Thomas Stubbs was an early innkeeper at Patterson's Plains.
He was granted a license under the sign of The Hunter
in June 1830.
The Hunter was ten miles from
Yeomans Inn at Maitland and situated on the left bank of the
Paterson River. (1)
George Furber was granted a publican's license for the Crown
Inn in November 1832 and 1833. He was residing at Patterson
Plains in that year when convict William Bates was assigned to
him. In 1832 he was also supplying food for the
gaol and prisoners in and out
of barracks at Newcastle.
A farm of fifty acres on the
Paterson river was advertised for sale in July 1834. It was said
to be most delightfully situated two miles below the head of
navigation and on the road from Maitland to Williams River. It
was bounded on the south by John Tucker's land and on the North
by land belonging to Mr. Reynolds. A substantial House
containing 7 rooms, licensed and known as the Crown Inn of Patterson's Plains was
situated on the property along with a stable, tobacco shed,
tobacco press and a stock yard. Well fenced and divided into the
paddocks, the soil was suitable for a variety of farm produce.
It was the only location that steam vessels could approach in
the area although none were trading to the district at that
George Furber was granted a publican's license for
the Golden Fleece
at Maitland in June 1835.
Charles Olive was granted a publican's license for the
Crown Inn in June 1834 and
Digital Collections Maps - Map of the Hunter
River, showing the location of the Crown Inn.....
(1)Ancestry.com. New South Wales,
Australia, Certificates for Publicans' Licences, 1830-1849,