James Robertson was born in 1781 in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Arrival in Australia
He arrived in Australia with his wife Anna Maria nee Ripley and children on the Providence in 1822.
Hunter Valley settler John Laurio Platt and his family also arrived as free settlers on the Providence.
Superintendent of Government Clocks
James Robertson was a watchmaker and on arrival was employed as Superintendent of Government Clocks in Sydney.
He received a land grant on the north shore of Sydney Harbour, known today as Robertson's Point, (Cremorne). He was granted 1000 acres by Governor Brisbane in 1824 and another 1000 acres was reserved for purchase. He took up this land at Jerry's Plains.
Plashett and Strowan
The land to the north of the Hunter River came to be known as 'Plashett and the land on the south as 'Strowan'. Plashett may have been first been known as Whitfield, however was re-named Plashett after the property of his wife's father, Plashett Park in Essex, England. Strowan was part of a primary grant to John Hoskins
The children of James Robertson and Anna Maria Ripley included: