to download 'They Came as Strangers'
Dun family for over one hundred years from just after the Napoleonic Wars up to
the end of the Great War in 1918.
William Dun arrived in Australia on board the
Mariner with his daughter and wife Maria and recommendations to become a free
settler. By 1822 he had travelled to Newcastle
on the Elizabeth Henrietta to make his land
selection. His was the first major land grant on the
river. He was assigned four convicts and
provided with supplies from the Stores at Newcastle
for the convicts and his family.
Unlike some other Hunter
Valley land owners, Dun remained on his estate and
became involved in the community in various ways.
He performed church services near 'Duninald' at the
request of the Commandant at Newcastle and received
a further land grant for this duty.
In 1822 he was appointed correspondent
member at Newcastle of the Committee of the
Agricultural Society of New South Wales, and in 1825 his
appointment as Coroner was announced.
On the Duninald
estate, Dun constructed his residence of sand stock bricks with two
chimneys at either end of the shingled roof. A verandah in the front and three rooms faced east
with three more facing the west.
One of William Dun's
daughters, Maria married George Faircloth in 1847
and another, Frances, married Charles Reynolds who
later owned 'Duninald'
Old Duninald, Cultural Collections, University of Newcastle