Free Settler or Felon

Search the Free Settler or Felon Database

Convict Ship James Pattison 1830 

Home Surgeons Conditions
Ship Index Captains Index Resources

Select from the Links below to find information about Convict Ships arriving in New South Wales, Norfolk Island and Van Diemen's Land between the years 1788 and 1850.

J -K L M N - O P - Q R S T - V W - Y

Embarked: 200 men
Voyage: 108 days
Deaths: 1
Surgeon's Journal: yes
Previous vessel: Asia arrived 13 January 1830
Next vessel: Katherine Stewart Forbes arrived 18 February 1830
Captain Joseph Grote
Surgeon Superintendent James Gilchrist
Follow the Irish Convict Ship Trail
The James Pattison was built in London in 1828.

Prisoners were transported to New South Wales on the James Pattison on this voyage in 1830 and in 1837

On 16th June 1829 the James Pattison returned to Portsmouth from Bengal and Madras after a voyage of six months. The vessel was engaged to take prisoners from Ireland to New South Wales and was re-fitted to accommodate the men who were to be embarked at Dublin.

Prisoners at Dublin were held in the Essex Hulk prior to embarking on the convict ships. The Freeman's Journal reported in August 1829.....

On Friday morning between the hours of six and seven o'clock, seventeen convicts were removed from Newgate to be put on board the hulk Essex, lying in the harbour at Kingstown. On their arrival at Kingstown such was the violence of the surf that no boat would venture to put out, to take them to the hulk, so that they had to remain on shore until such time as the force off the waves should have in some measure abated. (1)

The James Pattison departed Kingstown Harbour (Dun Laoghaire), Dublin on 2nd October 1829

James Gilchrist kept a Medical Journal from 11 August 1829 to 30 January 1830. His first patient mentioned in the journal was Isabella Drew, the child of Sergeant Drew of the 46th regiment who became ill while still in Kingstown harbour.  

After leaving Ireland the James Pattison experienced north-east winds and fine weather until in the vicinity of the equator. They were becalmed for eight days until, on the 6th November they picked up a south-east Trade wind. According to the surgeon, they had not experienced even one day of bad weather. There was a single case of disease similar to typhoid shortly after leaving Ireland but the surgeon took great care and there were no further outbreaks.

One of the prisoners, Pat Cooney died from Phthisis. He was only 23 but already ill and the surgeon at first refused to take him but was induced to do so by the medical men and the scarcity of convicts in the hulk.

The Guard consisted of 29th rank and file of detachments of regiments stationed in India. With the exception of three they had all been invalided home to England from India and were now returning to their regiments. Several had long standing diseases and were not as healthy as the convicts. Some were taken to the hospital in Sydney on landing.

The surgeon gave a very favourable report of the prisoners' conduct on the passage out. They were willing to obey every direction and kept themselves and the prison clean. The James Pattison arrived in Port Jackson on 20 January 1830 with 199 male prisoners.

A Muster was held on board by Colonial Secretary Alexander McLeay on 22nd January 1830. Information in the Indents include Name, Age, Education, Religion, Marital Status, Family, Native Place, Occupation, Offence, When and Where Tried, Sentence, Prior Convictions and Physical Description and to whom the men were assigned on arrival. Crimes included pick pocketing, stealing, vagrancy, burglary, robbery, rape, passing forged notes and manslaughter.

The convicts were landed on the morning of Saturday 30th January 1830 - most were assigned to settlers and the rest were sent to Parramatta Barracks.  The youngest was Robert Hunter age 11; William Ennis was 12 years of age, Dennis Garvin, John Travers and William Walker were all aged 13. These boys were all sent to Carter's Barracks on arrival.

Cabin Passengers included Mr. Hodgson, D.A.C.G.

The James Pattison was to sail for Madras and Calcutta on 20th February 1830  

Notes & Links:

1). James Gilchrist was also employed as surgeon on the Bussorah Merchant in 1831

2). Hunter Valley convicts / passengers arriving on the James Pattison in 1830

3).  Return of Convicts of the James Pattison assigned between 1st January 1832 and 31st March 1832 (Sydney Gazette 14 June 1832; 21 June 1832; 28 June 1832;  July 1832).....
Patrick Byrne Ploughman assigned to Dr. Fattorini at Sydney
Phillip Colloghan Labourer assigned to James Kingaby at Parramatta
Hugh Campbell Soldier and officer's servant assigned to Michael Ryan at Liverpool
Patrick Caffery Nailor assigned to John Spilsbury at Windsor
Garrett Farrell Coachman and groom assigned to Judge Stephen Sydney
John Goff Butcher assigned to H.P. Dutton at Hunter's River
Charles McMamer Brass founder assigned to William Greenland at Sydney
Edward Sweeny Tin man assigned to James Whittaker at Sydney

4). John Harte was recommended to have his family join him in New South Wales....


5). John Hilliard for having in his possession a forged note of the Bunk of Ireland, knowing it to be forged. It appeared from the evidence of the prosecutor Hugh Irwin who lives in the county of Armagh, that he had been in the house of William Hodgkins, publican, Lisburn, in January last, when the prisoner came in and sat down at the fire and called for a. glass of whiskey - after he drank it, he took a bundle of notes from his pocket, and was looking for a 25s. note to pay it with - prosecutor cast his eye over the notes and said he had no 25s. note there, they were all £1 notes, and observing some Bank of Ireland notes among them, asked prisoner if he. would swap four of them for four Belfast notes - after some hesitation, prisoner said he would and prosecutor put the notes in his pocket and set off fur home - shortly after prosecutor's wife took two of the note* to Portadown to pay for some clothes she was buying, and tendered them in payment, when she was told they were bad;  - she returned them to her husband, who then went back to Lisburn and had prisoner arrested and committed to gaol—Several witnesses were called who gave evidence of a similar nature ; and after some consultation among the Jury, they brought in a verdict of Guilty.—The Judge then sentenced him to transportation for 14- years. - Belfast Newsletter 31 March 1829 

6).   List of Ships entering/departing Port Jackson 1830...... 


(1) Freemans Journal 17 August 1829


web counter