Free Settler or Felon

Search the Free Settler or Felon Database

Convict Ship Camden 1833 


Share the story of your ancestor's life

Send an email to contribute your ancestor's story to this page

(Convicts and passengers from this ship only)

Home Surgeons Ship Conditions
Ship Index / By Year Captains Index Resources

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850

J -K L M N - O P - Q R S T - V W - Y

Embarked 200 men
Voyage 149 days
Deaths 2
Surgeon's Journal - Yes
Tons: 450
Previous vessel: Roslin Castle arrived 5 February 1833
Next vessel: Surry arrived 9 March 1833
Captain George Clayton  
Surgeon Superintendent
Joseph Steret
The Camden was built on the Thames in 1799. Convicts were transported to New South Wales on the Camden in 1831 and 1833.  

Joseph Steret kept a Medical Journal from 11 September 1832 to 8 March 1833. He joined the Camden on 11 September 1832 at Deptford.

On the 15th September the vessel moved down to Woolwich where Steret examined 100 convicts on the various prison hulks - 60 men at the Justitia; 20 men at the Discovery; and 20 at the Ganymede.

The prisoners were sent on board the Camden that same day. The Camden then moved down to Sheerness and on the 17th September received on board another 100 prisoners from the Retribution at Sheerness; 30 from Cumberland; 40 from the Euryalus and 30 boy prisoners from the hulks at Chatham.

They departed London on 22 September but did not reach Plymouth until the 5th October, having been in considerable danger from a severe gale on the night of the 2nd October. They departed Plymouth on 13th October 1832.  

Joseph Steret's journal....... In general those marked down for this vessel were young healthy and in my opinion well calculated to bear the voyage. In a few days I found that my friends at the hulks contrived to palm off several with ulcers notwithstanding my utmost care. The Masters in more than one instance placed the Irons with which the prisoners came on board immediately on the diseased leg, which formed a good excuse for not taking the stockings off completely. At the Justitia hulk also they managed to put on an old man passing him off for fifty two; when he was shaved and cleaned and he must 'pass the Doctor" he looked mighty smart. However I found that he was over sixty. It is worthy noting that only two men out of two hundred expressed any reluctance to go (to NSW), one on account of his wife and family the other that he did not wish to leave England. All the rest were happy at the prospect of quitting the country and four or five whom I was obliged to reject begged vehemently to be permitted to accompany us.  

In December after almost three months at sea, the change in climate together with some wet and blowing weather caused a great variety of disease. The effects of the confinement of food also began to be felt by the convicts. In January they were round the Cape of Good Hope and continued running on the same parallel. Symptoms of sea scurvy began to manifest themselves, and did not abate until they reached Sydney on 18th February 1833 and procured fresh supplies. Some of the convicts were sent to the Hospital on arrival.  

The guard consisted of 29 rank and file of 21st regiment., accompanied by 5 women and 10 children under orders of Major Thomas Fairweather.  Select here to find convict ships bringing detachments of the 21st regiment.

Passengers included Lieut. Duff and Dr. Davidson; John Wilson, Church Missionary Mrs. Wilson and 2 children for New Zealand.

Notes & Links:  

1). Edward Davis alias George Wilkinson arrived on the Camden. He later joined a gang of bushrangers who became known as the Jew boy gang.  

2). Hunter Valley convicts & passengers arriving on the Camden in 1833

Major Fairweather served as Commandant at Launceston, Tasmania from 4 January 1834 to 23 April 1835.

4). Convict ships bringing detachments of the 21st regiment (Royal Scotch Fusiliers).......

Date/ Place of Departure Ship Command of the Guard
4 September 1832 London Mary 1833 Captain Daniels 21st regt.,
8 October 1832 Cork Roslin Castle 1833 Lieuts. Bayley & Pieter L. Campbell. 21st
22 September 1833 Sheerness Camden 1833 Major Thomas Fairweather 21st regt.,
17 November 1832 Portsmouth Andromeda 1833 Lieuts. Lonsdale & Armstrong 21st regt.,
14 December 1832 London Mangles 1833  
21 February 1833 Cork Portland 1833 Captain Frazer, 26th regt.,
21 February 1833 Downs Asia 1833 Lieuts. Kelly and Wilson of 6th regt.,
14 May 1833 Portsmouth Heroine 1833 Captain Mackay
-- June 1833 Sheerness Lord Lyndoch 1833 Lieut-Col. Leahy. Headquarters of 21st
4 June 1833 Dublin Royal Admiral 1833 Lieut. Ainslie 21st regt.,
5 June 1833 Portsmouth Captain Cook 1833 Captain Armstrong 21st regt.,
4 July 1833 Portsmouth Aurora 1833 Major Delisle 4th regt.,
24 July 1833 Cork Java 1833 Lieut. Wrixon, 21st regt.,
29 July 1833 Plymouth Neva 1833 Lieut. McEdwin 1st or Queens Own regt.,
25 August 1833 Downs Lloyds 1833 Lieut. McKnight 21st regt.,
27 October 1833 England Fairlie 1834  
28 March 1838 Bengal Merchant 1838 Lieut. Dear of 21st regt.,

5). John and Ann Wilson became Missionaries in New Zealand.....Below is an extract from Te Puna - A New Zealand Mission Station: Historical Archaeology in New Zealand By Angela Middleton.........


web counter