Free Settler or Felon

Search the Free Settler or Felon Database

Convict Ship Camden 1831 


Share the story of your ancestor's life

Send an email to contribute your ancestor's story to this page

(Convicts and passengers from this ship only)

Home Surgeons Conditions
Ship Index / By Year Captains Index Resources

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850

J -K L M N - O P - Q R S T - V W - Y

Embarked 198 men
Voyage 119 days
Deaths 0
Surgeon's Journal - Yes
Tons: 450
Previous vessel: Eleanor arrived 25 June 1831
Next vessel: Georgiana arrived 27 July 1831
Master William Fulcher.
Surgeon Superintendent
David Boyter
The Camden was built on the Thames in 1799.

Convicts were transported to New South Wales on the Camden in 1831 and 1833.

This was David Boyter's second voyage as Surgeon Superintendent. He kept a Medical Journal from 26 February to 25 July 1831. He had fewer serious diseases to contend with on this voyage compared to his first on the Mermaid and there were no accidents noted in his journal. Prisoners suffered various fevers, haemoptysis, phthisis, dysentery, dyspepsia and towards the end of the voyage, scorbutus.

The Guard consisted of 29 men - a detachment of the 11th Light Dragoons. Passengers arriving on the Camden included Captain Cooper and wife and Lieut. Bell of the 48th regiment. According to David Boyter the Guard were embarked in fine weather and under the most favourable circumstances. They were mostly very young men and had every appearance of high health and spirits.

The prisoners were also mostly young men and in a fair state of health. They came from districts throughout England and most were held on various Hulks to await transportation to the colonies. David Boyter remarked in his Journal that 198 convicts were received from four different hulks. Those from the Cumberland had the appearance of being less attended to than those of the other hulks, a great many of the Cumberlands had large ulcers on their legs, three of them so large and apparently of so long standing and character that he felt bound to reject them.....*possibly only 195 prisoners eventually sailed. The ulcers had been caused by injuries received at work in the Dock yards and the surgeon set about curing them with simple dressings and cleanliness. His efforts were thwarted in the first few weeks as the prisoners suffered with sea sickness and were unable to attend to the ulcers properly, however afterwards with proper care the sores began to improve.

The men became ill again in the hot weather as they neared Teneriffe. The soldiers of the guard also suffered from headaches at this time, caused the surgeon thought, by laying about the decks in the sun and the ardent spirits they were allowed as part of their rations. The Camden remained in the tropics for four weeks. The weather was fine and dry and medical complaints few.

As they approached colder latitudes the thermometer dropped from 78 to 86 to 50 and the men began to suffer sore throats and coughs. As they approached Sydney and had been 17 weeks on salt provision, scurvy also began to appear among the convicts and David Boyter remarked that if they had spent another week at sea he would have more serious cases of scurvy to deal with, however the timely supply of fresh provisions restored the men to a fair state of health.

The Camden arrived in Port Jackson on 25 July 1831. A muster of 192 convicts was held on board on 27th July. Six men were in the hospital in Sydney. The convict indents include name, age, education, religion, marital status, family, occupation, native place, offence, date and place of trial, sentence, prior convictions, physical description and where and to whom the prisoner was assigned. There are also occasional notes such as dates of death or colonial sentences.

Many of the men of the Camden were subject to punishment such as William Graham endured in 1833.........  

The Camden was on her return voyage to England when she spoke the Palambam near Rio de Janeiro in July 1831. (SG 28 July 1831)

Notes & Links:

1). David Boyter was employed as surgeon convict ships Mermaid in 1830, Camden in 1831, Andromeda in 1833 and the Hero in 1835.

2). Hunter Valley convicts/ passengers arriving on the Camden in 1831

3).  Return of Convicts of the Camden assigned between 1st January 1832 and 31st March 1832 (Sydney Gazette 14 June 1832).....

John Clarke Shipwright assigned to Michael Hindmarsh at Illawarra


web counter