Leslie Duguid was twenty years old
when he first arrived in Australia on
William Shand in October 1822.
He had been recommended as a free
settler and was made a grant of 2,000
acres of land, the first of several
dated 4th December 1822
Major Morisset, commandant at
Newcastle was informed that the
following men were granted permission
to proceed to Newcastle on the brig
James Mudie, Leslie Duguid,
Mr. Brown, Mr. Maxwell, Mr. Innes,
John Rotton, Mr. Icely, and William Henry
It was probably on
this excursion that he made the
selection of land shown on the far
left of the map below.
arrival in Newcastle the men would
have stepped out onto a wooden wharf.
They would have seen the handsome
stone built church high on the hill
and cottages dotted throughout the
settlement. Convict chain gangs worked
about the town with soldiers of the
48th regiment guarding them.
here to find out more about some
of the buildings in Newcastle in 1822.
Leslie Duguid was one of the first
landholders to take up an allotment in
the town of Newcastle.
voyage to England, Leslie Duguid
returned to New South Wales on the
Nassau in May 1825. He was
employed at the Bank of Australia in
Sydney and although he did not live
permanently at his country estate at
this time, he regularly visited and
was involved in local social events
and donated to worthy causes, such as
the building of a new Church.
In 1824 he was in dispute with his
Donohoe who later became one of
Australia's best known bushrangers was
assigned to the estate in July 1825
According to correspondence by
Duguid's farm was raided by
bushrangers on 21st September
Dealy gave a declaration about the
Declaration re bushrangers by Martin
Dealy, Overseer for Lesly Duguid,
1825 from State Records NSW
A cottage was built on Duguid's
Lochinvar estate and maintained by an
overseer. In 1828 John Burke was
employed as overseer at the estate.
Leslie Duguid married the
'amiable and accomplished'
Miss Ann Scargill, 2nd daughter of
the late Captain Scargill of 22nd
Regiment, at St. James Church, Sydney
in July 1830. Ann Scargill had arrived
on the ship
Asia in 1822, a fellow
James Reid and his daughters.
here to read White Family Letters,
Mitchell Library MSS 1806 transcribed
by Susan Tracey, in which mention is
made of Miss Scargill (1828))
In July 1834 Leslie Duguid's
estate was robbed by bushrangers - The
Sydney Herald reported that on
night of the 10th of December, three
bushrangers were taken on the estate
of Lochinvar by Leslie Duguid, Esq.,
assisted by two men of the mounted
police. At the time of their
apprehension, the runaways were
regaling themselves with a newly
killed calf, with the addition of
sundry vegetables in abundance.
Later in 1834, Duguid became the
Managing Director of the Commercial
Banking Company of Sydney. In 1847 the
profits for the half year amounting to
thousands of pounds were lost. Duguid
was suspended from the position of
Managing director and involved in
insolvency proceedings at his estate
at Cook's River.
In 1840 the
estate of Lochinvar was sold -
Sydney Herald - This splendid
Hunters' River estate will be brought
to the hammer by Mr. Smart at twelve
o'clock 2 April 1840. The property has
been divided into seventy five small
farms of different sizes, besides a
number of village allotments. A very
neat lithographed plan of the estate
had been published. -
Colonist recorded the results of
the auction: Lot 1, 118 acres with
Homestead, Garden, Orchard, etc was
sold to James Forbes Beattie Esq., for
1950. (On this lot is erected a
substantial brick building, which a
little expense in repair would convert
into a comfortable residence, of four
rooms with a pantry, kitchen, roomy
store, cellar, dairy, and servants
apartments, having a granary above 80
ft in length. Attached to the house is
a well fenced and well filled garden
and orchard - vines, oranges and
lemons and capable of being made to
yield £200 per annum from fruit alone.
There are stables, blacksmiths' shop
and huts on this lot which is bounded
on the north by the River Hunter, and
on the south principally by Loch
Kalrine, and nearly the whole of the
ground has been under cultivation
The house was
the subject of a painting shortly
after it was sold to J. Beattie. The
image shows Aboriginal people on the
banks of Kaluda creek. The house is in
the centre back of the picture. The
only outbuildings pictured were in the
front and a long pathway or road runs
up to the entrance of the house with
perhaps a young orchard on either
Aboriginal Heritage Assessment
Lochinvar Urban Release Area Hunter
Lot 2 133 acres was sold to J.
Beattie at £15 per acre £1995
Lots 3 - 10, 268 acres 21
perches to J. Beattie at £6 15s per
acres, £1796/ 7s 9d.
lots were sold to W.C. Wentworth, J.R.
Hatfield, G.B. White, J. Kettle, Ottos
Baldwin, P. Adnum, Henry Nowland, John
Callaghan and James Ross. Village
allotments were also sold.
Lochinvar estate was sold by J.W.
Buckland junior in 1858 and at that
time the dwelling house was described
as a substantial brick building,
containing front verandah, eight rooms
and pantry with detached kitchen.
Immediately behind the house were the
farm buildings including a large
store, fitted with counter; a harness
room and shed with four stall stable
forming one rang. There was a new
press house; extensive cellarage with
a loft over, still house, dairy
forming another range of buildings. At
the rear of these were buildings
consisting of cottages for labourers,
carriage house, cart sheds, stabling,
large barn with yards attached and
beyond these again were the
stockyards, milking yard and pigsties.
The orchard was situated at the front
of the house.
Part of the
Lochinvar estate was named Kaluda. In
1933 the Kaluda estate (520 acres)
which had been in the Doyle family for
more than 75 years was sold by
auction. It was purchased by Mr. A.
Gurr of Rothbury.
(1)Ancestry.com. New South Wales,
Australia, Colonial Secretary's
Papers, 1788-1825 Series: (NRS 937)
Copies of letters sent within the
Colony, 1814-1825 Item: 4/3507 Page: