James Brackenreg held the publican's license for the
Currency Lad in Philip Street Sydney in
James Brackenreg was granted a publican's license for
the Australian Inn in High Street, West Maitland from
June 1840 and remained there for many years.
Australian Inn was one of three Hotels in Maitland that
placed a flag in their window to celebrate the anniversary of
the Colony in January 1844, however perhaps due to the financial
situation in the colony, little other celebration was made in
the town that year.
Henry Early was the only one to illuminate his house in the
evening to mark the occasion.
No doubt the Brackenregs were as inconvenienced as other High Street
businesses when the street turned to dust following late heavy
rains earlier in 1847.......
From 8am until sundown,
there was dust flying about from the continual wagons, drays,
carts, horses and cattle passing by. The dust lay from an inch
to an inch and a half deep, deepening in the 'drifts' to two or
three inches and covered goods, furniture and cottages with
coats of dust whenever vehicles or stock passed by.
James Brackenreg was granted a license for the
Australian Arms Inn in April 1859.
situated near the corner of High and Devonshire Streets Maitland
and opposite Allotment No. 4.
(1). Certificates for publicansí licenses, 1853-1861. NRS
14403, reels 5063-5066, 1236-1242. State Records Authority of
New South Wales, Kingswood, New South Wales, Australia.