Buildings at Newcastle
The following List of buildings in Newcastle is from the Historical Records of Australia, Vol, IX..........
A Handsome neat stone built Church with a Spire, situated on an elevated airy situation (Stonemason James Clohesy
....Church at Newcastle c. 1819
A Burial Ground of 4 acres enclosed with a paling
A Neat Brick built Stuccoed One Story parsonage house, with a verandah and all the necessary Out Offices and also a kitchen garden and grazing paddock, attached thereto, both enclosed with a paling. Rev. George Augustus Middleton
was assistant chaplain at Newcastle in 1822.
The house and offices for the accommodation of the Commandant repaired, enlarged and considerably improved with a good Kitchen Garden and a large grazing paddock, both enclosed for the use of the Commandant. Colonel James T. Morisset
was Commandant at Newcastle in 1822
A Brick built barrack for three Subaltern Officers, having also the necessary Out Offices and a garden attached thereto
A Brick built Barrack for the assistant Surgeon of the Settlement with the necessary Out Offices and Garden attached thereto. Assistant surgeon was George Brooks
A Brick built barrack with front verandah for the accommodation of 100 soldiers with the necessary out offices, Guard House and Square in front for parading, the whole of these premises being enclosed with a high brick wall. A large kitchen garden being also attached to the barracks for the use of the troops. The 48th regiment
were stationed at Newcastle in 1822
A weather-boarded Military Hospital with a verandah in front for the accommodation of 20 patients, enclosed with a paling
No. 5 - Hospital at Newcastle from Dangar's Map of Kingstown c. 1828
A weather-boarded Colonial Hospital with a verandah in front for the accommodation of 60 patients, having an extensive area of ground round it which is surrounded by a strong Stockade
A large commodious Stone built Gaol
, the necessary wards, cells and out offices, with apartments for the accommodation of the jailor and his family, the whole of the premises being surrounded with a strong stone wall 12 feet high
A large brick built provision store and Granary.
A weather boarded barrack for the Storekeeper with garden attached thereto. John Tucker
was Storekeeper in 1822
A weather boarded barrack for the Chief constable. John Smith
was Chief Constable in 1822
A weather boarded barrack for the Principal Superintendent of Convicts. Isaac Elliot
was Superintendent of Convicts and Public Works in 1822
A range of weather boarded barracks for the accommodation of 800 male convicts with kitchen gardens attached thereto
A separate small range of Barracks for the accommodation of 50 female convicts
A complete Lumber Yard enclosed with a strong stockade A large boat house for locking up the boats, tackle and oars in
A weather boarded Guard House in a high situation over looking the Lumber Yard, Timber Lime and Coal Yard and boat house.
A Watch house for the Constables on duty adjoining the Landing Place
A weather boarded Barrack for the Pilot, Overseers and Constables. William Eckford
was Pilot in 1822
A good strong substantial Wooden Wharf or quay and landing place for Vessels to load and unload their cargoes at.
A mole or pier on large substantial plan built of stone now erecting, across the Channel between the main and Coal Island for the purpose of protecting the Harbour of Newcastle from the great Surf coming in through the said channel and also for the purpose of confining the Waters of Hunters River exclusively to one channel so as to prevent the Harbour from being choked up. James Connolly
was Principal Overseer at Macquarie Pier in 1822
Image of partially built Macquarie Pier from Dangar's Map of Kingstown c. 1828
Two Stone built Windmills for grinding corn
A small stone tower with Light House. Can be seen on image above, centre right and below on Joseph Lycett's
image of Aborigines resting by camp fire, near the mouth of the Hunter River, Newcastle, New South Wales (
National Library Australia)
A long shed with Stock yard for the Government Working Oxen
The whole of the old streets in the town of Newcastle repaired and some new ones opened and made.
(The History of Early Newcastle 1800 - 1870, Documents and; Illustrations, Edited by D. O'Donnell) (HRA., i, IX, pp 697-8)
A View of King's Town
- University of Newcastle - Click to enlarge
The above engraving was included in Henry Dangar's Emigrant's Guide - Index and directory to map of the country bordering upon the River Hunter
. Published in London : Joseph Cross, 1828
Printed on the engraved image are the following numbered locations: No.1 River Hunter. 2. Public Wharf. 3. Nobby Island 4. North end of Breakwater once intended to connect with the Island. 5. Hospital. 6. Gaol. 7. Police Magistrates Residence. 8. Sessions House. 9. High Land on the South of Port Stephens. 10. Fort, Signal Station & Light."
NOTES AND LINKS
1). Patrick Riley was employed as overseer of carpenters at Newcastle from approximately 1816 until 1823 when he established an Inn
in the township. Some of the buildings above were probably constructed by convict labour under his direction.
2). Overseer of stonemasons James Clohesy
arrived on the convict ship Somersetshire
3). Overseer of stonemasons James Connolly
arrived on the Providence
4). Reminiscences of Watt Street
5). Harbour Lights
. The Monitor 10 January 1834