Free Settler or Felon?

Home    Free Settler or Felon Links   Bushranger Index     Law and Order

Search Free Settler or Felon Database?
George Jones & Joseph Bowers

Bushrangers at Muswellbrook and Scone 1844


George Jones arrived in New South Wales on the Dunvegan Castle in 1830 having been tried in London for highway robbery.

He was assigned to Captain John Pike in the Hunter Valley and first came to the attention of the authorities in January 1842 when he joined with Joseph Bowers to rob the Scone mail. Soon afterwards they also robbed John Lucas on the Muswellbrook road, however George Jones' more notable exploits as a bushranger began after he left the Hunter Valley.

He arrived at George Bowman's property in the Hunter Valley after bushranger Martin Cash had departed but knew Cash by reputation. Cash later met him in Port Arthur and wrote of Jones in his memoirs: -  

'I was now employed in carting stone from the quarry in charge of a free officer, and it being close upon Christmas, I deferred making another attempt for a least a fortnight or three weeks, when by that time, I should be perfectly recovered from the effects of my last adventure. The men who worked in the quarry, although belonging to the party, yet formed a separate body. We were permitted however, to converse freely; and here I became acquainted with (Lawrence) Kavanagh and (George) Jones, both of whom had been transported for life from Sydney for being under arms in the bush (but not together).

My last affair being the current topic, Jones in conversation privately informed Kavanagh that my name was not unfamiliar to him, having heard it frequently mentioned while in the service of Captain Pike (but this was after I left the service of Mr. Bowman). Some time before, he also informed him that I was considered the cleverest bushman in New South Wales and a person who could be depended upon.

Of course, I was ignorant of all this at the time, and only recollect that while waiting in the quarry for the carts to be laden, Jones called me aside and enquired if I had been a stock rider for Mr. George Bowman. I answered "Yes". He then told me that he knew me well, if not personally at least by report, being assigned to Captain Pike shortly after I left the Hunters River

"And now Martin", he observed," since we know each other, is it your intention to go again (meaning to abscond)?" I looked at him for a moment, "Yes." I replied


Joseph Bowers was an assigned servant to William Blaxland of Cassilis. He arrived on the Lady Harewood in 1831 and by the time of the Scone Mail robbery in 1842 had already been in trouble with the authorities many times over.

After absconding from the Australian Agricultural Company in 1833 he was sent to the iron gang at Newcastle. He absconded again when re-assigned to William Blaxland.

His description was posted in the Government Gazette - Occupation - Nailer; age 32; native of York. 5' 7 1/4"; ruddy and freckled complexion. Light brown hair, light hazel eyes, small scar over (r) eyebrow, tattoos.

A number of cheques stolen from the Scone Mail were found on Jones and Bowers when they were apprehended and they were committed for trial at Sydney. Captain Innes remarked at the time that he would commit them for trial for the robbery of John Lucas which would insure them as severe a punishment as the other, but that it would do away with the necessity of forwarding them to Maitland, where there was a greater chance of their escaping.

Joseph Bowers was sentenced to transportation for life. He was sent to Port Arthur but soon absconded. With five other men, he was found guilty of bushranging in March 1844 and sentenced to death without any hope of mercy.

George Jones was sentenced to transportation for Life to a penal settlement and was sent to Van Diemen's Land also. He met up with Martin Cash in December. They escaped together with another convict *Lawrence Kavanagh the day after Christmas in 1842.

George Jones was hanged 30 April 1844.

*Lawrence Kavanagh arrived on the Ferguson in 1829. He was hanged at Norfolk Island after a convict uprising in 1846.