John McGarvie was born in Scotland in 1795.
was selected by Rev. John Dunmore Lang as minister for the
Ebenezer church at Portland Head on the Hawkesbury River
and arrived in the
Greenock in 1826.
He received a grant
of 640 acres on the 18th July 1828. This land was
re-advertised in favour of
Cyrus Matthew Doyle in 1838.
Rev. McGarvie died in 1853 and was buried at the
Gore Hill cemetery.
Find out more about Rev.
McGarvie at the
Australian Dictionary of Biography Online