Free Settler or Felon

Search the Free Settler or Felon Database

Convict Ship John 1827 

Share the story of your ancestor's life
Send an email to contribute your ancestor's story to this page
(Convicts and passengers from this ship only)

Home Convict Ship Surgeons Conditions on Convict Ships
Convict Ship Index/ By Year Convict Ship Captains Index Resources

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850.

J -K L M N - O P - Q R S T - V W - Y

Embarked: 188 men 
Voyage: 126 days
Deaths: 3
Surgeon's Journal: no
Previous vessel: Eliza arrived 8 November 1827
Next vessel: Louisa arrived 3 December 1827
Captain William John Moncrieff
Surgeon Superintendent James McKerrow

The John was built at Chester in 1810 and transported prisoners to Australia in 1827 (NSW), 1829 (NSW), 1831 (VDL), 1832 (NSW) and 1833 (VDL).

The John departed London on 22nd July 1827 being the next convict ship to leave England for New South Wales after the departure of the Champion in June 1827.

The Guard comprised a detachment of the 40th regiment under the orders of Lieut. Stopford, of the same corps. The 40th regiment spent almost the whole of its first period of service, between 1824 and 1829 in Tasmania, embarking for service in India in 1829.

One seaman died of typhus fever on the voyage, two more were severely ill on landing and four were in a sickly state.

The Surgeon James McKerrow drowned having thrown himself overboard during in a supposed 'fit of lunacy',  on the 16th October and no surgeon's journal survives for this voyage. James McKerrow was employed as surgeon on the convict ship Earl St. Vincent to Van Diemen's Land the previous year. On the voyage of the Earl St. Vincent the journal McKerrow kept indicates that he was a kindly surgeon. There were no deaths on the Earl St. Vincent and McKerrow was proud to state that the change for the better in their appearance after the voyage was over was truly astonishing as instead of the squalid objects of dissipation when embarked they were landed in such a renovated condition as to be capable of undergoing any common exertion or labour. He had had no occasion to have flogged any of the convicts, punishments required being only slight.

The John arrived in Port Jackson on 25 November 1827.

Alexander McLeay held a Muster of the convicts on board the John on 28 November 1827, three days after the vessel arrived in Port Jackson. Seven men had been admitted to hospital, and three had died on the journey out. 178 convicts were mustered.

Passengers included Rev. E. Smith, wife and family and John William Gosling Esq.,  

Notes & Links:

1 ). Seventeen convict ships arrived in New South Wales in 1827 - Grenada, Brothers, Albion, Midas, Mariner, Countess of Harcourt, Guildford, Marquis of Hastings, Princess Charlotte, Manlius, Cambridge, Harmony, Prince Regent, Champion, Eliza, John and the Louisa

2). Convict Edward Bowen was one of several prisoners of the John assigned to the Australian Agricultural Company on arrival. He later became one of the Hunter River Banditti bushranger gang and was executed for his crimes in 1831.

3). John Sawyer was assigned to Dr. Rutherford on arrival. He was washing wool at Castle Forbes for John Larnach and witnessed the convict uprising that took place in 1833

4). Hunter Valley convicts / passengers arriving on the John in 1827   

5).  Return of Convicts of the John assigned between 1st January 1832 and 31st March 1832 (Sydney Gazette 14 June 1832; 5 July 1832).....

Curlewis Connolly Shoemaker's boy assigned to J. Harris at Shane's Park
James Davis Clothier and labourer assigned to Timothy Nowlan at Hunter's River
John Green Carpenter's boy assigned to George Brown at Sydney
George Pearson Shoemaker assigned to William Walker at O'Connel Plains


web counter