Hunter Valley Inns & Hotels

The Union Inn

Newcastle

 


The Union Inn was a cottage style building situated on the corner of Hunter and Bolton Streets, Newcastle.

Former constable John Butler Hewson who arrived on the Mangles in 1820 was granted a license for the Union Inn in 1835.(1)  He advertised good stabling and a selection of wine and spirits.

Robert Tighe who had been a soldier of the 28th regiment was employed as chief constable at Newcastle in 1839. He took over the license of the Union Inn in 1840- 1841(1)

John Butler Hewson took over the license for the Rose and Crown in Sydney in June 1841 and in 1846 moved to the Woolpack Inn on the corner of Hunter and Bolton streets Newcastle (1)

Robert Tighe was involved in the Friendly Society and The Union Inn was the venue for the establishment of the first Friendly Society in the area in May 1842. He died in March 1844 leaving a large family (5) At his funeral members of the Odd Fellow's Society intended to follow the procession to the cemetery. It was thought that as Tighe was held in very high respect by all classes in the town that the attendance at his funeral would be unusually large (7) In 1845 the license for the Inn was transferred by Robert's widow Sarah to William Latham (6)

By 1846 William Latham was in financial difficulty.

James Hannell moved the license for the Ship Inn to the Union Inn on the corner of Hunter and Bolton in December 1846 (3)

In May 1847 the premises of the Union Inn as well as the Crown Inn at Anvill Creek were advertised for sale along with several other properties. (4)

In 1856 the license for the Union Inn was transferred by John Butler Hewson to a new Inn in Blane (Hunter) Street Newcastle (1). This was built on land purchased in 1853 from the Australian Agricultural Company which became known as Honeysuckle point.

A public meeting was held at Mr. Hewson's Inn at Honeysuckle Point in February 1856 to elect a representative for the Northumberland and Hunter districts. (2)

Later Mackie's furniture store was built on the site.  John Butler Hewson was granted a publican's license until at least 1857.

The old building of the original Union Inn on the corner of Hunter and Bolton Streets was then demolished and a new two story building was erected and named the The Prince of Wales. Lewis Jones was the innkeeper of the Prince of Wales from the mid 1850s until 1870. (1) Some years later the building was occupied by the Bank of New Zealand the then passed into the hands of the Commercial Banking company of Sydney.

Sarah Tighe, wife of Robert formerly of the Union Inn, died 15 January 1858 and was buried in Christ Church Burial ground, Newcastle

References:

(1) Ancestry.com. New South Wales, Australia, Certificates for Publicans' Licences, 1830-1849, 1853-1860

(2) The Empire 27 February 1856

(3) (Maitland Mercury 12 December 1846)

(4) (Maitland Mercury 29 May 1847)

(5) Maitland Mercury 2 March 1844

(6)Maitland Mercury 28 June 1845

(7) Maitland Mercury 9 March 1844

 

 

 

web counter