build a
large sandstone brick house (The Oaks) - about
200 yards from the Wallis Creek Bridge.
The Wellers were also granted 1360 acres in
1828 at Falbrook not far from
James Glennie's Dulwich
and a farm belonging to William Powditch.
Cottage (Cottage Creek) about 1 ½ miles from
Newcastle in 1832. This was a former military post situated on the road leading to
Maitland and was occupied by Rev. Threlkeld when he first came to Newcastle.
The cottage became known for a while as Weller's cottage and later became
the site of Dangar's meatworks and in 20th century, the Pallais Royale.
The family developed whaling
interests in New Zealand and Edward and Joseph junior established a whaling
station at Otago.
Joseph junior died from
tuberculosis in New Zealand in 1834 and his body was shipped to Sydney for
Edward continued to run the successful business until 1840 when he
returned to Australia
due to ill health. He lived until 1893 when he was drowned in rising flood